Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th August 2007, 20:51   #1
BHPian

Default Accent Steering Wobble

Dear All,
I've bought an 2004 Accent which has done 27,000 Kms. The steering wheel starts to wobbles from speed of 20 kmph and stops once the car crosses 35 kmph . What can be possible cause for it. I want to get your opinions before I show the car to service station as I don't want to be taken for a ride by them. Pls help. Thanks....
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 23:20   #2
BHPian

check your alignment and balancing, i have the same problem with my car and this is the advice everyone else gave me
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's the Balancing primarily, alignment normally has nothing to with Steering wobble. Get it checked at a decent place.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's the Balancing primarily, alignment normally has nothing to with Steering wobble. Get it checked at a decent place.
If balancing is the issue, steering should wobble all the time innit?
If alignment is the issue, tyres would wear out unevenly which will then result in steering wheel wobble during particular speeds only.

My car steering wobbles between 60 - 65 mph. This is the result of car pulling to the right due to alignment issue. The outer edge of the right front tyre and inner edge of left front tyre has excessive wear.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
If balancing is the issue, steering should wobble all the time innit?
Not really, with experience I can safely say that even when only Balancing issues exist, in most cases they manifest themselves in certain speed bands and are usually solved by getting the wheels balanced at a decent place.

It can also happen with uneven wear due to faulty alignment like you said but, for that to happen especially on our rock hard tyres you would need to really run the car for quite an amount of distance (usually in thousands of kms.) to get that kind of uneven wear.
Old 7th August 2007, 03:14   #6
BHPian

He bought a used car that has 27,000 kms on it and that is the reason why I felt it was alignment issue.

Saurabh:

A simple test you can do to carefully check both the front tyres. Turn the steering wheel full click to the right or left and see if the inner edge of the tire has more wear than the outer edge (and opposite on the other wheel). If it does, then its alignment problem. Get new tyres first and then have it aligned. If there is no uneven wear, then it would be balancing issue as Ishaan mentioned.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 10:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
He bought a used car that has 27,000 kms on it and that is the reason why I felt it was alignment issue.

Saurabh:

A simple test you can do to carefully check both the front tyres. Turn the steering wheel full click to the right or left and see if the inner edge of the tire has more wear than the outer edge (and opposite on the other wheel). If it does, then its alignment problem. Get new tyres first and then have it aligned. If there is no uneven wear, then it would be balancing issue as Ishaan mentioned.
Thanks a lot for the advice, I've checked that and I was unable to find out any uneven wear on the tyres. How much should the wheel balancing cost me?
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 13:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Should not cost more then 200 Rs for balancing all 4 wheels.And better you get the alignment also checked.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:06   #9
BHPian

where can i get this done in b;lore? besides the showrooms?
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 15:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go to any of the Tyre shops.They'll have wheel balancing/alignment machines.And also there are few workshops who will do the same.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
where can i get this done in b;lore? besides the showrooms?
At all good tyre showrooms. For more specific locations contact one of the Bangy members like v1p3r, vid6639, mclaren1885 etc.
Old 7th August 2007, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Balancing is the culprit here. Get it done at the earliest.
There are many tyres shops that do alignment and balancing, in which part of bangalore do you stay?
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote