Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: How long do you wait to switch on the AC in your car during a cold start ?
Immediately on starting 52 22.51%
1-2 Mins after start 92 39.83%
4-5 Mins after start 71 30.74%
10 or more Mins after start 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th August 2007, 21:46   #136
BHPian

Thanks for inputs folks, I used to keep AC & ICE switched off while I park in garage in night, so anyway when I start engine the next morning, those remain switched off.

@akshay & 1100D, somewhere I read that it doesn't hurt anything if you frequently switch engine on & off rather than keeping it idle that wastes fuel. So if I guess that I might need to wait for more than a minute or so, I switch off engine.

ICE is turned off while starting engine, but AC is not, if I am not wrong.

(P.S: I searched for AC and so, no thread seemed to have discussed it)

Last edited by sathya_nars : 8th August 2007 at 21:47.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 22:01   #137
Senior - BHPian

Sathya,
It is advisible to switch off both the AC and ICE while starting the engine. In my car, the CD got struck up in the changer itself when I started the engine with ICE running. This happened twice. The audio guy (Top Gear)informed me to switch off the ICE while starting the engine. While if the AC is on during start it puts unnecessary load on the engine while starting.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 22:06   #138
BHPian

If your car covers good amount of distance everyday, ie. battery gets enough charge, it is better to switch off the engine while stopping over 1-2 minutes. It rather saves fuel. However, you should do it only if the engine is already warm (your temp needle should be in halfway mark). On cold engine, you should avoid frequent starting as it will draw extra fuel and not good for engine as lubrication is low in cold engine.

I think most modern cars have cut off for AC/ICE while starting the car anyway. In case it is not, it is advisable to switch off everything before starting the engine.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 22:21   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
@akshay & 1100D, somewhere I read that it doesn't hurt anything if you frequently switch engine on & off rather than keeping it idle that wastes fuel. So if I guess that I might need to wait for more than a minute or so, I switch off engine.
More than a Minute or so, definitely switching off helps. But you have to sit in a car that starts to get warmer by the moment!!!
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 22:36   #140
BANNED

Most of the battery mongers are shut down automatically in many modern cars these days. Including AC and ICE.

On cold starts, it is always better to switch off everything before you even put your key into the ignition if you have forgotten to do so last night.

This topic has been discussed earlier and for the search function to work at it's best, you need to input a word with atleast 3 letters.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 23:44   #141
BHPian

Quote:
OT - Well I was told frequent switching on and off is bad for the starter mechanism as thier life is measured in number of on/off cycles and not switch off engine at lights which are less than 100 seconds.

Nimz
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 03:55   #142
BHPian

i have seen mechs at service stations switch everything off before starting the engine, aircon,ICE,even the fan....
personally, i almost always, crank the engine with the aircon switch on.
have never had a problem by following this practice with any of my cars so far.
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 06:41   #143
BHPian

Like [doctorkats], I also do not switch off ICE and AC while starting the engine in my Swift and in my earlier Alto. I have not faced any problems.

While the electrical parts are taken care of the increased engine load on cold start should certainly be a concern. I should start practicing to switch off AC while starting.

Last edited by goldsun : 9th August 2007 at 06:41. Reason: mis-spelled
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 08:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(P.S: I searched for AC and so, no thread seemed to have discussed it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
This topic has been discussed earlier and for the search function to work at it's best, you need to input a word with atleast 3 letters.
A similar issue & the same issue has been discussed here. (Switching on Your AC in Cold Start)

cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 08:53   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I read some article in net/automags which said "to ensure longer run for engine & AC, it is advisable to switch off AC while starting the engine".

I am not sure how far it is true - while I'm paying 8L for a car (have SX4), I expect these things must have been taken care. Manual doesn't mention it.

It is not practically possible to switch off & on AC frequently, since in city traffic conditions I switch off engine if I know I will need to wait for more than a minute.

What do you guys think?
------------------------------------------

You would ruin your engine if you are in a practice to leave the a/c button ON.

Basically at start, the load will increase on the engine if a/c is switched on before start and that will increase the engine wear & tear.
just like the load on battery increases and leads to short life of battery if headlights are left ON before car start.

This is a logical phenomenon and nothing that you expect in a car if you have spent 8 lacs.

make your SX4 live longer .............
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 09:22   #146
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread merged.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:01   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
You would ruin your engine if you are in a practice to leave the a/c button ON.

Basically at start, the load will increase on the engine if a/c is switched on before start and that will increase the engine wear & tear.
Sorry sir, I don't agree. I never switch the A/C off in my car. At 80.5K km, I don't think my engine is ruined.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:10   #148
BHPian

I start the AC on 1-2 mins after startup.

NEVER EVER at engine startup.

And,... I never roll down my windows, (except to pay toll ) always use the A/C (100%). I make sure to keep the interiors clean and super clean even after a family visit to Bushy dam, Lonavla. Make it a point never to eat food inside the car.

I turn off the AC only when I feel the need to drag. After all it is a VTEC.

Last edited by gbpscars : 9th August 2007 at 10:14.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 12:32   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately the four choices do not contain my way.

The AC is permanently on. The car is started with the AC on.

This will not only bring down the engine life but will drain your batteries faster. Beware.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 15:14   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sorry sir, I don't agree. I never switch the A/C off in my car. At 80.5K km, I don't think my engine is ruined.
How many batteries have you changed ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote