Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th September 2007, 14:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
hello mr viper i think you misunderstood me completely , i meant 2000/- rs for reamoving the dents on my car,,,,,,
No zenopio, Viper is not wrong.
When he say "2k", he does not mean Rs 2000/- but is referring to a certain type of automotive paint known as 2k process. It involves mixing of 2 components, hence the word "2k". The components are paint/tint and an activator. Once these two are mixed in a certain proportion, the paint is ready for use.

2k paints in the market today are sold by Standox, Dupont, ICI, Akzo Noble, Basf, Asian-PPG, etc.

The earlier generation of paints were simple 1 component types, such as Duco, Permobel, etc.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cost to repaint a Car?

Any updates on recent cost to repaint a hatchback? My BIL was asking about repainting his Champagne Gold i10.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 00:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any updates on recent cost to repaint a hatchback? My BIL was asking about repainting his Champagne Gold i10.
Can you kindly provide some details so that we may help you with a more accurate quote??

1. Will you go with the same original shade or a change in shade is planned??

2. Condition of body-rusts, dents if any.

3. Planning at an FNG or HASS ??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 12:23   #34
BHPian

Shashi - just my two cents based on experience

I had gotten my Honda City (Dolphin) painted by 3M in 2013 and paid approximately 32k (metallic gold).

It looked spanking when it was handed over to me after 2 weeks and was in awe of it. However as time went by and monsoons arrived the rust areas (edges of the doors) inside, the side mirror areas and some parts of the boot and rear windshield got rusty.

I think the best way is to make sure you get a few quotes and ensure that the denting, sanding, claying and painting is done to your satisfaction. I for one could not supervise the job and now regret it.

So take your time off and make sure you are informed on various stages and personally check everything being carried out.

Cheers
S
saildrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 14:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Can you kindly provide some details so that we may help you with a more accurate quote??

1. Will you go with the same original shade or a change in shade is planned??

2. Condition of body-rusts, dents if any.

3. Planning at an FNG or HASS ??

Regards,
Shashi
He wanted to go for a different shade, a darker one this time. There is absolutely no rust but one door which was repainted earlier from an FNG needs a bit of sanding. Should be with HASS only or if I find any good FNG will go to them.

He was also enquiring for his white Punto but it needs sanding all over as it is a used car and most panels are shabbily repainted.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote