Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th August 2007, 23:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Reset ECU after installing K&N

I have a Hyundai Getz which has run around 2500 kilometers. I changed the airfilter to K&N stock replacement filter. Though the engine response became better, the super smooth engine became harsh with vibration. I was not happy with the replacement and did some research on the internet. The solution I got was ECU reset by disconnecting the battery. It worked and the engine is super smooth with decent increase in power.

Though the solutuion I got was disconnecting the battery and reconnecting I took the following steps as recommended in a website.

1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
2. Leave the car for 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Connect the negative terminal of the battery.
4. Start the car and leave the car for 15 minutes. Do not accelerate the car during this time as the ECU gets programmed at this point and the increase in air and fuel intake will affect the programming.

Another way of resetting the ECU is to take the fuse out and connect it again. How to do it?

ECU reset is recommended for many cars, like Nissan, after doing any modifications.

I am happy that it worked for me.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi PatienceWins, ECU reset is nothing but flashing the ROM in it. These are crude ways to reset your ECU. The best option is to drive down to the nearest Hyundai Service center and connect your ECU to their hand held diagnostic tool. This device (A POS like terminal in Hyundai's case) gives out all readable values on a small screen. There is also an option to clear out all the values the ECU stored on the ROM.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Moral, My understanding is that reseting the ECU programs the ECU with new value based on the modification. The diagnostic tool is gr8. Will try that as well. But will the device give the recommended setting after any modification or it just displays the current value?
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 00:31   #4
BANNED

I am surprised. The people who installed the K&N filter for you was supposed to do the ECU reset in the first place. Or was it a DIY job?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 00:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I installed the filter at Trident hyundai, bangalore as I wanted to play safe with warranty. They are authorized K&N dealers. They did not even mention about ECU reset.
Old 15th August 2007, 03:56   #6
BHPian

I don't think that a stock replacement of filters requires an ECU reset. I had my stock replacement fitted by an authorised dealer in Mumbai, in my Elantra petrol & was given no such instructions. My power & other parameters are fine..increased..so should i go for a reset?
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 06:50   #7
BHPian

I have not done the ECU reset after fitting the stock replacement filter on my SWIFT. Probably, I have serviced my vehicle three or four times and it is likely that the service station guys may disconnect battery for whatsoever reasons and in the process ECU might have been reset. I am not too sure about that.

But I had no issues with the engine performance.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 11:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
But I had no issues with the engine performance.
PW is suggestng that an ECU reset might improve the performance, although without it also your car will run fine.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 11:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Am I in for a surprise here .

Well K&N Conical Filter and a FFE in my car. No ECU reset done as yet, is it mandatory?

If yes procedure please, so that I can do it right away. Jobless at home today .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 11:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should one do ECU reset? Think you guys should find an answer to that first

rj, just follow the steps in post #1. 30-45 min if you want

the 4th point is the answer to why we do this. If you want more performance, skip that step and drive your car as you usually do when you want performance out of it, for about 4-5kms atleast.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 11:26   #11
BHPian

PatienceWins,

I too have a 2006 Getz and am struggling with driveability in 2nd gear in city driving. Upgrading to a K&N filter seems to be a logical choice, do you see torque improvements after the upgrade?
Also how much did you pay for the stock filter?
PraveenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 11:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

ECU reset is not manadatory when replacing the air filter. The only thing is that it clears the previous values got from the MAF sensor. Even if you don't rest it, it will learn those new values.

However it's just good practice to reset it so that it starts with teh new values once you change the filter.

AFAIK, you can reset the ECU by simply disconnecting the battery for about 10mins and reconnecting it back again.

This works on my lancer and Alto.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:02   #13
BHPian

I remember when I installed my K&N stock replacement filter, I did not reset the ECU, but immediately the car felt like it was breathing more. It felt responsive enough. But it might have helped if I'd reset it at that time.

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 22:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
AFAIK, you can reset the ECU by simply disconnecting the battery for about 10mins and reconnecting it back again.

This works on my lancer and Alto.
Yup, worked for my Santro as well.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 22:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
PatienceWins,

I too have a 2006 Getz and am struggling with driveability in 2nd gear in city driving. Upgrading to a K&N filter seems to be a logical choice, do you see torque improvements after the upgrade?
Also how much did you pay for the stock filter?
Hi Praveen,
Sorry for the late reply. Did not notice your query.

The torque improvement is noticeable in lower gears. Thats where the getz is sluggish. Its very good for city driving. Now the car is able to handle speed under 20 in 3rd gear.
But the air filter makes little noise and the super smooth engine becomes little harsh when you rev it hard.