Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd July 2007, 13:55   #1
BHPian

Default What's so assuring about the door thud?

I was reading an article abt stile on carwalle.

Actual article at:
Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLX User Review : i hope Greeksrik will take it cool for puting his review here . - A Review on Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLX by Rishab_7 - CarWale.com India

The 6th point grabbed my attention:
" nothing to be anxious about since the reassuring door thud still is there! (if you know what i mean)"

My question is what's so reassuring abt the door thud?
Does it mean that the car's safe since its built in a fashion which results in that noise?

If heavy weight (I got the impression that the author is giving importance to weight and the door noise) of the car is the criterion for safety, I think its quite difficult to beat the good old Amby!
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:21   #2
BHPian

I think it has to do with the heaviness or fullness of metal than a feel of hollow door. It will be naive to think safety ends there, I believe it is one of the factors that gives confidence. It is probably a feel of my car has been made of stronger metal. In general this heaviness and weight in my experience results in a couple of things: assuring thud meaning confidence and stability at high speeds.

If thud is missing does not have to mean its an unsafe car, but can raise a few questions in the minds of owners that have seen good thuds.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:39   #3
BHPian

it also means that the car is more resistant to rattles
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The better-built the car, the less the thud!

But we still know, by the sound, whether or not the door is properly shut. Non-driver passengers may not have that awareness, though they may have closed as many car doors as a driver. Curious, that!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

It could also mean that your car will give you sleepless nights if you are the Fuel Efficiency oriented person.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It could also mean that your car will give you sleepless nights if you are the Fuel Efficiency oriented person.
Not necessary. My friend gets a approx 16 kmpl on his 1.6 GTX.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go take a 15km drive on the Ford fusion 1.6 and the Fiat Adventure 1.6. If possible cross the 110km mark. You will get the answer to your question.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:11   #8
BHPian

Default no thud no throne??

the thud sound is indicative of the gauge of metal used which in turn shows how it can cope to day-to-day use. thinner gauge metal means lighter and probably a more fuel efficient car but also a car which is easily prone to dings and dents.

the safety aspect as far as the "thud" is concerned is questionable. i think we can all agree in the event of a crash sheet metal isnt reallllly going to contribute to your safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
i find that HARD to believe! unless of course its a 1.6 GTX hybrid which works flintstones style!
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

one thing is.. if you are used to the 'thud' cars, and if you happen to get into your friend's car.. you will keep banging the door shut till you hear the 'thud' :-) your friend will think you have gone crazy!
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:22   #10
BHPian

The thunk sound it is very reassuring. Thats all I know. :-) This is from my previous Palio experience. My current Verna doesn't give that sound. :-(
kruzader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Nice one. I would still prefer a thud over a clang.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
i find that HARD to believe! unless of course its a 1.6 GTX hybrid which works flintstones style!
Hi flipsyde,

I own palio 1.6 GTX and it gives me 15kmpl on highways with AC on all the time.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

ravikn i do not know how you drive that car of yours, but if a 1.6 GTX gives you 15+ average with AC on then i must say that you are definitely missing the fun that 1.6 GTX is. even then i will be rather circumspect about your claim.

by the way, coming back to the topic, the door thud is not necessarily about safety. however it signifies the workmanship, the build quality. there is nothing like a nicely built car that feels "solid". and for that you do not need to "keep banging the door" to hear that thud. this is the sound that comes when you shut the merc doors. it has to do with heavy gauge metal sheets, closed and tight shut lines, it has to do with in general high class of build. it is the feeling of reassurance that people hanker for that "nice, reassuring thud" when they close their doors as opposed to the metallic clang.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Terrific man, your friend's car should be taken back by fiat for R&D purposes. The 1.6 will sell like hot cakes if it can manage that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

na palio gives good mileage with the rpm at a constant 3k rpm but who drives a 1.6 that way :P

i remember i got 13.5kmpl when i was in run in period for a 300km run, 200 in city and 100 on highway..

Last edited by bottle : 22nd July 2007 at 23:52.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote