Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:26   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,299
Thanked: 903 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I have a question on the similar lines. I have heard different opinions about the liquid that's used for windscreen washer. Can we fill normal water or are there any specific liquids available for this?
I use this, and it works quite well: WIND SHIELD CLEANER There are similar products available from 3M and Sonax too, but I guess they might be more expensive than this.

You can use a Colin + water mixture too. Try to avoid shampoos, as I've heard that they can damage the paint. Not sure how true that is.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:08   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,057 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
How to identify the problem area ?
Open the hood, and on top of it, just below the nozzle, you can see the piping for the washer sprinkler. Check for any leaks or dislodged connections.

Last edited by dhanushs : 23rd May 2011 at 13:09.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:14   #18
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Open the hood, and on top of it, just below the nozzle, you can see the piping for the washer sprinkler. Check for any leaks or dislodged connections.
In i10, the washer nozzles are not located on the hood lid. Washer nozzles are located on the plastic part where the wipers are located (I don't know the name of the part, it is the plastic area between the windsheild and the hood lid)

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:38   #19
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

The windsheild washer spray in my i10 is not working (again).

I opened the hood to find that the washer fluid pipe has broken (again). Same problem was observed 1 year back, when it was rectified by the H.A.S.S. during routine service. (They had not replaced the pipe, but put a plastic coupler to join the two broken pieces of the pipe)

My doubts:

1. Is the washer fluid pipe in i10 of poor quality, or it is normal for these rubber pipes to become brittle because of the heat in the engine compartment ?

2. It is simple to replace this washer fluid pipe ? Can I do it myself, or is it necessary to visit the service centre ? How long will it take ? (I don't feel like visiting the service centre for such a small job)

3. Do rats have a liking for washer fluid pipes ? I know that rats chew wiring, but what about pipes ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 16:36   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post


1. Is the washer fluid pipe in i10 of poor quality, or it is normal for these rubber pipes to become brittle because of the heat in the engine compartment ?

2. It is simple to replace this washer fluid pipe ? Can I do it myself, or is it necessary to visit the service centre ? How long will it take ? (I don't feel like visiting the service centre for such a small job)
1) Not sure about quality, but I have never faced a broken washer fluid pipe in even 18 year old M800 ( sold @ 1.56 lakh kms. ), or the 7 year old Baleno ( 58K kms done ) or even the 2.5 year old Waggie ( 41K kms. ). This is not a problem that is likely to occur in most of the cars.

2) The problem with taking the car inside the A.S.C. is that they will have to prepare some documents like job card, etc. and this processing takes time. This is again what I have observed generally. Kiran motors ( one Maruti dealer in Vadodara ) will not do any work without bill, etc. This takes time as one has to wait for paying bill, etc.

Are you using any detergent ? What I feel is that quality of detergent might be leading to earlier failure of that pipe. Or the water quality. Hard water or tap water must not be filled as per my knowledge. They eventually block the pipe slowly but steadily. Also the motor might be damaged due to sedimentation. Use only Mineral water from RO system or water from Mineral water bottle.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 09:40   #21
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Not sure about quality, but I have never faced a broken washer fluid pipe in even 18 year old M800 ( sold @ 1.56 lakh kms. ), or the 7 year old Baleno ( 58K kms done ) or even the 2.5 year old Waggie ( 41K kms. ). This is not a problem that is likely to occur in most of the cars.

2) The problem with taking the car inside the A.S.C. is that they will have to prepare some documents like job card, etc. and this processing takes time. This is again what I have observed generally. Kiran motors ( one Maruti dealer in Vadodara ) will not do any work without bill, etc. This takes time as one has to wait for paying bill, etc.

Are you using any detergent ? What I feel is that quality of detergent might be leading to earlier failure of that pipe. Or the water quality. Hard water or tap water must not be filled as per my knowledge. They eventually block the pipe slowly but steadily. Also the motor might be damaged due to sedimentation. Use only Mineral water from RO system or water from Mineral water bottle.
I hardly use the washer. Hence never needed to top up the washer fluid myself in 4 years of car ownership.

The Hyundai service centres top up the washer fluid during servicing. I am assuming that they must be using proper water and solutions.

Anyway, my doubt here is that if I want the whole washer fluid pipe to be replaced, is it a simple 5-10 minute job or will it require something like an hour or so ?

The reason I am asking this is that the washer fluid pipe is not easily accessible in most cars and may even require a tyre to be removed in order to access the pipe which connects to the washer fluid reservior.

Is there a better quality pipe which can be used for this purpose ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 21:13   #22
Ice
BHPian
 
Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 304
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Innova windshield washer not working

I've been having a problem with my Innova's windshield washer system. The observations:
- rear washer is working
- water reservoir is full
- wipers come on for the front, but no whine of the washer, and no water

I've tried:
- Cleaning the nozzles
- Checking for the tubes coming loose
- Fuse (the motor works, because the rear washer is working)

I'm trying to save a visit to the dealership to get this fixed, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this.

Also - any recommendations for small but competent garages in Indranagar and Koramangala (Bangalore) will be very welcome!
Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 09:53   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,518
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: Innova windshield washer not working

Never faced the washer going on holiday ever in these 7.5 yrs. But did face the situation very few times when the washer would not throw water at first squeeze. So tried repeatedly and after a couple of squeezes/pumping the stalk the washer started squirting out water properly. But never did it stop completely. Whats the situation with you? Is it not working even after few more operations of the stalk repeatedly? If not, then better go to the dealership only and get all the jamming checked in the line.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 17:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The windsheild washer spray in my i10 is not working (again).

I opened the hood to find that the washer fluid pipe has broken (again). Same problem was observed 1 year back, when it was rectified by the H.A.S.S. during routine service. (They had not replaced the pipe, but put a plastic coupler to join the two broken pieces of the pipe)

My doubts:

1. Is the washer fluid pipe in i10 of poor quality, or it is normal for these rubber pipes to become brittle because of the heat in the engine compartment ?

2. It is simple to replace this washer fluid pipe ? Can I do it myself, or is it necessary to visit the service centre ? How long will it take ? (I don't feel like visiting the service centre for such a small job)

3. Do rats have a liking for washer fluid pipes ? I know that rats chew wiring, but what about pipes ?

Rohan

I have not seen the quality of pipe in an i10, but I can definitely tell you that rats, off late have probably developed a taste for these pipes. I have to change my Zen's washer pipe more than any other thing since we bought the car.The cost of pipe will be peanuts but labour & time required is high and hence its annoying.
Last time I took the car to the service centre, I asked the guy to change the running route of the pipe which was previously in between the metal & fibre mud guards inside the wheel arc. Now it runs from inside and is easily accessible just by opening the bonnet. Agreed that this place is still accessible to rats, but repairing it is now easier. Who knows, we may also fool the rats by changing the position of this pipe!

There is no adverse effect of this mod...just keep it away from any electrical relays. This is just in case, rats decide to have a party at this new venue, water should not leak on those relays which can land you in more complications.

Hope it helps.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:35   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

In theory replacing the piping for the wiper washer is a five minute job. Remove the old damaged pipe and then cut the length of pipe needed and finally fix it at both ends.

The catch comes in what needs to be removed or opened to access the two points. For example, in my alto, when the rats chewed my pipe, it required the mechanic to remove the cladding on the right side of the bonnet because the tank is above the right wheel well.

If you know where the tank and pump are it is a simple DIY job provided nothing needs to be removed to access it.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 16:26   #26
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 728
Thanked: 591 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

For those of you facing inadequate pressure/blockage/trickle from the nozzle, here's something which worked for me (assuming there are no leakages from the rubber pipes leading from the reservoir)

1. Buy a disposable syringe from the chemist.

2. Draw in some undiluted car shampoo/windshield washer concentrate/degreaser.

3.Insert needle into the nozzle carefully as deep as you can and press the plunger of the syringe gently.

4. Do it for both the nozzles.

5. Draw in some water and repeat the same a couple of times.

6. Presto, should be back to normal.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 16:22   #27
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 365
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

My washer is not working and I see a puddle of water below my front wheel. Any idea what is the problem here ?
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 16:39   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My washer is not working and I see a puddle of water below my front wheel. Any idea what is the problem here ?
Its likely that there is some leakage and/or nozzle is completely blocked. Water near the front wheel means that the washer motor is able to pump the water, but water does not reach nozzle and is getting leaked somewhere. Most probably water is getting leaked near the nozzle as the water is getting down the channel designed to drain water off the windshield during rain/washing of car.

Check the water line till nozzle and clean the nozzle, this should solve your problem.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 16:42   #29
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My washer is not working and I see a puddle of water below my front wheel. Any idea what is the problem here ?
Open the hood and ask someone to pull the washer/wiper stalk. You will be able to trace the point where the tube has broken.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 18:29   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: Windscreen Washer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My washer is not working and I see a puddle of water below my front wheel. Any idea what is the problem here ?
Looks like some creature called a 'rat' decided to have a party and the dish was your water pipe. IFF, the water container has not given up. Should not cost you too much to repair though.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Cleaning The Windscreen Washer Nozzle soumobakshi DIY - Do it yourself 10 15th August 2013 00:31
Mist type windscreen washer jets ramkris Modifications & Accessories 5 12th May 2010 13:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks