Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2007, 10:44   #61
BHPian

Dear Members,
I have a Maruti 800 2003 model with a Autocop fitted at the show rooom itself.A couple of days back when i got the car serviced the mechanic told me that the rear doors locking system was jammed and so he has removed the actuators and the locking is now manual for the rear doors.Since the Autocop warranty is for 3 yrs and I have crossed that period I wanted advice if these can be repaired ,if not from where can i get replacements.Can only 2 be replace or all 4 .What is the appox cost and where is teh closest pl;ace where I could get it.I am located at Mahad which is on the Mumbai Goa highway about 150 kms before Mumbai.
Thanks in advance,
Fergus
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 17:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fergus. I have autocop on my M800 too. Within the warranty period I had to get the actuators replaced 3-4 times due to jamming. This was primarily on the rear doors.

When i aksed the technician who had come to replace them, he said there was no repair possible and each actuator costs around Rs. 500/-

Please call the autocop guys. They will replace the faulty actuators and along with the price of the device be prepared to shell out a service charge also. My advice is dont buy them from an unauthorised store. Not worth compromising the safety of your ride.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 10:25   #63
BHPian

Hi aditya-thanks for the info I was told by my mechanic that they cost about 350 a piece.Do you have any website where i could get their phone nos as I am located in Mahad which is on the Goa Mumbai highway.Did you have to replace only the faulty ones or all of them.Thanks in advance.
Fergus
Old 25th August 2007, 12:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Generally the actuators are sold in a set of 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Hi aditya-thanks for the info I was told by my mechanic that they cost about 350 a piece.Do you have any website where i could get their phone nos as I am located in Mahad which is on the Goa Mumbai highway.Did you have to replace only the faulty ones or all of them.Thanks in advance.
Fergus
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 13:26   #65
BHPian

You can get single pieces too.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:34   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the system set to unlock in the case of an accident?

Most modern systems, especially the ones that autolock, in UK are: it can make a critical difference to getting people out of the wreckage.

But I imagine that it takes an impact that would leave rather large dents. Overkill for just having left the keys inside...

Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 10:50   #67
BHPian

Default Actuators for Autocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hi Fergus. I have autocop on my M800 too. Within the warranty period I had to get the actuators replaced 3-4 times due to jamming. This was primarily on the rear doors.

When i aksed the technician who had come to replace them, he said there was no repair possible and each actuator costs around Rs. 500/-

Please call the autocop guys. They will replace the faulty actuators and along with the price of the device be prepared to shell out a service charge also. My advice is dont buy them from an unauthorised store. Not worth compromising the safety of your ride.
Hi aditya,
Finally changed my actuators of the the rear doors.Bought original ones through Classique Margao Goa and asked for it to be couried down through a relative.It costs Rs 200 a piece.got it fitted through the local mechanic and its working fine now.
Fergus
Old 24th September 2007, 14:11   #68
BHPian

Doesn't classic deal with xenos? or are the actuators the same in autocop as well as xenos?
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 14:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

In delhi, you can contact autocop guyz and go in for an extended warranty (i think app 1750) for next 3 years, no matter even if your warranty has expired even 2 yrs ago....you'll get everything defective replaced for free. I did this.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 16:21   #70
BHPian

I got the actuator or gun as they generally call for 100 bucks. I installed it myself. Actually it's just a motor inside the sleeve. I guess many models share the actuators. Only the driver side actuator is a bit different which I guess is the master actuator rest all are same.
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:33   #71
BHPian

is that scale trick possible for wagon r too,if NO i can get rid off security system(enough security and no worries about security system failure).i am about to get my wagon r vxi delivered tomorrow !
sixthsense2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 00:07   #72

The scale trick surely works in the Santro...you need a two feet long metal scale and need to know the position to click the lock open...

I wonder if this happens - where to find such a long scale - cannot keep in the car as it would be of no use when the car is locked...
hdoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 12:09   #73
Team-BHP Support

Just a quick viewpoint. We have long argued that the remote central locking is of not much use and only creates a racket that no one bothers about anymore. However how useles it is that I got to see yesterday evening, first hand.

I went to fetch my car after its servicing. The key was hanging in the car (in the ignition) when I went there. Later while I was sorting out the billing issues I heard the familiar racket of my cars Security system. I went out and realized that someone had taken the key out and the polishing boy tried to open the door and in the process triggered the alarm.

So far so good. However the key was not traceable and the car was creating a ruckus there in the yard. At this time (while the boy had scurried away to find the key and the remote) a guard from the service station who was passing by heard the commotion and took out the key fob (my keys?!!) from his pocket and defused the alarm. As he started walking away I went to him and asked for my keys. He was surprised and said that he did not have my keys. I was dumbfounded. How did he stop that racket then? The entire thing dawned on me when I saw that by that time the guard had gone to another car whose bonnet hood was open and shut it down and then locked it, yes locked it, with the same remote fob!!!

Shucks! He had a master remote which he was using nonchalantly on every car irrespective of the brand of the security device. I guess you all can understand the ramification. Its that easy to get a universal remote?! And that too universal in what way! Any remote lock of any make opens with one single remote.

Throw that remote locking away if you thought it provides security. Its only good as a central locking... no security fekurity is there in that piece of junk for sure. Its only good as a convenient thing to lock/unlock all doors at one go.

An interesting aside is that the service engineer who was standing next to me was perplexed that I had latched on to the trick but denied flatly that the guard used a universal remote fob to defuse the alarm in my car. According to him it stopped on its own. BS... That alarm would have cried itself hoarse till the battery was connected. And I saw what happened so its beyond argument for me. He was going red behind the ears though while denying the obvious.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 15:05   #74
BHPian

Damn Zappo! I know these things are just uselesss.
The saying that goes like this : "Locks are only meant for shareef people" cuz crooks will open it however they want to.

I have personally seen a remote lock as a convenience only, just so that the doors open without the key. Period
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 17:09   #75
BHPian

In case of universal remote locking/unlocking it doesn't even remain a convenience or convenience at a high cost. It's equal to having no security. Anyone can open the door. No need to even use the scale.
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote