Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th May 2010, 22:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

I ran my non-crde in Ladakh last year without any problems. The only place where there was starting trouble was at Karzok (Tso Moriri) where it was sub-zero temperatures the night we stayed there. All the Scorpios - we were 2 non-crdes, 2 m-hawks and 1 crde had problems. We cranked the engines to a start after 10-15 attempts.

We did not disconnect the EGR.

Ensure that your battery is in top condition, have it checked before you leave. If it is old (4 years +), you may even consider changing it before the trip.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:31   #92
BHPian

Sorry for the Ignorance... Buy what exactly does the EGR do, and what happens when it is disconnected ?
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:37   #93
BHPian

GD Bhai where does the Electric fuel pump go. In the bonnet next to the Mico Fuel Pump, just, just before it on the pipe coming from the tank.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:06   #94
BHPian

Hi All,

I safely reached Leh on 10th June, driving from Delhi through Kashmir.
Today I had gone to Pangong and Back.
On the way back we stopped at Chang La for 10-15 mins.
I had turned my Non CRDE Scorpio engine off.
When we were ready to go, the engine started in half a self. When I started driving down from Chang-La the Scorpio started emitting heavy white smoke, and it seemed that the power from the engine was just not there at all. This was at the top of Changla at around 18000 ft. I put the vehicle in Neutral and let the vehicle roll down for 4-5 kms. After driving down like this the white smoke subsided and then when I engaged gears I got back the power. After that the Scorpio was normal till Leh.
Does anybody have any idea what could have happened.
Could it be that the the problem was with the Clutch, and it was not transmitting the power to the deferential. Or could it be just the engine getting less oxygen?
I drive back to Delhi on the 17th June, and I have the day tomorrow in Leh if I need to get anything done.
Any tips ??

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 15th June 2010 at 21:09.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:55   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi All,

When we were ready to go, the engine started in half a self. When I started driving down from Chang-La the Scorpio started emitting heavy white smoke, and it seemed that the power from the engine was just not there at all. This was at the top of Changla at around 18000 ft. I put the vehicle in Neutral and let the vehicle roll down for 4-5 kms. After driving down like this the white smoke subsided and then when I engaged gears I got back the power. After that the Scorpio was normal till Leh.
Could it be that the the problem was with the Clutch, and it was not transmitting the power to the deferential. Or could it be just the engine getting less oxygen?
I drive back to Delhi on the 17th June, and I have the day tomorrow in Leh if I need to get anything done.
Any tips ??

Styler

@ Styler

White smoke is caused by water or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. Its only Head gasket that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake.

But if this is not a problem and as far as my experience is concerned, that diesel engines leaves white smoke when the engine is cold, and specially when you are in 18000 feet engine gets cool down easily and in very less time, so when you start your engine in this high alltitude area then it will leave white smoke for some time, and when your engine gets the 70-80 degrees of the temp. white smoke will go off automatically. So dont worry and be happy i guess its only a high alltitude that makes a difference, so check it out again that after your enhine has heated up, does it still leave white smoke....?

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Last edited by airwolf9211 : 15th June 2010 at 21:57.
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 21:56   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Any tips ??

Styler
I think because of the cold there, it must have been the condensation, and not anything wrong with the car, and the power loss may be attributable to the high altitude.

In my non-crde's case, I was emitting thick black smoke most of the time because of poor combustion.

I don't think you need to worry at all.
Old 16th June 2010, 00:00   #97
Senior - BHPian

Was your engine noisy during the period of white smoke? In that case apart from cylinder head gasket following may also be among the culprits:- 1. Worn out or damaged valve seats 2. Leaking injector holder 3. Restriction in fuel supply.

Spike

PS- Improper timing is ruled out as the engine regained full power after a while.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:44   #98
BHPian

Thanks,
The engine was not noisy at all.
It was just spewing white smoke and lost power.
As HVK sir suggests, it was most probably due to lack of oxygen, and condensation.
The Scorpio behaved completely normally after that.
I think I will do a basic inspection, and then drive to Delhi without worrying.
Styler
Old 16th June 2010, 08:48   #99
BHPian

Thanks Airwolf,
I will check the coolent level and make sure the coolant has not entered the engine oil chamber. If these things are true I think I should be fine.
Styler
Old 16th June 2010, 08:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will do a basic inspection, and then drive to Delhi without worrying.
You could check the sedimenter; it probably has water. Is there no indication for water in fuel filter?

White smoke was probably excess water in the fuel and the resultant water vapour and loss of power. Normally the smoke would have been black.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I put the vehicle in Neutral and let the vehicle roll down for 4-5 kms.
!!! Avoid this completely, particularly when you are descending twisty mountain roads - its an almost sure-shot recipe for disaster!!!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 15:40   #102
BHPian

Suman, Because the Engine was not transmitting power to the wheels at all, there was no point driving in any gear. The engine was powered on while I was driving down. It was enough to have my power steering and power brakes working properly.
I have reached Delhi safely now. We drove back from the Kashmir side, since the Manali road was still closed when we left.
Thank you everybody for all the help.
Here is a link to our pictures, including some pictures at the snow covered Zojila and Chang-La pass.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10870349...ehKashmir2010#

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 24th June 2010 at 15:45.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... The engine was powered on while I was driving down. It was enough to have my power steering and power brakes working properly.
Styler, you missed the point of what Suman said!
Brake fade? Please do read up about this.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 15:08   #104
BHPian

Default Re: Scorpio morning-start problem at high altitudes

Apologies for reviving a old thread. I am facing a similar problem but not at high altitudes. My 2006 CRDe Scorpio, done 75000 km, has starting trouble. Though nothing as swear as 15 crancks, it still takes about 5 cranks to start in the morning (ambient temp. 16 C). From the thread so far, I gather I should go for a injector cleaning with A.S.S but not sure what to look out for in the process. Please help.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 21:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scorpio morning-start problem at high altitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Apologies for reviving a old thread. I am facing a similar problem but not at high altitudes. My 2006 CRDe Scorpio, done 75000 km, has starting trouble. Though nothing as swear as 15 crancks, it still takes about 5 cranks to start in the morning (ambient temp. 16 C). From the thread so far, I gather I should go for a injector cleaning with A.S.S but not sure what to look out for in the process. Please help.
Maybe the flywheel ring has some broken teeth, that causes starting trouble since that slips when engaged with the starter. I had this problem, had to change the ring after which it became fine. But the starting trouble will be there at all times, not just cold starts.