Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th August 2007, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Default NHC - BullKit Problem :EDIT: now detected to strut problem

I have a 2004 NHC - exi, clocked 41000 kms, on my last service at A.S.S
i was told that the car has a BullKit problem and i will have to get that checked at the Kalina service centre

I took the car there and it seems its something to do with the base of the steering and engine load on it (i was totally confused at this point)

they gave me an estimated expense sheet of 10K for getting it repaired (read replaced)

they also said that i can drive the car around but i should get it repaired soon

now my question is, does anyone here know what this problem is?
is there any other place other than honda A.S.S to get a second opinion from, if yes? where in mumbai?

from driving experience, the car feels jerky at times and staggers to the left
at times, so i know there is a problem

please help guys!
ibcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

What were the symptoms of the problem?? maybe some other members may hav had it, but havent heard the name yet!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

is the pull to the left, during pick phase or braking? never heard the name before. You should ask them to show you what they are trying to repair[replace] then you may be able to know what are they talking about.
Nay be they are talking about the axils bearings....one has to chang the whole axil setup if these have problems.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 23:21   #4
BHPian

sounds more like bulls**t....lol

never heard of this term....anyways IMHO get a second opinion..
zakaaaaasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 23:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

i thnk the service guy mite have said "pulling " problem ( as u mentioned car drags in one direction ) - suggest u rechek what he said / u can ask the honda service supervisor to explain things to u...

im sure mumbai has multiple honda dealerships wheragain u can chek

last resort is to post a query on their website and u get a call normally within 2/3 days
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 23:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
is the pull to the left, during pick phase or braking? never heard the name before. You should ask them to show you what they are trying to repair[replace] then you may be able to know what are they talking about.
Nay be they are talking about the axils bearings....one has to chang the whole axil setup if these have problems.
The pull to the left is usually during braking phase, but is random

its not like the car steers to the left like when wheel balancing is required
the car is travels straight and smooth if i leave the steering while speeding up
but the i can feel a the engine girdling at times

the service guy explained this to me " you have to remove the engine from the bay and then the part where the steering meets the axle needs to be changed", i dont think the service centre in chembur is able to do that as they had redirected me to Kalina service center to find out more about the problem.

(well it could be bulket - damn the S.S guys handwriting is worse than that of a doctor)
Old 12th August 2007, 03:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

NHC power steering is electric, not hydraulic. So, unlike what they say, you don't have to remove the engine from the bay to repair anything. The power steering motor is located at the column bottom half, just above the rack. It's easy to access, & no removal of any engine component is required. Although the pinion & rack itself is a pain to remove.

Just FYI, the part where steering meets "axle" is called the knuckle- the hub that holds the steering componentry & the disc/joint assy. The joints are called tie rods, & the point of fastening, tie rod ends. There are no parts in the steering/engine componentry named bulket/bullkit or as such. At least none that I've heard of.

Also- the juddering that you mention- seems more like worn out driveshafts/CV joints. Lock the steering to the left or right, start the car, and slowly accelerate. If it judders & you hear "khich-khich" noises, you have worn out driveshafts/CV joints.

P.S- All cars steer to the left a little, because of cambered roads. You can adjust the steering for that too. Not advisable, though.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 06:22   #8
BANNED

A bull...... WHAT?
Haven't heard something like that before. Why don't you take your car to another good A.S.S and get it checked before you proceed any further?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 09:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post

(well it could be bulket - damn the S.S guys handwriting is worse than that of a doctor)
Why dont you take a picture of this written word and post it here for us to decipher.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 11:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a suspicion that the service centre guys meant there was a "Bush kit" problem. Maybe something to do with the car's suspension.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 11:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ball joint on which the knuckle assembles is bolted [this help to keep the whole tire assembly in vertical line when the suspension is at work]. but this want create problem you say. it will keep on pulling to left on matter what.
also you mentioned that the car judders... did you mean it pulls or it keeps on sort of wobbling when driving.[braking]. Cause bad roads often tend to destroy the CV joints in the drive shaft. Does it make a tic sound when your press the clutch in motion after the drive shaft is loaded.. as in when you are picking up and going thru the gears, or just unload the whole system when in speed....if the cv joint has a problem then you will also get the tic sound when you turn full lock and move it car from stand still.
Did they show what part they are talking about?????
I believe you have been to Ichibaan honda???
try going to linkway honda, may be they will tell you whats wrong.
But there too do not just hear what they tell you, tell them to show you what is the part they will change so you can describe it on the forum.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 14:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
I think the Ball joint on which the knuckle assembles is bolted [this help to keep the whole tire assembly in vertical line when the suspension is at work]. but this want create problem you say. it will keep on pulling to left on matter what.
also you mentioned that the car judders... did you mean it pulls or it keeps on sort of wobbling when driving.[braking]. Cause bad roads often tend to destroy the CV joints in the drive shaft. Does it make a tic sound when your press the clutch in motion after the drive shaft is loaded.. as in when you are picking up and going thru the gears, or just unload the whole system when in speed....if the cv joint has a problem then you will also get the tic sound when you turn full lock and move it car from stand still.
Did they show what part they are talking about?????
I believe you have been to Ichibaan honda???
try going to linkway honda, may be they will tell you whats wrong.
But there too do not just hear what they tell you, tell them to show you what is the part they will change so you can describe it on the forum.
yes i did go to ichibaan honda

will try linkway or arya and probe for more details and post them here
Old 9th September 2007, 00:45   #13
BHPian

Well got it rechecked

there is nothing called the bullkit, dad got it all wrong, the guy explained that the stagger and the thud noise is due to the steering column strut bar

possible cause : hitting a large stone underneath or riding the divider

well knowing that my dad has driven over the divider 3 years back, its rather strange that this has come up now

I was told driving the car around should not cause much problem, and in my next service they will check and replace the bush and do greasing and see if it solves the problem

the replacement of the assembly he said would cost close to 35K

about the steer to the left, well it was due to my tyres, i had a thorough tyre check done and realized that my front left tyre had the treads going on a wild party with each other, basically the tyre had lived its life, th others too were showing sign of death (strange i thought the tires would live more than 40K kms), well got a new set of tires and the car is nice and smooth again

back to the steering problem: is 35K really justified or worth spending>?

note to mods: if required please edit thread title, as i would like to get advice over the new discovery.
Old 9th September 2007, 12:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Bull kit = bush kit?!

Maybe that's what the service chap meant.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote