Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


View Poll Results: How long do you wait to switch on the AC in your car during a cold start ?
Immediately on starting 52 22.51%
1-2 Mins after start 92 39.83%
4-5 Mins after start 71 30.74%
10 or more Mins after start 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2006, 15:33   #61
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
My conclusions are based on assumption that the switch off sensor is somewhere in cabin (i.e. its taking cabin temperature & not coil temperature). If the sensor is near coil then what you say holds true
Sensor is on the coil....
the sensor is there for another purpose... so that the coil doesn't get frosted/ frozen etc.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 15:39   #62
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i feel that depends on the condition of your battery at that point of time.
Its a feature ... the cars are always supposed to cut off power to electronics.. to avoid spikes.
And.. the only reason the power would not cut off is...
1) either your cut off mechanism has gone faulty.. or
2) you turn the ignition key way too fast for the cut off to function properly.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:45   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Starting the first thing in morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Heres some thing to think about - maximum engine damage takes place when cars are first started in the mornings or after a after a long time of inactivity where the oil from the engine settles down into the sump. Experts have estimated that starting an engine - cold start, dry start - whtever you want to call it ammounts to about 800 Kms of regular drving. so the folks who get into their cars and start the aircons before even starting their engines or to those who switch on their aircons immediately after startup - YOU SURE HAVE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT NOW. If you want your engine to last you will need to look after it. Switch it on, idle it, warm it up and then start driving. Just like we warm up or stretch before working out our engines need to do the same also.
Hi Sideways: this reminds of a fact of bygone era. My grandfather owned a Mercury Ford once upon a time and during winters the driver used to give the engine a couple of rotations the first thing in morning with the starting handle. Not many here may know about the starter handle. Around 10-15 yrs back the good old Amby used have one. When I asked the river as to why he did that, he replied - " Baba, tel baith jaata hai thand mein. Engine dheela kar raha hoon".

I never understood what he meant. But later understood the concept. So, an idle of 2 mins in the morning is advisable where the extremeties of the weather are there. And Ac should beswitched on after the car has run for about a km.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:58   #64
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hi,

The safest would be is to wait till the temp starts registering on your instrument console.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 10:02   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Good idea, but in places like Delhi, Gurgaon etc. where the temps are extreme, it takes quite a while to register on the console..

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

The safest would be is to wait till the temp starts registering on your instrument console.

Viper
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 10:02   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Heres some thing to think about - maximum engine damage takes place when cars are first started in the mornings or after a after a long time of inactivity where the oil from the engine settles down into the sump.
.................................
If you want your engine to last you will need to look after it. Switch it on, idle it, warm it up and then start driving. Just like we warm up or stretch before working out our engines need to do the same also.
In fuel injected cars the ECU revs the car at higher RPM than normal when engine is in cold condition.
Normally warm engine idles at 750 - 900 RPM; when engine is cold the idling is anywhere between 1250-1500RPM
AC adds about 300 RPMs.
And you are not supposed to rev hard your cold engine.
So lets say max RPM when engine is cold = 3000RPM (I follow 3000RPM)

Now when engine is warm
idling RPM = 750 - 900 RPM
idling with warm engine and AC switched ON
idling RPM = 1050 - 1200 RPM

which is still less than cold engine idling RPM.

So is one keeps the max RPM within 3000 RPM when engine is cold its fine, irrespective of whether AC is ON or OFF. Right ?
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 11:21   #67
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Good idea, but in places like Delhi, Gurgaon etc. where the temps are extreme, it takes quite a while to register on the console..

Hi,

If you are referring to the winter then you would require the heater instead of AC right. If summer then it will still be the same. In any case after 1-2 kms of driving you wil get a temp registered on your dash.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 15:10   #68
elf
BANNED
 
elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,034
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

All this is getting quite confusing. Why don't you ladies simply start your engine, do not depress the throttle, let it idle for about 45 - 60 sec & then start driving?

That's what I do.

Hit your a/c switch after about 5-7 min of driving. If it's damn hot & you sweat, you sweat. It's upto you if you figure out whether your sweating is more important, or your engine life.

QED.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:22   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
All this is getting quite confusing. Why don't you ladies simply start your engine, do not depress the throttle, let it idle for about 45 - 60 sec & then start driving?

That's what I do.

Hit your a/c switch after about 5-7 min of driving. If it's damn hot & you sweat, you sweat. It's upto you if you figure out whether your sweating is more important, or your engine life.

QED.
"Ladies" ??? elf!! whats that mean ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 02:36   #70
elf
BANNED
 
elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,034
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Ladies:
noun: Humans of the opposite sex to men / non-men / female of human species.
colloquial usage: chicks / broads / gurlz.
noun: People who go for kitty party lunches & argue about air-conditioning.

Last edited by elf : 24th September 2006 at 02:38.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 08:16   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default This was coming

I knew I had goofed up. This was bound to come..

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

If you are referring to the winter then you would require the heater instead of AC right. If summer then it will still be the same. In any case after 1-2 kms of driving you wil get a temp registered on your dash.

Viper
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 11:10   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default

on highway drives, even if the weather is present, one ends up rolling up the windows bcos of the high speed wind getting in. has anyone got any data which suggests which is more fuel efficient

1) glasses rolled up with a/c on - resulting in less drag
2) glasses rolled down with a/c off - resuting in lesser load on engine

??
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 11:35   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
So is one keeps the max RPM within 3000 RPM when engine is cold its fine, irrespective of whether AC is ON or OFF. Right ?
i think you are ignoring the load part. although the warm with AC RPM is lower than idling in cold engine, load may be much higher.

why to stress the engine if it is not warmed up yet....well also depends on how much stressed u get because of scorching heat.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 01:09   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
i think you are ignoring the load part. although the warm with AC RPM is lower than idling in cold engine, load may be much higher.

why to stress the engine if it is not warmed up yet....well also depends on how much stressed u get because of scorching heat.
How much load the AC puts on engine?
What if you are starting off your journey with 4 passengers and some luggage (w/o switching on AC), in such case you will be putting more load on engine.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 05:08   #75
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
How much load the AC puts on engine?
What if you are starting off your journey with 4 passengers and some luggage (w/o switching on AC), in such case you will be putting more load on engine.
In my opinion AC puts more load than passengers.
I have no scientific backup for this.

Passengers maybe just a load when you first move the car... rest its all in momentum.... but the AC doesn't run on momentum... it needs continuous power.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Punto music system (not stock) not switching off after switching off engine!! praz Technical Stuff 17 9th March 2011 09:55
Karizma Cold Start Problem jazzy_2cool Motorbikes 18 19th May 2010 18:07
Cold start vs warm start, is there a difference? Shan2nu Technical Stuff 6 18th May 2010 18:32
How many KMs after cold start the car will feel better sreenivass Technical Stuff 30 13th November 2009 12:14
Esteem 2001 White smoke on Cold start Slick Technical Stuff 9 3rd April 2008 02:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks