Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 17:32   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 77
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Windshield leakages

I have a Maruti 800 2003 model.A few weeks back I have noticed that water seems to leak from the gaskets of the front windshield and collect on the carpet during very heavy downpours.Is there anthing which i could do to remedy it or do I have to take it to an expert.Someone suggested using Fewitwik all along the edges.But for this the car would have to be very dry and that is difficult in the monsoons.What is your advice.
Thanks in advance,
Fergus
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

I think you should get the windshield rubber gasket checked and possible replaced if water is leaking in.

After this you should buy a nice HU, a pair of component speakers, one pair of coaxials and fit it in your car. In fact you should try and fit it yourself. If you need bass you can add subwoofers and amplifiers.
But you definitely need to put a rocking sound system.

You wont even care if the car falls apart after that, as long as there's good music inside.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 25th August 2007 at 18:44.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 15:38   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I think you should get the windshield rubber gasket checked and possible replaced if water is leaking in.

After this you should buy a nice HU, a pair of component speakers, one pair of coaxials and fit it in your car. In fact you should try and fit it yourself. If you need bass you can add subwoofers and amplifiers.
But you definitely need to put a rocking sound system.

You wont even care if the car falls apart after that, as long as there's good music inside.

What if all these are already installed? Will water still leak?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 15:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

If this is LBM's high SPL system, then the water will get pushed out of the leaks in the windshield along with your hearing and bits of sanity.
All leaking outside the car through the windshield cracks. This originated the word crack.

i.e. LBM is a crack fellow.
Translated: LBM paagal hai.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 16:16   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,165
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
After this you should buy a nice HU, a pair of component speakers, one pair of coaxials and fit it in your car. In fact you should try and fit it yourself. If you need bass you can add subwoofers and amplifiers.
But you definitely need to put a rocking sound system.
Keeping in mind the way a Maruti 800 is put together, its existing materials, dimensions and interior volume, what is the expected outlay on a "nice" HU, amplifier, subwoofer, coaxials and component speakers?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 17:43   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Keeping in mind the way a Maruti 800 is put together, its existing materials, dimensions and interior volume, what is the expected outlay on a "nice" HU, amplifier, subwoofer, coaxials and component speakers?
Sir, zyaada nahin, yehi kuchh 30-40... baaki sky is the limit, kya?!

Waise, "LBM's high SPL system" in Sam's post will convert an M800 into one of those Amaron-Battery-style ads: you play music, the car folds out like a cutout, then folds back into an M800 once the music ends and the owner wants to drive away. If played at such levels while driving, other M800 drivers will benefit from free spare parts willingly jumping out of the above-mentioned M800, unable to bear the stress they were not designed to take.

Last edited by DerAlte : 26th August 2007 at 17:44.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 02:03   #7
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I have a Maruti 800 2003 model.A few weeks back I have noticed that water seems to leak from the gaskets of the front windshield and collect on the carpet during very heavy downpours.Is there anthing which i could do to remedy it or do I have to take it to an expert.Someone suggested using Fewitwik all along the edges.But for this the car would have to be very dry and that is difficult in the monsoons.What is your advice.
Thanks in advance,
Fergus
Exactly the problem I fixed today. I had leak at the top of windscreen where the A-pillar and roof mearges. Verified the leak using water hose. Got some M-seal, mixed it, dried the lining a little with tissue paper and applied [M]seal between the rubber gasket and the metal. Seems to hold the water out... but then Bangalore really didn't get as heavy rain today as it got yesterday.
Try it as a tentative remedy.

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 27th August 2007 at 02:04.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 09:53   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 77
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks guys for the inputs but has anyone experience of using any quick sealing compounds like Fewitwik as the option of replacing the gasket means that I may be without the car for a couple of days.
Sam since you swerved into audio requirements what would you suggest on a low budget with my existing Nippon tape 2 speaker system to upgrade the sound by a small measure or is it ie the nippon system to be junked.Keep in mind I like music but I am not a educated audiophile.
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield broken without a reason? toyota Technical Stuff 32 8th October 2017 18:23
Windshield Experts (Fixing scratched / broken windshields / windscreens) manticore Modifications & Accessories 112 28th November 2015 10:10
Windshield Wipers. v12 Technical Stuff 23 28th November 2008 10:18
Cracked Windshield - Advise needed Vivek Technical Stuff 1 17th June 2005 20:43
Windshield cracked in Indigo TheBrainCell The Indian Car Scene 5 3rd July 2004 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks