Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2007, 17:24   #1
Default Toyota corolla 1.8 HE clutch issue

We have bought Corolla HE in April2007. We have travelled close to 4500 Kms. Recently we had a long drive to Shridi via malshej ghat section. While returning to mumbai we got in to a traffic jam near Powai an intersection at a very steep slope. This route mean some times chaos and traffic jams. Because it is an incline and due to the jam I had to do the half clutch thing [pressing accelerator and clutch together] for almost half an hour and i was using hand break intermittendly. Overall action has resulted in some burning in the clutch plates.Basically smoke started coming out from the bonnet.
We immediately took the car to toyato showroom and they measured the clutch plates and confirmed the plates havent burnt and need not have to panic
Post checkup with Toyota i realise the clutch disengages almost at the end of pedal play causing engine revving even if it is restarted at slighter slope,
Another issue is jerking / shuddering when I release the clutch in 1st at a low speed.

Any sugestion/Advice on this
guhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think your clutch is gone, you need a new one, poor quality for Toyota, it even beats Swift as far as clutch life is concerned.

Anyways Welcome
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote