Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 16:44   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars

An organized compilation has been put up for easy reference at the following link.
"Decode the VIN of you car (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))"




Is there something similar to VIN (US) in India ? Is it possible to figure out the manufacturing year or any other details from the Chassis number or the engine number of vehicles in India.

Especially the mahindra scorpio ?

Last edited by Stratos : 24th February 2011 at 10:18.
Albela is offline  

Old 11th September 2007, 02:35   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 18,849
Thanked: 9,048 Times
Default

Oh...

Maybe i was stupid to assume, but indian cars dont have VINs ??

cya
R
Rehaan is offline  
Old 11th September 2007, 11:12   #3
BHPian
 
arif_t01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 203
Thanked: Once
Default

In India, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) corresponds to the Chassis No: (Correct me, if i'm wrong!).


This is for TATA and i don't know if it's the same for other manufacturers also . In the Chassis No:, the first 6 numbers corresponds to the variant and then 3 alphabets indicating the month & year, and then the serial number.


The Months are represented by A to M (I is avoided)

and

The Year as follows:

ZZ - 2000
YZ - 2001
XZ - 2002
WZ - 2003
VZ - 2004
UZ - 2005
TZ - 2006
SZ - 2007 and so on
arif_t01 is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 09:42   #4
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: Once
Default how to decode the engine and chassis number

any 1 know how 2 decode the engine n chassis number on an Indian car

Ne one PLs I am picking up 2 cars n need 2 know

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (any1 = anyone, dat = that, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th February 2008 at 10:21. Reason: Please see note in post.
whatcanthisbe is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2008, 10:05   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,219
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

why do u want to decode them? give me the numbers. i might help u. i can decode them.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 10:10   #6
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
why do u want to decode them? give me the numbers. i might help u. i can decode them.
I need 2 figure out the details like yr of mfg n plant etc
u got pm
whatcanthisbe is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 10:46   #7
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: Once
Default

Let me get this.. The first 3 numbers are brz, this would be feb 2008 what about the alphabets & numbers after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
In India, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) corresponds to the Chassis No: (Correct me, if i'm wrong!).


This is for TATA and i don't know if it's the same for other manufacturers also . In the Chassis No:, the first 6 numbers corresponds to the variant and then 3 alphabets indicating the month & year, and then the serial number.


The Months are represented by A to M (I is avoided)

and

The Year as follows:

ZZ - 2000
YZ - 2001
XZ - 2002
WZ - 2003
VZ - 2004
UZ - 2005
TZ - 2006
SZ - 2007 and so on
whatcanthisbe is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 14:13   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,219
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

i hope u got the answers to your questions. i have replied perfectly in PM
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 14:15   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,219
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albela View Post
Is there something similar to VIN (US) in India ? Is it possible to figure out the manufacturing year or any other details from the Chassis number or the engine number of vehicles in India.

Especially the mahindra scorpio ?

yes there is VIN no concept in india too. now these concepts are being standardized globally. i.e all vehicles will follow the same logic of VIN no.

YES : it is possible to figure out the manufacturing year or any other details from the Chassis number or the engine number of vehicles in India.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,219
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Oh...

Maybe i was stupid to assume, but indian cars dont have VINs ??

cya
R
hi Rehaan,

Indian cars as well as buses and trucks have VIN ( vehicle Identification Number) which is same as chassis serial number

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
any 1 know how 2 decode the engine n chassis number on an Indian car

Ne one PLs I am picking up 2 cars n need 2 know
from your PM i can make out you are picking up indicas. that too 2 nos?? great. see i decoded the plant and what is manufactured in them.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2011 at 23:17.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 15:43   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,008
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Amit,

If it is not confidential, why don't you share the decoding information on this forum ?
hondadude is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 17:20   #12
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 725
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Here is the Indica/Marina/ Indigo coding:
I have picked this from Tata Indica Users Group. Due credits to Mr. Achin Juneja, the guru on Tata cars..Very useful info.

The Link:
Yahoo! Groups

MODS may please delete the quoted post if its violating any rights.

The post:
Chassis Number :
A typical chassis no. is --- 600132CTZP78900.

The first 6 characters are the model code --- in this case, Indica DLE.

The 7th character --- 'C' in this example --- represents the month of
manufacture, according to the foll. table :
A --- Jan.
B --- Feb.
C --- Mar.
D --- Apr.
E --- May.
F --- Jun.
G --- Jul.
H --- Aug.
J --- Sep.
K --- Oct.
L --- Nov.
M --- Dec.
Pls note that ' I ' is not used.

The 8th & 9th characters together represent the year of manufacture,
according to the foll. table :
Z --- 0
Y --- 1
X --- 2
W --- 3
V --- 4
U --- 5
T --- 6
S --- 7
R --- 8
Q --- 9
P --- 10
and so on.
In our example, the 8th & 9th characters are ' T Z '. Reversing the order
makes it ' Z T '.
As per the table, this converts to ' 0 6 ', or the year 20 06, the ' 20 '
being assumed.

The 10th character represents the Plant location, with ' P ' for ' Pune '.

The last 5 numbers comprise the Serial No. of the chassis.

So, our example no., 600132CTZP78900, means the model is Indica DLE,
manufactured in March, 2006, at Pune, having chassis serial no. ' 78900 '.

Engine Number :
A typical engine no. is : 475IDI__03 CTZP12345.
The first 6 to 8 character group represents the engine type, as per foll.
table :
475IDI --- Non turbo diesel.
475IDI TC --- Turbocharged Diesel.
475MPFI --- Petrol MPFI.

The next 2 digit number represents the emission norms as per the foll. table
:
05 --- BS-2 from Jan 2005 onwards.
03 --- BS-3.

The remaining 9 characters represent the month, year of mfr., Plant, &
serial no. of engine, as per the chassis no. tables.
So an engine no. of 475IDI 03 CTZP 12345 will be a non-turbo diesel engine,
conforming to BS-3, manufactured in March, 2006, at Pune, & having serial
no. 12345.

Last edited by hrman : 17th February 2008 at 17:22. Reason: Link added
hrman is offline  
Old 17th February 2008, 18:58   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,219
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Amit,

If it is not confidential, why don't you share the decoding information on this forum ?
ya the logic is not confidential. but "whatcanthisbe" PM me the exact serial no he wanted. i thought he PM me for confidential purpose so i replied him back in PM. But i misstook the serial no and judged the wrong model.

He is buying a TATA Safari with 2.2 litre engine.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 18th February 2008, 17:16   #14
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
ya the logic is not confidential. but "whatcanthisbe" PM me the exact serial no he wanted. i thought he PM me for confidential purpose so i replied him back in PM. But i misstook the serial no and judged the wrong model.

He is buying a TATA Safari with 2.2 litre engine.
yup a pearl white 2.2 ex
should be in it on wednesday and then a 350 KM drive on NH 1

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 18th February 2008 at 17:32.
whatcanthisbe is offline  
Old 18th February 2008, 17:59   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,008
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Here is the Indica/Marina/ Indigo coding:
I have picked this from Tata Indica Users Group. Due credits to Mr. Achin Juneja, the guru on Tata cars..Very useful info.

The Link:
Yahoo! Groups
This is great information hrman. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know if other manufacturers follows the same standard ? Is manufacturer id a part of chassis number as well ?

I was surfing on the net and VIN used in US seems to be standardized across manufacturers and the decoding is very standard.
hondadude is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN) wildon On buying a car 1878 29th July 2014 14:57
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 780 29th July 2014 10:49
How to tell the Manufacturing Date of a Tyre Jorge Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 44 12th January 2014 13:42
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF) planet_rocker The Indian Car Scene 81 6th November 2013 10:18
Lean Manufacturing in Indian Automotive Industry amitpunjani The Indian Car Scene 10 21st August 2007 15:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks