Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th July 2007, 07:20   #1
BHPian

Unhappy New Wagon R Duo Broke Down

Hi guys , My new one and half month wagon r Duo with immobilzer broke down yesterday .I just drew a km and stopped to pick up some thing from my friend's house and to my horror the car refuses to start both fuel are half tank full.Called the maruti 24hr helpline service the guy took down my complaint and my contact number saying that the mechanic will call me back for the adress,promptly i recived a call from the RNS guys for the adress they came checked all the fuses and battery but now way she wasnt starting ,he told me there must be some electrical fault and this is common it happens all the time ,then he told me he will tow it to RNS motors guy me the recipt and towed it away .

Now guys can you plz help me out in this
what could be really the probs?
Should i place a complaint to maruti HO ?
Will i be charged? ( he told me only towing charges)

Thanks in advance
Shivkumar BS
shivkumar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 17:14   #2
BHPian

towing by a help line should normally be free of cost.

Do not worry, its not turning out to be a major problem, might be just a busted fusible link or faulty earthing.......it is difficult to locate but very simple to fix.

I know it pinches , if happens to a new car, be assured it will be allright.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 17:38   #3
BHPian

Could it be due to the Immobilizer kicking in.. ?

Nimz
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

They do charge for towing, but not something very high..
And the problem may be due to the immobilizer. I think there should be someway to reset the immobilizer using the remote itself. I had a similar experience once. The car suddenly refused to start, and not even the cranking sound was there. Called the helpline and the guy at the helpline told me to lock and unlock twice using the remote .After that the car came back to life again. BTW mine is a much old car and so the same may not have worked with your car's system..
Regards
Kaushik
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 19:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, I have noticed that Duo WR's are not as seamless in operation as perhaps their petrol counterparts. For instance, a colleague's WR Duo used to have its engine malfunction light come on everytime he switched to LPG. This was before the 1st service even. RNS did reset the indicator saying that this was a common occurence in Duo WRs. Now, he's been asked to rev the engine if the malfunction light comes on in LPG - a small "click" sound later - its gone. Not right from Maruti's side I say.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 19:42   #6
BHPian

Smile

Hi guys got my car back now ,the guys from RNS called around 12.30 at noon and told me some wiring probs near the ignition and it has been rectifed and it is ready for delivery .whew!!! what relief
shivkumar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 21:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Many guys reported same issue about WagonR Duo. Its expected minor and common issue from Maruti! Last week I saw one WagonR Duo in front of house tried to start the engine for more than 10 minutes and it started after trying again and again to start.

Just relax and lets hope for the best, I am sure they will fix it soon.

All the best!

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 07:59   #8
BHPian

Default Wagon R Duo Problems!!!

I have bought Wagon R Duo in Sept' 07, having some or other problem thereafter. I will discuss them in detail later, but currently the main 2 problems are as follows:

1) Sounds under the bonnet - "THUD" sound while starting the car after waiting a while in traffic light, its irregular. My driver opened the bonnet and found that the clamp of the air cleaner has opened, he fixed it. It happened 3-4 times and then we reported it to the service centre in the 2nd service. Mechanic changed it without any fuss, saying that may be air cleaner was not ok. Just 7 days back it happened again and when this time the one of the two clamp was broken, I called the service station guy and told him regarding the incident. He told me to come to the centre for a check up. I will be sending it today? What could be the reason/s?

2) There is some knocking / "KHAT KHAT" sound from steering with maximum turning to right when the car is started from standing position or in minimal speed. This sound is absent when the car is having moderate speed.
The service guys are saying the problem is with the 'Diasper' or Axle and it needs to be changed. What do you suggest guys should I go for a change of axle of a new car or wait for some time. What could be the other reasons?
sallubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 08:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
2) There is some knocking / "KHAT KHAT" sound from steering with maximum turning to right when the car is started from standing position or in minimal speed. This sound is absent when the car is having moderate speed.

Somebody posted a similar problem, (different car, different model) couple of weeks back here, and it turned out to be a bad mud flap hitting the tyres. So first check the mud flaps. You should be able do it your selves. More so because the problem occurs only when turning right.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 08:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

sallubhai, Khat-khat may be a flap issue, i will leave it to the more experienced ones.

the bang bang - SERIOUS ISSUE, its a engine back fire, have you heard of a diwali cracker -phatak- sound from autowallas mostly. It means either the iginition coil has taken in some water or the timing is altered. Please get it checked by a reliable mechanic ASAP or you are going to end up a sad owner. I am saying this by personal experience. Ques - Do you get your car water washed in a authorized maruti place Or a local one. Did you drive through heavily water logged area?

Damn - this is the 3rd wagon R DUO I am hearing about this issue. My friends car had the whole Air filter assembly blown away from the intake manifold, turned out the LPG injector had some tiny fault because of which there was a bang-bang every few minutes. Got a warranty job done at RNS bangalore, but at what cost? Who knows what the engine has suffered already?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 12:25   #11
BHPian

hmm.... guess the 'thud' sound which lifted the aircleaner clip is due to timing issue which happens with multiple reasons.

Once I faced this trouble immediately after filling Reliance LPG and continued intermitently till the tank go dry! Later when I checked the air cleaner, that was a shocking sight as I could find many burns here and there!!!

It didn't showup with IOC/BP LPG's! So I think the quality of fuel has to do something with it! Check it!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 13:51   #12
BHPian

I hope he didn't charge for towing. If it's a manufacturer defect they should bear ALL costs and charges. When I had problems with my Estilo, they had the car picked up and dropped from my residence which is about 10 -12 kms from the workshop. No charges.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 14:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. Towing charges should not be payable as the vehicle is new and it just dropped dead in the middle of the road. Its the manufacturers fault. They should be lucky if the owner of the vehicle did not press charges against them.

As a matter of fact Tata does not charge towing charges in similar cases. They did not charge me long back when my brakes jammed in the middle of the roads and the car refused to budge an inch.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 22:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
sallubhai, Khat-khat may be a flap issue, i will leave it to the more experienced ones.

the bang bang - SERIOUS ISSUE, its a engine back fire, have you heard of a diwali cracker -phatak- sound from autowallas mostly. It means either the iginition coil has taken in some water or the timing is altered. Please get it checked by a reliable mechanic ASAP or you are going to end up a sad owner. I am saying this by personal experience. Ques - Do you get your car water washed in a authorized maruti place Or a local one. Did you drive through heavily water logged area?
Thanks everybody for the quick answers. I am grateful to this forum for so many reasons, though my contribution is very little... not little its nil!
Even today at service centre 'Machino Techno' the guys who were handling my car were giving it back to me after changing the air cleaner. But this time luck was not favoring them, there was a thud or phatak sound from the engine when started and I said firmly that I will not be taking the car if the problem is not solved.
One Maruti Duo engineer was called up and after checking the tuning of the engine he rebuked all the centre guys who were in charge of the car... it showed something near 20-22. He changed the tuning of the LPG and after doing the whole job the reading showed 62. One very important thing that me and my driver found later that the vibration of the Gear shaft when the engine is running (LPG) but the car is not in motion has gone (This vibration was absent when the car was run in Petrol mode) and the AC sound has gone down considerably!! According to the driver the car has become smoother when being driven in LPG.

The 2nd issue regarding steering issue - Mud flap has been checked, no problem. The engineer who has come also said that the problem lies with the axle, but regarding change he said there is no urgency!
sallubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 04:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
The 2nd issue regarding steering issue - Mud flap has been checked, no problem. The engineer who has come also said that the problem lies with the axle, but regarding change he said there is no urgency!
Two things
1. driveshaft
2. tierod and tierod ends.

It could be the drivehsaft (axle). but your car is quite new, strange!

Do one thing. turn your steering to extreme right. and chk underneath. you will see something like image below.

check that rubber boot is not damaged and leaking grease. if yes your axle is had. it can be repaired but best bet would be to go for new (Rs.3600 MGP)

if you hear similar sound even when driving over speed breakers, then tierod and ends are damaged, they are quite cheap.
Attached Images

SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote