Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 11:22   #16
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Thanx guys, I think i should get my wheel balancing and allignment first.But i have a question here:How come the steering gets heavy (hard) after 60kmh (like a electronic steering).
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 12:38   #17
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
not only on the brakes, no need to use the brakes when you're dropping down from 130-150, lifting off the throttle is enough,, but it still shakes like crazy...
I had the same problem in my esteem it was becuse of the suspensions, at around 90kmh my steering used to shake and anything above this use to go crazy on steering.Maruti service centre guys told me its because of the suspensions , bush etc. etc.
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 13:48   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
Thanx guys, I think i should get my wheel balancing and allignment first.But i have a question here:How come the steering gets heavy (hard) after 60kmh (like a electronic steering).
Most hydrolic power steering are designed this way that the servo assistance tappers of as speed climbs, so you will have this feeling, especially since your running upsize tyres.

Again your alloys PCD / Offset are all within specs right?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 13:50   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
I had the same problem in my esteem it was becuse of the suspensions, at around 90kmh my steering used to shake and anything above this use to go crazy on steering.Maruti service centre guys told me its because of the suspensions , bush etc. etc.
Yes when the front suspension is weak it can cause shudder at certain speeds. Symptoms start at high speeds, so follow the cue and get the suspension fixed.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 11:43   #20
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Most hydrolic power steering are designed this way that the servo assistance tappers of as speed climbs, so you will have this feeling, especially since your running upsize tyres.

Again your alloys PCD / Offset are all within specs right?
Thanx Jaggu fr the information, and yes i checked everything bout the PCD Offset etc on team bhp forum and then got them fixed.
So is it normal that the steering will get lighter on high speed? If so how do guys drive on high speed. fr me with this kind of steering behaviour ,its really tough and makes me nervous.
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:35   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

Refer samurai's post baleno's have a problem with floating front at high speeds, taken care to an extent by better footwear. If you want more, check with Psycho if he can do some tweaking
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:40   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

High speed steering can be ususally fixed in this order (note excluding better footwear in this list):

1) Wheel Balancing: Takes care of the shudders
2) Bush Replacement / Tie Rod End replacement: Takes care of the car following contours of the road and the basic floating feel
3) Camber Adjustment: Can be done on some cars from the factory in other cars will have to be manually adjusted: For better stability and cornering
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:45   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

Psycho bro: this is relatively a new car and owner (spider) says the wheels are light and no apparent vibrations or anything, si i guess 2 and 3 are more applicable.

Spider: why dont you PM psycho since you got his attention
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 13:06   #24
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Sometimes the floating sensation is a simple funda of heavy crosswinds too.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 13:41   #25
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
High speed steering can be ususally fixed in this order (note excluding better footwear in this list):

1) Wheel Balancing: Takes care of the shudders
2) Bush Replacement / Tie Rod End replacement: Takes care of the car following contours of the road and the basic floating feel
3) Camber Adjustment: Can be done on some cars from the factory in other cars will have to be manually adjusted: For better stability and cornering
Thanx Psycho fr the information,when u say bush replacement.. is there a problem with the bushes in balenos? as my car is just 5 months old.
And what is Camber Adjustment? and how much r these gonna cost me?
I feel odd ... Buying a new car one expects it to be perfect atleast fr a year n a half , i think its a better option to go fr a used car and spend that extra amount on moding the car...
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 14:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,312
Thanked: 4,388 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
Thanx Psycho fr the information,when u say bush replacement.. is there a problem with the bushes in balenos? as my car is just 5 months old.
And what is Camber Adjustment? and how much r these gonna cost me?
I feel odd ... Buying a new car one expects it to be perfect atleast fr a year n a half , i think its a better option to go fr a used car and spend that extra amount on moding the car...
I dont think thats a problem with Baleno in general. My Baleno is 2 years 4 months old and has travelled extensively in almost all types of terrains and no problems till now (touch wood) except a clanking noise from the steering wheel (that is discussed ina seperate thread by Shivshanker). So I would suggest to go to a good mechanic and get the problems sorted out.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 23:28   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
not only on the brakes, no need to use the brakes when you're dropping down from 130-150, lifting off the throttle is enough,, but it still shakes like crazy...
Do you sense the same vibrations on your way up? If it does, then can you please drive, with the wheel fully turned, in a circle to check for any loud clap sound. I am pointing at the case of a Worn CV joint, which is nost likely not the case , but also a possibility.

If it does not happen while accelerating, it actually is an indicator of one or more steering bushes. On acceleration the driveshaft power keeps the steering linkages taught. But on deceleration (as the driveshaft power is absent) the play in one or more bushes is causing this. To check, jack the vehicle wheel up and rock the wheel by hand to check for play of the tie-rod either on the steering knuckle or at the other ends. However does you car tend to veer off-direction?

All this considering that you have already gotten the wheel balancing done.

Last edited by 1100D : 6th August 2007 at 23:40.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Sometimes the floating sensation is a simple funda of heavy crosswinds too.
or very bad tyre specs & tyres.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 10:10   #29
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Smile

thanx guys fr the comments , this sunday ill get my wheel balancing and allignment first, after that ill check it again
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loose Steering (Too much play in the steering) mithun Technical Stuff 5 23rd October 2012 12:35
Maruti Esteem - Non Power Steering to Power Steering udit78 Modifications & Accessories 14 4th May 2011 13:29
Power steering to manual steering? ramzsys Technical Stuff 18 11th August 2010 23:16
All wheel steering vs front wheel steering SamtheLeo Technical Stuff 17 28th July 2009 20:11
Electric Power Steering Vs. Hydraulic Power Steering joseph5600 Technical Stuff 3 19th November 2007 20:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks