Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th July 2007, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default AC Compressor Problem: Info & Advice

My OHC has done about 70k kms in about 8+ odd years.

2-3 days back I suddenly hear a sound like - gadd gadd gadd gadd gadd gadd when I switch the AC on. The sound immediately disappears once I switch it Off.

I popped the hood to check it out because my immediate thought was that something is touching the fan-belt. However, that was not the case.

Although he does not so any AC work, I take it to my trusted mechanic who's immediate diagnosis is that the Compressor is damaged and it should be replaced ASAP. Also, he mentioned that in the past few days, I must have been feeling a major drop in pickup with the AC On - that happens due to Compressor taking extra load just before it reaches the conking off stage. In retrospect, I realized that what he was saying was true, therefore was almost sure of his judgment on Compressor being the problem.

Also, as per him, this is a common ageing problem that crops up in OHC's. Repairing is not an option in this case. He recommends I show it to the local AC guy (his reference) the next day.

I then called up the inhouse OHC expert - Iraghava - he confirmed that the sound corresponded to Compressor issue. Apparently, his compressor had packed when the car was at 11k (or was it in 11 months?) and he got it replaced under warranty.

Later, Courtesy Honda confirmed that Compressor had packed and gave a quote of 43K. Mentioned a couple of things that would be changed apart from the compressor like the AC clutch(?) etc.

Mechanics Reference has given me a quote of about 12k.
10,200 - Compressor (3 months warranty only !!)
1000 - AC gas
500 - some bottle that will be changed
300 - Air flow cleaning, general servicing etc.

Experts, Please Advice -
  • Anything specific I should keep in mind, pointers etc. ??
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default For the Mods

Although I found 2 small Threads on a similar issue, I've created a new more comprehensive one - Please merge as you deem fit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cessively.html (AC compressor loading engine excessively) - A small thread where he tries to figure out the problem in his OHC Ac, narrows it down to compressor and fixes it for 15k

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...en-turned.html (AC Issues & Noise when it is turned on)
- some screeching noise in his AC. I think it was the fan-belt.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why does the bottle need to be changed? Compressor changing has got nothing to do with the bottle unless the oil from the compressor has run into the lines totally.

But even in that case a thorough cleaning settles the issue.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Why does the bottle need to be changed? Compressor changing has got nothing to do with the bottle unless the oil from the compressor has run into the lines totally.

But even in that case a thorough cleaning settles the issue.
I had asked him the same. He had mentioned that something is eating into something as a side-effect of the gadd gadd noise which changes its shape at the edges or something like that, and leads to ineffecient sealing bla bla bla. Therefore, to avoid future problems, changing is best.

Since I didn't even know which bottle he was talking about, I really bother as it was less that 5% of the total cost.

As it'll be a 2 hr job or so, I'll be with him when he works on it, so will check it out then and let you know accordingly. I could take a few pictures of WIP if you want me to?
Old 26th July 2007, 13:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Mechanics Reference has given me a quote of about 12k.
10,200 - Compressor (3 months warranty only !!)
Is that an OEM Sanden or some local compressor. The compressor costed me around 14.5K last year in Bangalore apart from Rs.1500 for AC gas & oil and leak test.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 14:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
Is that an OEM Sanden or some local compressor. The compressor costed me around 14.5K last year in Bangalore apart from Rs.1500 for AC gas & oil and leak test.
@ Pankaj - Thanks for the info.

He mentioned that mine would be OE and sealed etc. but I didn't know what the OE brand was. Now that you say its Sanden I will verify the same.

Now that its been an year, any issues with the AC or is it as good as new?

@ iraghava - Can you confirm? Are there any other OE suppliers as well? Do the vtec and non-vtec use the same Compressor?
Old 26th July 2007, 14:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Sanden is the OE compressor, our old city had same issue and in Bangalore the dealer charges Rs 33,000 for replacing the same 2 years back. Only compressor was replaced and gas refilled.

Car had done just 30,000 kms at that time.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 14:29   #8
BHPian

Denso is the other OEM for Honda. But the OHC had Sanden.

There hasn't been any problem since I got it replaced.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 16:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Manveet - Pankaj & Jaggu are right, Sanden is the OE on all OHC's, so ideally look for that.

And my car's compressor was replaced when she had done about 30k-odd & was 11 months old, so it was covered under warranty.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 17:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manveet, no need of pics of WIP. But would be interested in the reason for change of the bottle; irrespective of the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I had asked him the same. He had mentioned that something is eating into something as a side-effect of the gadd gadd noise which changes its shape at the edges or something like that, and leads to ineffecient sealing bla bla bla. Therefore, to avoid future problems, changing is best.

Since I didn't even know which bottle he was talking about, I really bother as it was less that 5% of the total cost.

As it'll be a 2 hr job or so, I'll be with him when he works on it, so will check it out then and let you know accordingly. I could take a few pictures of WIP if you want me to?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 18:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Manveet do post WIP pics, will be helpful for others to understand the AC system better.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 04:25   #12
BHPian

Hi Manveet, so what happened then got the AC compressor rectified?
navin_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 18:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ran into this thread somehow.

Update: It's been almost 2 years, the AC is working perfecto.

Car is has now done 88k kms, so thats about 18k kms on the new compressor.

Last edited by manveet : 25th April 2009 at 18:42.
Old 21st July 2016, 16:00   #14
BHPian

Default Re: AC Compressor Problem: Info & Advice

whats the cost of the new compressor now , any idea where in bangalore i can get it . thanks
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote