Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th October 2015, 08:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car was half submerged in water - What to do?

The water levels don't seem too alarming, however please have the car thoroughly inspected by MASS before attempting anything.

You might have to get new upholstery!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 14:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Tush,

From the pictures, I doubt if the engine or ECU would have been affected.
If the water has to get in through the exhaust to the engine, the water level should have reached much higher than this, that is more than the header height.
ECU if am right is placed at battery height to prevent damage like this.

I feel mechanically your car is safe, probably have to get the rear drums cleaned.
Nevertheless, better to get it towed and be at the service center when they are inspecting the car to see they don't take you for a ride.
Also, since the exhaust system( the end can and resonator) will be filled with water, that will need to be drained out.

Last edited by tharian : 16th October 2015 at 15:02.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 18:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

tush
Keep in mind that I have seen many vehicles wade at same depth through the "first class" Pune roads during the better days when Pune used to see good rains every monsoon.

I don't see any reason why your vehicle should come up with a repair list at all!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 00:34   #49
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

The vehicle was towed today to the MASS. Estimate -

Regular service
Engine oil
Gear oil
Brake oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Floor Matt replacement if needed
Wheel alignment and balancing
One wheel cap
Cost - 12800/- (2000 included for floor Matt)

He said, will give me a call in a while about the engine status.

I leave for office.

Get a call about after 3 hours. Engine is fine, no issue of water. But the power steering control module is not functioning. It's located inside under the floor Matt. Water inside the cabin could have damaged it. Cost - 9000/-
The fuel water sensor below the diesel filter is also appears damaged. But he said he will clean and recheck it else 1700/- for it.

Told him will call him in a while.

Decided to not claim insurance as would get only 50 percent for this module, sensor and floor Matt and would loose out on no claim bonus and increased premium.

Called him and informed him my decision. He says one more issue identified. The water in fuel light had come up when the cranked the engine. Will have to clean the tank and throw away the diesel(tank was full as had filled it 2 days before the incident.)
I told him he should have checked that before as throwing away diesel is better then cranking the engine with it. He said don't worry as soon as we cranked the indicator came up and we powered off the engine. No issue with the engine he says.

12800 + 9000 + 1700 :-(
tush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 09:19   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Check if ECU was submerged and if not remove the spark plugs, then crank the engine. Water will get pushed out. So just get it towed soon.
Sir, it is a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Swift DDIS
Quote:
Regular service
Engine oil
Gear oil
Brake oil
Oil filter
Air filter
One wheel cap

Get a call about after 3 hours. Engine is fine, no issue of water. But the power steering control module is not functioning. It's located inside under the floor Matt. Water inside the cabin could have damaged it. Cost - 9000/-
The fuel water sensor below the diesel filter is also appears damaged. But he said he will clean and recheck it else 1700/- for it.
I would have stayed there till they fired the engine, period.

Get all lubricants changed along with diesel filter. Power steering control might have been damaged as well because of its location. Insist that they show it to you & hand it back to you.

And most important, get the carpet peeled out and have it dry-cleaned. Once the carpet is out, get the bare floor cleaned. Else rust will be formed sooner or later.

Until and unless engine doesn't take water, there is no reason to get worried. Injector or turbo taking in water is not as risky as engine taking in water with conrod going off.

Good presence of mind to not fire up the engine Don't worry, this thing saved you from huge repair bills & unnecessary headache.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th October 2015 at 09:21.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 02:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,

The vehicle was towed today to the MASS. Estimate -

Regular service
Engine oil
Gear oil
Brake oil
Oil filter
Air filter
One wheel cap

He said, will give me a call in a while about the engine status.

I leave for office.

Told him will call him in a while.

Decided to not claim insurance as would get only 50 percent for this module, sensor and floor Matt and would loose out on no claim bonus and increased premium.

Called him and informed him my decision. He says one more issue identified. The water in fuel light had come up when the cranked the engine. Will have to clean the tank and throw away the diesel(tank was full as had filled it 2 days before the incident.)
I told him he should have checked that before as throwing away diesel is better then cranking the engine with it. He said don't worry as soon as we cranked the indicator came up and we powered off the engine. No issue with the engine he says.

12800 + 9000 + 1700 :-(
They changed the fuel pipe going from the tank towards the engine.

Total bill around 25000.

Car Delivered after a test drive. The fuel Gauge was almost at E. Filled up 500 bucks diesel from BP pump. Drove around 23 km until upto third day morning.

Found that fuel guage had dropped 2 points with just 23 Km driving. Found something fishy as didnt appear normal.

Drove the car to office and now it was around 36 Km until third day afternoon.

Evening 6pm leave office(Third day) the car engine suddenly stopped while I was waiting on a signal at a busy road post a nice no traffic, no congestion sort of freeway road in the IT park where I got a chance to take it at 80 kmph.

Had to get help from people around to push the car to the road side.

Tried cranking about 15 mins later, it did start after 3-4 attempts and pressing the accelerator only helped it, but the engine stopped in about 20 seconds.

Called MASS SA. He send two representatives with the SDT(Suzuki Diagnostic Tool). They didnt find any error codes registered by the SDT. They removed the fuse and reconnected but the same behaviour. After 15 mins it would start for only a minute and then the engine would stop with all the lights coming up on the speedometer console.

Car towed back to the service station. 1700/- dent to the pocket.

SA suspected faulty pump motor due to the water issue that had happened where he said they had found water in the tank for which they had to clean it all.

He had ordered a new diesel fuel pump motor from their other branch and said will give me a call.

This was my worst experience ever and I was suppose to travel to Mumbai. Got Lucky that it didnt happen at the express way and happened in the city itself while i was leaving for mumbai. I can just imagine what if it happened while the car was in motion and not idle at a signal.

No call from the SA yet, called him up in the evening. He confirmed its the fuel pump motor in the tank thats gone bad and currently with the new one its just all good and engine is functional and they are test riding the car.

Additional Dent to my pocket 12000/-

For some reason I am not convinced of water going in Diesel tank. Because the tank is sealed and has one inlet and one out let which have no gaps, else there would be diesel leaking. Add to it the SA confirmed they didnt find any water trace in the engine and the engine all. SA said even he is surprised how would water go inside the tank.

Not sure whether I am been taken for a ride due to this whole basement water issue. I am seeing others who have similar situation with their car, haven't bothered to go to service station, they just cranked the engine and got their cars out of the basement and are good. Car should be ready today morning.

If water has entered the tank that means there is some design fault. Should I be asking Maruti to pay for the motor then.

Too much frustration and too little time to fight along to know whether I am being taken for a ride.

Last edited by tush : 28th October 2015 at 02:13. Reason: Typo
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 22:46   #52
BHPian

Default Re: Flood damage - Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just curious to know, would Insurance companies honour this claim ? Isn't it an "Act of God" ?
The insurance company (Bajaj Allianz) did honour the claim. They deducted some money for late intimation - as I was abroad when this happened and only informed them one month after the flooding - but they sold the vehicle to a salvage dealer and paid over the full IDV less penalty for late intimation.

Case closed.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 23:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They changed the fuel pipe going from the tank towards the engine.

Total bill around 25000.

Car Delivered after a test drive. The fuel Gauge was almost at E. Filled up 500 bucks diesel from BP pump. Drove around 23 km until upto third day morning.

Found that fuel guage had dropped 2 points with just 23 Km driving. Found something fishy as didnt appear normal.

Drove the car to office and now it was around 36 Km until third day afternoon.

Evening 6pm leave office(Third day) the car engine suddenly stopped while I was waiting on a signal at a busy road post a nice no traffic, no congestion sort of freeway road in the IT park where I got a chance to take it at 80 kmph.

Had to get help from people around to push the car to the road side.

Tried cranking about 15 mins later, it did start after 3-4 attempts and pressing the accelerator only helped it, but the engine stopped in about 20 seconds.

Called MASS SA. He send two representatives with the SDT(Suzuki Diagnostic Tool). They didnt find any error codes registered by the SDT. They removed the fuse and reconnected but the same behaviour. After 15 mins it would start for only a minute and then the engine would stop with all the lights coming up on the speedometer console.

Car towed back to the service station. 1700/- dent to the pocket.

SA suspected faulty pump motor due to the water issue that had happened where he said they had found water in the tank for which they had to clean it all.

He had ordered a new diesel fuel pump motor from their other branch and said will give me a call.

This was my worst experience ever and I was suppose to travel to Mumbai. Got Lucky that it didnt happen at the express way and happened in the city itself while i was leaving for mumbai. I can just imagine what if it happened while the car was in motion and not idle at a signal.

No call from the SA yet, called him up in the evening. He confirmed its the fuel pump motor in the tank thats gone bad and currently with the new one its just all good and engine is functional and they are test riding the car.

Additional Dent to my pocket 12000/-

For some reason I am not convinced of water going in Diesel tank. Because the tank is sealed and has one inlet and one out let which have no gaps, else there would be diesel leaking. Add to it the SA confirmed they didnt find any water trace in the engine and the engine all. SA said even he is surprised how would water go inside the tank.

Not sure whether I am been taken for a ride due to this whole basement water issue. I am seeing others who have similar situation with their car, haven't bothered to go to service station, they just cranked the engine and got their cars out of the basement and are good. Car should be ready today morning.

If water has entered the tank that means there is some design fault. Should I be asking Maruti to pay for the motor then.

Too much frustration and too little time to fight along to know whether I am being taken for a ride.
To be honest Tush, let me give you a little perspective on your incident. It's just my opinion and please don't take any offense.

From the picture you have posted, Let me give you an analysis.

The water in fuel filter sensor will not touch the water with the water level shown in the picture hence that going bust is not possible. Something sounds fishy with the analysis of the MASS or they were fleecing.

I am surprised water entered the fuel tank, I mean its all sealed, the secondary diesel pump is located above the fuel tank and the water has not reached that level too.

Diesel being thrown away is surprising too, there is no way water could have got inside the tank, there is no place to as water level was way below the diesel filling enclosure which has a small hole to let the vapors out and if that is submerged, chances of water getting inside are present.

The defective diesel fuel motor being changed because of water which is not at a level too to reach it seems fishy.

If I were in your place and I have been in this place before, I would have just checked the oil for contamination(my oil sump seal has been changed 4 times because of minor leaks and hence the oil I would have checked just to be sure from the sump seal, it has not entered the sump), waited for the water to recede, cranked her up , take her for a drive and voila it would be all good.

Yes the gears would not shift properly the first couple of kilometers because water would have entered the clutch assembly and the pressure plate would be wet and sticky, but nothing a few kilometers of hard driving can't bring back to normal.

Last edited by humyum : 30th October 2015 at 23:18.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 23:18   #54
BHPian

Be careful here, I had a similar incident when I had my alto and water got inside just at the level of foot mats. Bimal guys in bangalore told me that the ECU has got damaged and I will have to pay 30k for the same. I did some checks and found out that the water didn't reach to the level where ECU was placed.

The SA was hell bent on the fact that ECU has got damaged, He was even telling me why I am making such a fuss as I was claiming through Insurance.

I got paranoid and went to the service head and instantly got the reply that no need to change the ECU. So you may want to check.
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 23:38   #55

Just now I had to drive my santro through a water waded road to railway station in tvm, kerala. People from kerala can easily relate to the flood situation I just experienced from the pictures usually posted in newspapers the day after rains. It was a brief drive for a few meters through water but still I am really scared about the after effects. I parked my car in the garage and kept the engine running for a few mins with the bonnet open (don't know why, just did it without any reason). Anything else I should be doing to prevent any damage? Please help!
sujit_as7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 08:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
To be honest Tush, let me give you a little perspective on your incident. It's just my opinion and please don't take any offense.

From the picture you have posted, Let me give you an analysis.

The water in fuel filter sensor will not touch the water with the water level shown in the picture hence that going bust is not possible. Something sounds fishy with the analysis of the MASS or they were fleecing.

I am surprised water entered the fuel tank, I mean its all sealed, the secondary diesel pump is located above the fuel tank and the water has not reached that level too.

Diesel being thrown away is surprising too, there is no way water could have got inside the tank, there is no place to as water level was way below the diesel filling enclosure which has a small hole to let the vapors out and if that is submerged, chances of water getting inside are present.

The defective diesel fuel motor being changed because of water which is not at a level too to reach it seems fishy.

If I were in your place and I have been in this place before, I would have just checked the oil for contamination(my oil sump seal has been changed 4 times because of minor leaks and hence the oil I would have checked just to be sure from the sump seal, it has not entered the sump), waited for the water to recede, cranked her up , take her for a drive and voila it would be all good.

