Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: How long do you wait to switch on the AC in your car during a cold start ?
Immediately on starting 52 22.51%
1-2 Mins after start 92 39.83%
4-5 Mins after start 71 30.74%
10 or more Mins after start 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2007, 14:55   #121
BHPian

^^^hey thnx for that...I was looking for something like that
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:21   #122
Senior - BHPian

With the windows rolled down, I switch on the blower (only) to remove stale & hot air and drive for about a kilometre so that the engine warms up and smoothens out with oil circulating everywhere. then I switch on the AC compressor.

I switch the compressor off if I'm climbing a gradient or have to wait for over a minute at a signal. And while calling it a day I again switch off the compressor about 1/2 a km from my home.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:39   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
I want to know why this is advisable. Any specific reason for this?
You should idle the car for a minute or two in the morning after the first start before you actually get moving. The reason is that when the car is parked overnight all the oil that runs through the engine internals and lubricates it while running starts to accumulate at the sump in the bottom. By morning the engine internals are devoid of most of the lubrication that the film of oil provides.

The 2 minute idling lets the oil to start coursing back through the internals and once again provide the necessary lubrication. That is why the engine sounds so coarse initially but then smoothens out after some idling. If you drive away immediately you may damage the internals over a long run.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
You should idle the car for a minute or two in the morning after the first start before you actually get moving. The reason is that when the car is parked overnight all the oil that runs through the engine internals and lubricates it while running starts to accumulate at the sump in the bottom. By morning the engine internals are devoid of most of the lubrication that the film of oil provides.

The 2 minute idling lets the oil to start coursing back through the internals and once again provide the necessary lubrication. That is why the engine sounds so coarse initially but then smoothens out after some idling. If you drive away immediately you may damage the internals over a long run.
thanx a lot for this information zappo. I will try to attain this habbit.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I switch the compressor off if I'm climbing a gradient or have to wait for over a minute at a signal. And while calling it a day I again switch off the compressor about 1/2 a km from my home.
is gurgaon a very cold place ?? I cannot even think of doing this in chennai.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:56   #126
Senior - BHPian

Not the least...Temperatures soar to 44+ in peak summers. Same as Delhi. But the AC of my Scorpio & Safari cool the interiors so much that driving 1/2 km to home with the compressor off is quite bearable.

Keeping in view the good health of the powerplant, bearing out the heat for a km the first thing in the morning is a small price to pay. Chennai of course is humid too unlike here where it is dry heat; much more bearable than the muggy hot wetaher of Mumbai/Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
is gurgaon a very cold place ?? I cannot even think of doing this in chennai.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:16   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Duringa recent visit to my home town. I Observed that my Dad's car which is a 2003 March Alto VXi (4+ years old) & which has done 40k kms is still running on original battery. The ac in his car is never switched off, the button is on even when cranking. The engine is excellant condition too & he is an enthusiast driver.

May be he got a good piece. touch wood
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:11   #128
BHPian

Default Switching on Your AC in Cold Start

I read some article in net/automags which said "to ensure longer run for engine & AC, it is advisable to switch off AC while starting the engine".

I am not sure how far it is true - while I'm paying 8L for a car (have SX4), I expect these things must have been taken care. Manual doesn't mention it.

It is not practically possible to switch off & on AC frequently, since in city traffic conditions I switch off engine if I know I will need to wait for more than a minute.

What do you guys think?
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:15   #129
Senior - BHPian

When starting from a cold engine, to be read as unlubricated engine. It is always advisable to put minimum load on it. Which also means, that you are very lineant with your throttle inputs as well till the engine settles down. This may or maynot be adviced in the manual, but it is a good practice.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:20   #130
Senior - BHPian

Don't all such circuits (AC, ICE etc) get cut-off when starting the engine ?

Mods - Didn't we have a similar thread before ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

I was discussing this issue with a friend. He said that experts at Lexus suggest that the AC and ICE be turned off while starting the car(for the 1st time in a day). Once the engine is through with its warm up,and the battery doing its job ok { usually 2-5 mins}, its fine to turn everything back on.

My friend has the 2007 IS-250,and he said that he has been following this for a while now. Apparently supposed to increase battery life by 1-2yrs.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:35   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I read some article in net/automags which said "to ensure longer run for engine & AC, it is advisable to switch off AC while starting the engine".

I am not sure how far it is true - while I'm paying 8L for a car (have SX4), I expect these things must have been taken care. Manual doesn't mention it.

It is not practically possible to switch off & on AC frequently, since in city traffic conditions I switch off engine if I know I will need to wait for more than a minute.

What do you guys think?
OT - i think you should put off your engine only if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:48   #133
Senior - BHPian

On cold starts it is advisable to start the car with minimum load.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 21:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

When starting the car for the 1st time on any given day,the lesser the load,the better. After the car has run 5-10 mins,the engine & battery are in-sync, so if the need arises to shut off the engine at lights, it wont make a big difference to restart the car with the AC on.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 21:40   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
When starting the car for the 1st time on any given day,the lesser the load,the better. After the car has run 5-10 mins,the engine & battery are in-sync, so if the need arises to shut off the engine at lights, it wont make a big difference to restart the car with the AC on.
Shutting off the engine at lights dont make much sense. Cost most of the waiting time at the lights (that seem so long) is mostly 40 secs to a minute. On the contrary you loose Fuel due to richer feed at start.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote