Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th September 2007, 17:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

You forgot the oldest trick in the book. call six guys, heave and its done
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 18:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

given that handbrake applies to rear, how cops manage to tow? I've hardly seen any cop disengaging any hand brake, they simply insert the hook and tow the vehicle.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

handbrake is applied to rear wheels. its a cable system, which can be loosened/cut to release.

need to figure out how disc hand brake actuation works, Crv has one so lets see
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:12   #19
Team-BHP Support

I think the cops do loosen the adjuster nut of the cable to slacken the brakes on the rear wheels. They first put it on hook and then raise the front. Immediately the in-gear front wheels become ineffective. Also, once the cars front is raised to a certain height the underbelly shows up and then its easy to loosen the adjuster.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

in this case, do one needs to readjust the cable after getting the towed vehicle back? or the lever bends with the loosening of cable and then functions normally?
Old 14th September 2007, 19:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Jaggu in most cases where they have all 4 discs they have something called emergency drum, parking brakes or even service brakes etc. which is nothing but a small drum and shoe mechanism installed along with the rear discs. This service brake is operated by the hand lever.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are quite a few designs available. These are specially developed for use in cars, and are disc brakes with integrated parking brake, using the same set of friction elements hydraulically and mechanically.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
In cars with rear disc brakes, the emergency brake either actuates the disc calipers (with a lesser force then what one would get by applying pressure on the regular brake pedal) or a small drum brake housed within the hub assembly. CRV should have either of these. Let us know once you find out.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 20:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Firstly its too much of a hassle to go underneath the car and loosen nuts/cables etc.

It is far easier to just unlock the car using the scale method. Thats what happens in Bombay. Once the car is open, they disengage the gears and the handbrake. Job done in less than 5 mins.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
It is far easier to just unlock the car using the scale method. Thats what happens in Bombay. Once the car is open, they disengage the gears and the handbrake. Job done in less than 5 mins.
SO the cops actually rob the car and tow it away ? Is it legal for a cop to open the car and disengage the gears and handbrake ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
SO the cops actually rob the car and tow it away ? Is it legal for a cop to open the car and disengage the gears and handbrake ?
dont think so, here i have seen them CUT the cable, yup with big scissor like thingie used to trim you garden grass this was couple of years back

now they are more considerate and even use tyres as cushions to ensure the bumper is not damaged by the chains.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 23:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

I once saw the tow truck helper guy getting under the side towards the rear wheel Axel and fiddling with something before the tow truck started moving.

Adjusting the handbrake?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 09:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post

Drifter
AFAIK this technique used to work fine with the M800s. I doubt if it would work on modern cars with sophisticated security systems which surely will not give in to a scale. Can anyone shed more light on this?
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 11:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Scale works on almost every car....if scale fails a nice thin strong wire would do the job.
Old 15th September 2007, 12:17   #30
BHPian

as far as bombay is concerned, i have still seen the towing method to be the same old way, and yes it works on the best of cars, my NHC was also towed away, when i got back to get it, the gear was shifted to neutral and handbrake disengaged. once i saw these tow guys trying to tow away a matiz, which had a cool sec system, everytime they would open it with the scale it would immediately relock itself, finally they gave up and towed away the esteem next to it.

about breaking into the car, well i would say if they are doing that to tow away then its still better than burning rubber or cutting cables or loosening the handbrake, i would rather have them open my car than to fiddle with its mechanics
ibcool is offline   Reply With Quote