Yes the gears would not shift properly the first couple of kilometers because water would have entered the clutch assembly and the pressure plate would be wet and sticky, but nothing a few kilometers of hard driving can't bring back to normal.

Water in fuel sensor was saved, they cleaned it and its working. They did not replace.

Fuel pump motor was replaced. They waved of the labor. So the dent was 10800/- just for the motor.

But after the fuel pump motor(located in fuel tank) was replaced, car test drove and delivered to me. Again the similar symptom. The car stopped just in around about 60 Km total drive after taking delivery from MASS.

The technician visited on the spot on my call. He removed one end of the fuel pipe thats connected to the engine and attempted to start to verify if fuel is getting pumped. The fuel did flow out from the pipe with pressure as he attempted ignition.

Since it was exact similar symptom which had occured prior to changing this fuel pump motor, I questioned and asked this means the old fuel pump motor had no issue, but the technician of MASS had no answer.

I asked them to tow the car and pay for the towing now. Which they did.

Car taken back to MASS. Told them if they would have taken it all in insurance when i reported water submerge issue this would have saved me a lot of money. They told me it was all in good faith they didnt consider insurance since initial analysis by them didnt require too much work in the car.

Now the car is with them, they informed me there was a plastic part they found which could have been left when they changed fuel pipe which could be blocking the flow and they have removed it now. Then again after a day they call and said there is dirt in the fuel tank which was blocking the flow of fuel. I did tell them that the fuel tank was cleaned by them during the first incident reported of car submerged in water. Then why all this now ? No correct answer to this ? HOTA HAI SIR...

SA said, they usually blow air through the tank to clean it, but there are some corners where the dirt gets stuck and doesnt gets removed so easily. He said he just checked with his finger and found dirt stuck into the tank. This kind of dirt could be coming out and causing blocks in fuel flow.

He has replaced the fuel tank and said would refund the money of new fuel pump as they are testing the car on previous old fuel pump motor and validating it has no issue.

Car driving with new fuel pump motor for 50 km. Now they are checking with the old one.

The car was towed this last sunday, and a job card was made.

Have asked them to ensure this gets covered in Maruti Insurance. This is appearing a challenge to them as the bills have already been paid by me based on their guidance from time i reported submerged in water.

Last edited by tush : 4th November 2015 at 09:17. Reason: typo
tush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:40   #57
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

It rained heavily last night. Worst fears came true when I woke up to this. Haven't started the engine. What do you suggest I should do? Does the water level look alarmingly high? The exhaust pipe is submerged completely. Saw that water has seeped into the interiors too.
Attached Thumbnails
Car was half submerged in water - What to do?-punto1.jpg  

Car was half submerged in water - What to do?-punto2.jpg  

Car was half submerged in water - What to do?-punto3.jpg  

Car was half submerged in water - What to do?-punto4.jpg  

deoelect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:53   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Hi Bhpians,

It rained heavily last night. Worst fears came true when I woke up to this. Haven't started the engine. What do you suggest I should do? Does the water level look alarmingly high? The exhaust pipe is submerged completely. Saw that water has seeped into the interiors too.
As of now leave the situation as it is until the water is pumped out. Even if you try opening the door it might lead to more water going inside. Once the water is pumped out you can investigate further. I dont think the water would have reached the intake. Hence dont start the car until the whole intake system is checked. Since the intercooler is submerged, there could be changes of slight seepage inside incase some hose is cracked or loose.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Once the water is pumped out you can investigate further.
Thanks for your suggestion audioholic. Unfortunately, the water level is not receding and has risen up. The hazard lights of the vehicle have turned on automatically. A lot of vehicles have met the same fate in the basement and the owners have a feeling that the damage has already been done. Even if the water is pumped out later, should I call up the insurance company and inform them about the situation? Read somewhere on the forum that the earlier we inform them, the better it is.
deoelect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Thanks for your suggestion audioholic. Unfortunately, the water level is not receding and has risen up. The hazard lights of the vehicle have turned on automatically. A lot of vehicles have met the same fate in the basement and the owners have a feeling that the damage has already been done. Even if the water is pumped out later, should I call up the insurance company and inform them about the situation? Read somewhere on the forum that the earlier we inform them, the better it is.
If you can grab a couple of jacks, put some bricks under them, raise the front as much as you can, and then prop the car up with more bricks. Ough to make sure that the Intake doesnt go under even if the level keeps rising.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote