Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd April 2010, 15:08   #16
BHPian

Congrats DesertKing,

Manufacturer Claimed BHP for Zen Carb: 50BHP and MPI 16V 60 BHP.

The mileage of over 18 KMPL is really good. My 2003 MPI used to give 16-17.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:03   #17
BHPian

Hi Friends,

This is regarding my 99 Carb Zen Lx done 65k odo, the car pick up and rev is without smoke, but there is knocking sound more of when a zen does when its on lower speed with high speed gear, I got the filters oil and air changes, Oil changed with abro oil treatment added, spark plugs changed, fuel filter changed, but then when i open the oil filling cap it throws white smoke, I got the tappets set, ( BUT THERE WAS LOADS OF CARBON IN IT MECH showed me the same, he said cleaning the carbon would solve it, which he would be doing all himself he said) could this be true, My other mech is saying far and tilll i reach him the engine is warm and the knocking reduces, but very annoying as its heared in the car more than outside.
Please help
monster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 21:23   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Need help with my Zen

Re-opening a real old thread as i have a similar issue. I own a 2002 Zen AT MPFI. There is a wierd sound (like dab-dab-dab-dab. Constant) coming from the engine bay. I gave the car to RNS (showroom @ Yeshwanthpur, B'lore) and they said its the gear casing which was broken (not the set, but the bolt). They suggested to get it welded (brass welding). SO i got that done. Now after spending Rs 5,000 the noise is still persistent. Initially the gear casing had a broken nut. But now its fixed and does not move around anymore. This leads me to believe it's not the gear casing in the first place. I am thinking of re-visiting RNS tomorrow and bring this to their notice. Any idea what the sound could be. I have spent Rs 20,000 this month on my car to bring it back to life. New drive shaft, AC gas top up, new draining hose, all 'oils' replaced. She is a cracker of a car. But that 'dad-dab-dab' sound from the engine bay is annoying. HELP!
Car has clocked 55,875 km and rearing to go more

Regards,
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Calling all Zen gurus...

I can hear the timing belt rotating on the 2004 Zen MPFi. It is prominent only at idle. MASS said it was rubbing against the timing belt plastic cover and replaced the cover. The sound has almost gone, but it is still there..!

The SA says its normal on the Zen. Is this so ?
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 23:17   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have a problem with my Zen MPFI Euro II 2003 , 55000kms .It went like this
In the morning it refused to start , low battery .
In evening a push start done . Car got off 2-3 times in 4 kms each time push started.
Today the hand brake cable got burned and rear wheel were all cool.Thinking a short ckt my dad removed all wired from battery . Arranged a spare battery as alternator was not working and battery was dead connected wired back except two jbl original with fuses (alright) .car starts and drives effortless .

How did the handbrake cable got burnt , in a matter of 4 kms easy driving with no handbrakes engaged (remember the car was push started too)?
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 21:56   #21
BHPian

Help!!!
I have a 2001 Zen, which is clocked close 120k kms. The car has been idle for the past 3 months and today when JD(my driver) took the car the engine had a strange noise. The noise increases when accelerating. When the car was taken to the MASS the service person said that the engine needs a over haul and it would take approximately 10-12days with a cost of 30-35k.

Is this normal, the number of days to overhaul an engine? Should I check out local mechanics?
What exactly is going to be done as part of the overhaul? I'm thinking its a whole re build if they need the quoted 10days. Is it worth investing so much time and money?
kraft.wagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 22:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Help!!!
I have a 2001 Zen, which is clocked close 120k kms. The car has been idle for the past 3 months and today when JD(my driver) took the car the engine had a strange noise. The noise increases when accelerating. When the car was taken to the MASS the service person said that the engine needs a over haul and it would take approximately 10-12days with a cost of 30-35k.

Is this normal, the number of days to overhaul an engine? Should I check out local mechanics?
What exactly is going to be done as part of the overhaul? I'm thinking its a whole re build if they need the quoted 10days. Is it worth investing so much time and money?
Hey kraftwagen,

You have not specified what kind of sound it is. It may be the rubber belt scretching sound as well due to worn out or hardened rubber. Was the timing belt changed ever? If not, then probably the life of the belt is over.
Please let us know a bit in detail about the sound, then we would be give you proper pointers!

Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 22:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hey kraftwagen,

You have not specified what kind of sound it is. It may be the rubber belt scretching sound as well due to worn out or hardened rubber. Was the timing belt changed ever? If not, then probably the life of the belt is over.
Please let us know a bit in detail about the sound, then we would be give you proper pointers!

Saket
Hi Saket, I don't remember changing the timing belt and that was my exact doubt too. But since the MASS suggested over haul I was confused.
The noise is more like a "tuk tuk" from the engine bay, and it apparently increases with acceleration
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Saket, I don't remember changing the timing belt and that was my exact doubt too. But since the MASS suggested over haul I was confused.
The noise is more like a "tuk tuk" from the engine bay, and it apparently increases with acceleration
Hello Kraft.wagen,

Culprit or not, the time to change the timing belt has actually come, in fact I should write that its come & gone. Consider yourself lucky, if it was never changed in the 1.2L kms of the cars' life, but it definitely needs replacement now. Also, get the water pump replaced.

Regarding the sound, there could me many possible reasons:

1. Incorrect Tappet clearance
2. Alternator drive belt
3. Misaligned pulleys, etc
4. Compressor/ alternator bearings: high probability

Any other symptoms, like bad FE, excessive smoke, black/ blue/ white smoke, poor acceleration & torque?? Whats the condition of deposits on the spark plugs, and how often you need to top-up your engine oil?
I would suggest that you get it checked from another MASS too, just to be sure that the engine needs overhaul. Normally any engine which would require an overhaul would have most of the above symptoms too. However, all said, 1.2lacs on a Zen, ideally its the time for overhaul BUT I have seen Zens going strong until 1.75-2.0 lac kms too! Hence, take a call depending on the condition of the car, not on generalizations.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd July 2013 at 10:26.
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Kraft.wagen,

Culprit or not, the time to change the timing belt has actually come, in fact I should write that its come & gone. Consider yourself lucky, if it was never changed in the 1.2L kms of the cars' life, but it definitely needs replacement now. Also, get the water pump replaced.

Regarding the sound, there could me many possible reasons:

1. Incorrect Tappet clearance
2. Alternator drive belt
3. Misaligned pulleys, etc
4. Compressor/ alternator bearings: high probability

Any other symptoms, like bad FE, excessive smoke, black/ blue/ white smoke, poor acceleration & torque?? Whats the condition of deposits on the spark plugs, and how often you need to top-up your engine oil?
I would suggest that you get it checked from another MASS too, just to be sure that the engine needs overhaul. Normally any engine which would require an overhaul would have most of the above symptoms too.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket, thats a lot of info. I will be talking to the MASS today. There are no oil leaks, smoke or bad FE. I will talk to the guy and also have the car checked at the other MASS to confirm that there is no overhaul needed.
kraft.wagen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are no oil leaks, smoke or bad FE. I will talk to the guy and also have the car checked at the other MASS to confirm that there is no overhaul needed.
With the quoted info that you have provided, I think your car does not need an overhaul. Also, by top-up of engine oil, I meant oil consumption by the engine and not leaks. But I will assume that there is no need to top-up the oil as per your answer. But do replace the timing belt & water pump.

Try another MASS. Also, later I edited my post about the overhaul timing of Zen's engine. (probably after you had quoted me)

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd July 2013 at 10:38.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
With the quoted info that you have provided, I think your car does not need an overhaul. Also, by top-up of engine oil, I meant oil consumption by the engine and not leaks. But I will assume that there is no need to top-up the oil as per your answer. But do replace the timing belt & water pump.

Try another MASS. Also, later I edited my post about the overhaul timing of Zen's engine. (probably after you had quoted me)

Regards,
Saket
I just got off the phone, the service guy claims that the crank shaft has been affected. Reason being that we may not have changed Engine oil every year or 10k miles. I strongly don't agree since my car has always been serviced at the same MASS for the past 13yrs. I have told them to run a report and see if there has been a slip, and even if there was a delay in changing engine oil once or twice I dont think it can damage the shaft so soon.
While they do it, I will also have the car checked with another MASS to be sure that my parents are not been taken for a ride.

He claims the timing belt is fine and no troubles with alternator. Also since there are no leaks, the water pump is intact.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:53   #28
BHPian

I too bought a second hand Zen LX 1999 model. Got the regular jobs done like oils etc. fitted new tyres and alignment. Working well.
Now just observed slight water leakage passenger side under the dashboard during rains. What / where should I look to find the problem?
Gerardfdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
I too bought a second hand Zen LX 1999 model. Got the regular jobs done like oils etc. fitted new tyres and alignment. Working well.
Now just observed slight water leakage passenger side under the dashboard during rains. What / where should I look to find the problem?
Is it that the rain water is seeping in? If the windshield was replaced recently? Anyway, check windshield sealants.
Another case, does this happen with AC running? If yes, then a small pipe which carries away the condensed water, which runs near the co-passenger's foot well may have been damaged or just out of place. In this case too, some (but significant) water will keep dripping.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd July 2013 at 13:01.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Is it that the rain water is seeping in? If the windshield was replaced recently? Anyway, check windshield sealants.
Another case, does this happen with AC running? If yes, then a small pipe which carries away the condensed water, which runs near the co-passenger's foot well may have been damaged or just out of place. In this case too, some (but significant) water will keep dripping.

Regards,
Saket
No replacement of windshield and only during rains. The vehicle was not used much but not looked after either.
Could there be any other cause like in the Gypsy's the fresh air intake?
Gerardfdz is offline   Reply With Quote