Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: How long do you wait to switch on the AC in your car during a cold start ?
Immediately on starting 52 22.51%
1-2 Mins after start 92 39.83%
4-5 Mins after start 71 30.74%
10 or more Mins after start 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2007, 16:48   #151
BHPian

Most of the time AC is kept ON in my 2002 Palio. One thing i have noticed, ICE, AC and headlamps are turned off the moment you turn the starter key. System is switching all these off to take care of the problem with the batteries.
Even if I start with AC on, actual ac clutch engaging sound is heard only 2-3 seconds after engine starts. I think this make sure that the starter don't have to take the load of the AC as well while starting.

I am not sure whether this is the case with other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
This will not only bring down the engine life but will drain your batteries faster. Beware.
vinodv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 19:07   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately the four choices do not contain my way.

The AC is permanently on. The car is started with the AC on.
Rajesh,

You may save your engine by using the synthetic oils or whatever that helps you to save it from over revving as soon as you start it with AC ON. But its always advised to start the vehicle with as less electrical accessories 'ON' as possible. Otherwise the alternator is the one which is going to dead before the engine! You have waited till you place your key in the key hole and twist it to start the vehicle- then why cant you wait at least till the engine start to switch on the AC
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 19:10   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
In the morning rush hour, when you start your car for the first time, do you give the engine enough time to heat up & then switch on the AC ? This is one thing most of us fail to do. So let us see which is the majority here. I am giving 4 options here. A.C is switched on after

1. Immediately after start
2. 1-2 Mins after start
3. 4-5 Mins after start or
4. 10 or more Mins after start.

I know, for some of us the whole drive wont be for more than 10 mins. And some of you are living in cold places where you dont need to switch on at all.

Which of these is the best to follow ? experts can pour in with their opinions please.

cheers
My vote is for 4-5 minutes normally as thats the average time I take to reach the cruising speed! I love my vehicle and never mind to sweat a bit to save the machine for bit more time!
Old 9th August 2007, 19:14   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Most of the time AC is kept ON in my 2002 Palio. One thing i have noticed, ICE, AC and headlamps are turned off the moment you turn the starter key. System is switching all these off to take care of the problem with the batteries.
Even if I start with AC on, actual ac clutch engaging sound is heard only 2-3 seconds after engine starts. I think this make sure that the starter don't have to take the load of the AC as well while starting.
I don't think this feature is there for all vehicles! You are lucky to get it added. My old M800 alternator winding got 'fused' as I used to start the vehicle with AC "ON" (Not intentional but forgets all the time to switch it off when I park the vehicle-Now I am careful enough with my present machine!)
Old 10th August 2007, 01:04   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
If your car covers good amount of distance everyday, ie. battery gets enough charge, it is better to switch off the engine while stopping over 1-2 minutes. It rather saves fuel. However, you should do it only if the engine is already warm (your temp needle should be in halfway mark). On cold engine, you should avoid frequent starting as it will draw extra fuel and not good for engine as lubrication is low in cold engine.

I think most modern cars have cut off for AC/ICE while starting the car anyway. In case it is not, it is advisable to switch off everything before starting the engine.
very nice point put forward and thanks for the info
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:32   #156
BHPian

In newer cars i dont think it matters when u start the ac dude. The software takes care of everything.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 02:58   #157
BHPian

Default Ahhh..if FIAT India had pushed these features

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post

In 2001 , when Palio was launched, it had almost all the features of SWIFT launched way too later.

Junta, who took the pain to research about these features went ahead & bought one.

But Aam Junta who decides a car based on Advertisement, never knew about these as there were hardly one.

I wish FIAT must have waited for SWIFT to be launched
Whenasked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 10:13   #158
BHPian

Default SIDEWAYS -REG your post about AC

hai.nice detail. in your given scenario how come freshair/recirculate setting affects FE ..in case if it affects? how these two setting can be applied to make the right balance between good AC/ Effective FE. TIA.

Regarding corelation between a/c blower speed and FE - Yes it does effect fule efficiency but there is a better explanation - There is a cooling coil behind the dash board just as there is in the airconditioners in your house. Compressed gas in passed thru the coil thereby dropping the temperature in the coil and the blower when switched on draws air thru a chilled cooling coil therefore provoding us with cool air. This cooling coil has a Bulb or a thermostat or a sensor. When the blower is running at a lower speed the coil gets colder faster and thus triggers the thermostat which in turn switches off the a/c compressor. When the blower runs at a higher speed the air is drawn out at a fatser rate and therefore the temperature of the cooling coil does not drop very quickly thereby running the compressor for longer periods of time. I dont know if you guys have noticed - When you take your car to an a/c mech he will always check the grill temp with blower at minimum fan speed. Notice next time you are at your local workshop.

Take care of those engines guys. They serve you better, Longer even.[/quote]
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 10:17   #159
BANNED

My Vote is to 4-5 minutes! as till that time Engine gets heated !

Regards,
Jitendra
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 12:10   #160
BHPian

I drive my car in the morning for about a minute or two, by which time the engine temperature needle crosses the C-mark and starts crawling up. I turn the blower on as soon as I start, but the A/c has to wait till the engine is beginning to warm up.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 10:44   #161
BHPian

Apologies if discussed before. Does the '4-5 minutes delayed switch on' we are discussing here apply only to AC or to ICE as well?
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 10:47   #162
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it does not apply to ICE. ICE does not sap the power of the engine , the AC does.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 11:14   #163
BHPian

I turn on the engine, and within the next 10 seconds turn the AC on, just can't take the heat inside the car and I don't like driving with windows down, mostly due to the noise on the roads. In anycase the zen carb takes ages to cool.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 20:24   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How many batteries have you changed ?
Only 1 in June 2006 (after 39 months and 60000 km) and that was because a regulator failure was not attended to in time. The replacement Amaron is running fine for 28000 km so far.

Mods, sorry I'm raking up all these old threads but I find that I've not replied to many questions directed at me (which is not good according to me).

Last edited by hrag : 4th June 2008 at 20:26.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 15:41   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hi hrag,

> Mods, sorry I'm raking up all these old threads but I find that I've not replied
> to many questions directed at me (which is not good according to me).

What a coincidence! In those days never knew about subscribing to reads and never saw these messages (some for me too) until today.

At 32 months and 42000+ km, the Marina's battery and the engine is holding on well.

I will at least continue this practice to see whether it would result in any problem.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote