Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 13:56   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I use the rat poison powder (not too sure about the brand), mixed with atta and onion (so that the rats cannot smell the poison) to keep them away. Also, got to know from one of my friend that boric acid powder also keep rats away. I haven't yet tried it though.
Wow Murali ! That is quite a main course meal for the little fellow . I still maintain and suggest people to go ahead and try by placing Tobacco Pouches @ the various entry points for the intruders .
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th October 2008, 14:06   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Wow Murali ! That is quite a main course meal for the little fellow . I still maintain and suggest people to go ahead and try by placing Tobacco Pouches @ the various entry points for the intruders .
When the shop keeper had suggested the onion part, I was quite surprised and asked him why. He said that they are smart and can smell poison. And sure, I will try tobacco pouches as well.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 14:07   #183
BHPian

Hey guys,

I will try this for sure, tobacco pouches !! are we referring to the pouch we get at the smaller stores outside town or will emptying a few cigarettes under the carpet also help and can be vacuumed later. I had this problems during the rains and the rat had a party in the car since the car is not used when I am not in India !!!

I noticed someone asking about electronic cigarettes, a good brand is Gamucci but the refils are hard to find in the Middle East. The Govt has banned those if i am not wrong !!
Srini76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 14:14   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hey guys,

I will try this for sure, tobacco pouches !! are we referring to the pouch we get at the smaller stores outside town or will emptying a few cigarettes under the carpet also help and can be vacuumed later. I had this problems during the rains and the rat had a party in the car since the car is not used when I am not in India !!!

I noticed someone asking about electronic cigarettes, a good brand is Gamucci but the refils are hard to find in the Middle East. The Govt has banned those if i am not wrong !!
Srini! Thes pouches i am referring to are the ones available in smaller stores (read as pan shops) outside town and in Telugu they are referred to as "CHHUTTA" . These are basically tobacco leaves and have quite a pungent smell to ward off the little intruders. Definitely not the Stylish Stamina Sticks or so called Cigarettes when i meant Tobacco Pouches . You can find these on the outskirts of a town with most of the village population love these for a smoke.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 8th October 2008 at 14:15.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:47   #185
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Default Use WD40 to keep rats at bay

Buy a can of WD40 and spray it in and around your engine bay. Most rodents like rats, cockroaches find the smell very offensive and will stay away from your car. I used the same when I had rats feasting on the fuel lines of my M 800

Spraying WD40 also serves a dual purpose of acting a water repellent.

Try it, it definitely works

Cheers,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 08:48   #186
BHPian

Cool

Ok...stupid question...can the WD 40 be sprayed inside the car as well??
Vivek.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 10:42   #187
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Ok...stupid question...can the WD 40 be sprayed inside the car as well??
Absolutely, it can be sprayed if you don't mind the mild smell that emnates from it. Like I mentioned rats and other rodents hate this smell and will not mistake your car's wires for food!

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 11:39   #188
BHPian

Solution No. 1 Don't eat in your car..hehehe kidding.
Put Ratkill all over the car.."Chuhe isse kha kar mare bahar ja kar"
I hope you are not doing 100 kms an hour when they try to get out the car for obvious reason..everybody feels bad for Road killed.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 10th October 2008 at 11:44.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 11:43   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Srini! Thes pouches i am referring to are the ones available in smaller stores (read as pan shops) outside town and in Telugu they are referred to as "CHHUTTA" . These are basically tobacco leaves and have quite a pungent smell to ward off the little intruders. Definitely not the Stylish Stamina Sticks or so called Cigarettes when i meant Tobacco Pouches . You can find these on the outskirts of a town with most of the village population love these for a smoke.
Well well be carefull Ramdoss is watching, before giving the rat tobacco you need to make sure he is above 18 years and he does not consume it in Public places...
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 12:35   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Well well be carefull Ramdoss is watching, before giving the rat tobacco you need to make sure he is above 18 years and he does not consume it in Public places...
that was a good one sharma and as "gpa" mentioned about WD40, will graduate to that product and abstain from smoking out the rats under the hood.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:49   #191
Senior - BHPian

But where are you guys going to apply WD40 in the interior?? I dont see any "compatible" place where you can apply/spray it!!! Dashboard, painted areas, rugs are definitely not things which are supposed to be saturated in WD40! Also dont forget, the fumes are very likely toxic!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 15:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

As Raccoon mentioned using the WD40 under the hood is a good idea unlike inside the car itself as it does have toxic fumes and definitely not advisable to use it inside the car. I dont see it necessary to use inside the car unless you have an entry for the little fellas underneath which i doubt it but can never say
Old 10th October 2008, 16:21   #193
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Also dont forget, the fumes are very likely toxic!
Hi Raccoon,

WD-40 doesn't emnate any toxic fumes. It has a mild smell that some people could find offensive if sprayed in the interiors of a car.

More importantly, once sprayed, the smell does tend to decrease over time to our human noses, but will still be strong enough to affect the rodents..

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 17:05   #194
Senior - BHPian

Kindly check on a can of WD40. It clearly says use only in ventilated area. Fumes can be harmful or fatal if inhaled... etc, etc!

It is a volatile petroleum distillate. Should NOT be inhaled even if there was no warning!!!

Moreover, smell as we percieve it and harmful fumes dont necessarily have a direct relation.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 19:27   #195
BHPian

Big NO for WD40 inside cabin.
Also don't spray on nuts and bolts under the bonnet -what is these becomes loose with vibrations?
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote