Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: How long do you wait to switch on the AC in your car during a cold start ?
Immediately on starting 52 22.51%
1-2 Mins after start 92 39.83%
4-5 Mins after start 71 30.74%
10 or more Mins after start 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th September 2006, 01:21   #16
BHPian

My car has automatic climate control and the AC gets switched on immeadiately on ignition.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 14th September 2006 at 11:59.
da MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 09:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... I start the car with A/C on too. I didn't know this was a problem. Looks like I'm going to kick that habit, and switch the AC on after 5 minutes. You learn something new everyday on team-bhp...
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 10:55   #18
BHPian

The opening/shutting of the rear windows theory is possible if you have power windows otherwise you will be drenched in sweat by the time you go thru this procedure! The alternative I think would be to drive for a while with your window rolled down for about a minute with the blower on and then rolling it up.

Last edited by magiceye : 14th September 2006 at 11:02.
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 11:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

I wait for around 15-30 seconds. Start the AC. Then if its a cold start I drive below 1500rpm for first couple of minutes. i.e. 2nd gear 10-15kmph, slightly above stall speed.

If its exteremly hot I switch on the AC, open the drivers door and stand out. Dont have power windows so rear window opening thingy is not practical.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 11:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

If its extremely hot I switch on the AC, open the drivers door and stand out. Donít have power windows so rear window opening thingy is not practical.
Ditto with me. Normally I start the ac after 15-20 secs of starting the engine, open the front windows if its hot inside for a minute or two & then roll up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superemebaleno
It sure does. Higher the blower speed, higher the load on the engine and lower the FE. However, I am not sure whether there are any exact figures as to by how much the FE goes down.
Nopes Its the compressor which has impact on engine load not the blower, the engine load will vary depending on the cooling that you have selected through the hot\cold control which most of the people always keep at coolest
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 11:33   #21
BHPian

I normally wait 3-4 mins. By that time the temp needle has moved to slightly above min. Unless it is the middle of May and the better half needs to be cooled down quickly. Forget about engine wear & tear and blah..blah. End of the day if you want to stay married then wife comes first. You have to decide which "wear & tear" is more critical.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 11:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

I switch on the engine - roll down all windows - the air inlet switch set to fresh air - put blower to speed 2 - start driving - when the temp needle crosses half of where it settles down , I roll up the windows and switch the ac on. Drive for approx 2 mins and then change the inlet switch to recirculate.

Infact on stretches where there is comparatively less pollution , more of trees and less traffic - I have the air inlet switch set to Fresh Air.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 14th September 2006 at 11:58.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 12:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Ditto with me. Normally I start the ac after 15-20 secs of starting the engine, open the front windows if its hot inside for a minute or two & then roll up.

Nopes Its the compressor which has impact on engine load not the blower, the engine load will vary depending on the cooling that you have selected through the hot\cold control which most of the people always keep at coolest
No, i think supreme is partly right here. if your blower is running at full speed, then the volume of air that is circulated inside the car is much more, which in turn will make the compressor to work for longer periods compared to a blower in slowest speed whose throw will be only a few inches & will recirculate the air that is closest to the vent, which would be cool already & does not have to work that hard & the compressor will switch off when it has reached the ideal temp inside the car. please do try this & see for yourself. iam not an expert, but speaking purely on experience. do correct me if i am wrong.
cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 14th September 2006 at 12:05.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 12:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I switch on the engine - roll down all windows - the air inlet switch set to fresh air - put blower to speed 2 - start driving - when the temp needle crosses half of where it settles down , I roll up the windows and switch the ac on. Drive for approx 2 mins and then change the inlet switch to recirculate.

Infact on stretches where there is comparatively less pollution , more of trees and less traffic - I have the air inlet switch set to Fresh Air.
i think that is one of the best ways to do it. i have done it like this in the past. but actually, the engine gets heated up much before the gauge starts showing it, so i think we can advance that time a little bit here.
Old 14th September 2006, 12:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm this does sound reasonable but doesnt the temp control reside somehwre far rather than close to the vent?

I mean if the sensor is far the at slow blower speed the compressor will run longer to get the coolness across while if the sensor is close to the vents then what you say is true.

But yes this should be tried out, I have noticed one thing though that teh temp control knob does work as in the a\c compressor switches off more frequently when set to less cold
Old 14th September 2006, 12:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Hmm this does sound reasonable but doesnt the temp control reside somehwre far rather than close to the vent?

I mean if the sensor is far the at slow blower speed the compressor will run longer to get the coolness across while if the sensor is close to the vents then what you say is true.

But yes this should be tried out, I have noticed one thing though that teh temp control knob does work as in the
Quote:
a\c compressor switches off more frequently when set to less cold
you mean to say at slow fan speed, right ? most cars do not have a thermostat control, it is set to a certain temperature which cannot be controlled. the bolero has a thermostat control, which is pretty useful in cold climates, not there in the esteem and not really required in chennai.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 14th September 2006 at 12:20.
Old 14th September 2006, 12:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Nopes I mean the blue & red tempearture knob(The slider switch in esteem), I am surprised most of the people give me the same reaon as you did but I have been using it effectively in Alto since long

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th September 2006 at 12:25.
Old 14th September 2006, 12:58   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
Hi,

Unfortunately the four choices do not contain my way.

The AC is permanently on. The car is started with the AC on.
Ditto here - my A/C is permanently on. I used to wait a while before switching it on, then switched over to trrk's method at 35000 km - 67000 km as of today and no issues.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 21:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Switching on the AC the first thing in the morning

I own a 1998 Diesel Safari 4x4. Since the place where I live is generally hot for most part of the year and I, especially feel very hot under the ears, my home and car A/cs run from March till October end and sometimes till the first week of November.

Since I leave for work around 7:30 in the morning, the weather is relatively bearable that time and hence I drive for about a Km with windows rolled down and then switch on the blower for about 30-40 secs and then press the compressor button. Then the windows are gradually rolled up. This is what I have been practising with all my vehicles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
In the morning rush hour, when you start your car for the first time, do you give the engine enough time to heat up & then switch on the AC ? This is one thing most of us fail to do. So let us see which is the majority here. I am giving 4 options here. A.C is switched on after
cheers
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 22:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Start the car, slowly go and open the gate and by the time i get back into the car it'll be a good 30seconds. Slowly get the car outta the house, go back to close the gate and again by the time i get it it'll be another 15secs. Then drive for about a minute and use the AC then.

Mornings are usually cool in this part of the country so u can live without AC as well, atleast thats the case mostly.

BTW,
Could someone ans that blower speed question. I thought the AC is either ON/OFF so the blower speed dosen't make a diff. Someone please explain.

And if i'm not wrong, climate control AC's can be turned off so they won't start automatically when the car is started/ignition switched on.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote