Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th July 2007, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Default Problem with Matiz silencer/muffler

The silencer of my Matiz is all cracked up and I plan to get it repaired.

1. Can I opt for the silencer of any hatchback car as a replacement or are there any Matiz compatible silencers
2. How much will this cost.
3. Is it true that a bad silencer affects mileage.

Thanks in advance
Ram
yeggina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up silencer

3. Is it true that a bad silencer affects mileage.

IMHO not unless the silencer is so chocked that it effects back pressure on the exhaust flow.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:36   #3
BHPian

yeggina@ welcome to team-bhp. We wud appreciate a small intro from you in the respective thread.

Anyways, coming to your query. I own a matiz for 7 years and in these many years, I have changed the car's exhaust for 5 times. I know other Matiz owners with similar experience. The point here is, Matiz exhaust gets corroded too soon, inferior quality of the material being the reason.

1. Can I opt for the silencer of any hatchback car as a replacement or are there any Matiz compatible silencers -
NO. Matiz silencers are available in the market. They cost around 1500-1800 out here in Pune. Fitting charges extra.

3. Is it true that a bad silencer affects mileage -
Cracked/corroded exhaust will not affect the mileage....Exception: a corroded exhaust makes u feel as if you have a FFE....u race (roar) more and mileage drops.

My suggestion is buy out a new one and before installing get it rubber painted....
zakaaaaasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Matiz silencers are notorious for their bad quality in the spares market. I have changed my silencers innumerable times and end up getting cheap reconditioned ones. I used to pay Rs 1200 for the muffler unit. Never a geneuine spare - you don't get any.

You cant use any other muffler unit because of the difference in flange, bolt, size and routing, etc.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 06:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss
My suggestion is buy out a new one and before installing get it rubber painted....
What about getting a stainless steel/aluminium-coated one ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 07:08   #6
BHPian

I got my silencer changed for the first time few months back in 6 years. Got it for Rs 575 (Rear). You can get the mid cleaned and they say front doesn't get bad that easily. Got it from Sec 48 car market, Chandigarh.
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote