Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th June 2009, 20:27   #76
BHPian

i have bought bosch Aerotwin wiper blades for my fiesta.they work absolutely fine!
the design of the aerotwin wiper is much different from that of the stock wiper blades. these wiper blades look like that of in Skodas and Volkswagens.
streetracer_919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 01:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
i have bought bosch Aerotwin wiper blades for my fiesta.they work absolutely fine!
the design of the aerotwin wiper is much different from that of the stock wiper blades. these wiper blades look like that of in Skodas and Volkswagens.
I tried the Bosch Aerotwins on my Corolla for a few days a couple of years back. To much judder whilst sweeping across the windshield possibly caused by too much spring tension. Bought the refill blade pack (referred to in my post below) and stuck with OEM. They certainly wiped the glass cleaner than the Bosch.

My Altis has similar looking wipers. Havent tried Aerotwins (still have them stored away someplace), but mean to one day.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th June 2009 at 01:42.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 01:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Cleaning the blades with soapy water (car shampoo) and drying them with a soft cloth is the best way to maintain the blades. I'm not too sure about using WD 40 on the blades, as it might lead to streaking of the glass.
WD40 is supposed to keep the rubber soft. Car shampoo is not gonna do that. Anyway, you wont know unless you try. You can wipe the blades after the WD40 cleaning... then how can it streak the glass?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 16:47   #79
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
you wont know unless you try. You can wipe the blades after the WD40 cleaning... then how can it streak the glass?
And try i did After my usual weekend wash, i cleaned the wiper blades with shampoo, rinsed them off and let them dry. After about 3 hours (that's how long I take to do a full clean of my car ), I sprayed some WD40 on a cotton swab and wiped the blades and then wiped it again with a clean cotton cloth. Should see the affect of it soon - considering that the monsoon has reached Bangalore.

I had been noticing a light streaking over the past week, when driving in rain. Will update once I have had a chance to test this.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 7th June 2009 at 16:49.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 06:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Arunk,

This is not a "wiper maintenance" issue at all and so maybe your thread title was somewhat misleading. I think it is a condensation issue. This often happens when you are driving with windows closed, AC on, and it is drizzling outside.

1) Scenario #1: The car's inside might be colder (due to the AC) than the outside and condensation is developing outside the windscreen (akin to what happens outside a glass containing cold water - condensation on the outside). The wiper actually aggravates the situation, especially if it is not making an absolutely clean swipe and leaving a very very very thin layer of film outside the windscreen - which in turn is condensing and making visibility poor.

Solution - Heat up the windscreen; turn the temp a little to the warmer side, and change settings to open vents that will direct the warm air to the windscreen. You can leave the AC on.

2) Scenario #2: Car's inside is warmer than the outside. Can happen in winters, where windows are rolled up, recirculation is on, and the temperature setting is more to warm. In this case condensation develops on the inside of the windscreen.

Solution - Try to bring the temp of the car's interior more at par with outside temps, esp, the windscreen. Turn on AC (dehumidifies interior - a lot of the condensation in the inside is due to breathing), decrease temp a bit towards cooler, put off recirculation mode.

Your problem seems to be #1 ; I have faced it many times and it happens a lot on humid days when there is precipitation/drizzling.

As for the Wipers, Bosch is a good brand, but really your problem is one of condensation than anything else.

Excellent Post.
I upgraded to Bosch Wipers around 3 months back as my old wipers had gone for a toss. Yesterday during downpour I was facing the exact same rubbing problem. Ac was on. However rubbing was happening only when the driver side wiper blade used to be on its way down. And the sound would fluctutae. Sometimes it would screech loudly while other times it would be just a soft scrape. It was really confusing and I was doubting the wiper angle.

Anyway i had some waxpol glass cleaner with me . Used it to clean the windscreen as well as the wiper blade and they pulled up the stalk to get some soapwater on the windscreen . Sure enough the wipers were not rubbing anymore. But the main test lies during downpours. Anyway thanks will surely keep in mind.
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 11:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Default Saving On Wiper Blades

I drive on a "tutty" track called Surat-Hazira and the road has more clay slurry than bitumen.Trucks spray clay so much that even a polymer blade would go for a toss in half a monsoon.

Here is my experience with a new technique on extending the life of wiper blades.This applies only when both blades are equal in length(Omni,M800,Versa,Padmini etc.)

The amount saved is trivial(peanuts in fact) but what I have experienced as a driver of 16 years is that the left blade need not be super perfect ,except perhaps if the co driver is some kind of navigator.

2007- swapped the left and right 2006 purchased Bosch blades and used the same set in the 2007 monsoon ; meanwhile got a complimentary set of Syndicates

Jun2008 to sep 2008 - used one new syndicate(Right) and old Bosch(left)

Oct2008 - Jun2009 - removed the Syndicate and put back the old Bosch(R)

Jun 2009 - contd. - using both Syndicates(unused one on right and partly used one on left).A boon in the rain

I have also seen that Bosch blades rubber quality is top notch - the Bosch I bought in 2006 have not developed a single crack but are throwing minor streaks.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:12   #82
BHPian

Now that the monsoon is around the corner I had gone to get a new pair of wiper blades for Indica and Safari. Have following questions:
1. What is the shelf life of a wiper blade- got a pair of Bosch thats dated 01/2008. Is it too old to be called NEW?
2. Is it worth spending on Aerotwins or is it better to stick to the conventional (and good) Bosch and replace them more often instead- Aerotwins for a Safari cost Rs 2000/- for a set of two.
3. As someone suggested is it worth (makes economical sense) to have a new one for the driver side and use the older one for the passenger side and then follow that sequence buying one new every year for the driver side- this is possible for Safari as both, the driver and the passenger side wipers are of the same size.
Ravi Kashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I'm married to Robert Bosch's grand-daughter

Actually, I know places which stock the genuine stuff.
Please let me know where do I get the genuine stuff. I am looking to buy the Aerotwin blades from bosch for my Dzire. I am using the Normal Bosch wipers which I bought from Om sai Motors (Authorized Bosch Service Center) last year in July.

Also if you could tell me the approx pricing it would be great.

As of location, I work in ITPL and live close to Maratahalli if that helps.

I have this problem when it rains. The fog tends to accumulate on the outer part of windshield and continues even after rain stops. I tried mixing shampoo, sonax liquid in the water.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 3rd June 2010 at 08:31.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:40   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Please let me know where do I get the genuine stuff. I am looking to buy the Aerotwin blades from bosch for my Dzire.

Also if you could tell me the approx pricing it would be great.
Deepak,

You must visit J C Road to get a pair of genuine AeroTwin wipers. My reliable source has been J K Automobiles. Fantastic folks and genuine stuff.

Phone no : 26708210.

Ask for Srinivas.

Suggest you call him and ask him to keep it ready (just in case he doesn't have them in stock)

Cheers

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I have this problem when it rains. The fog tends to accumulate on the outer part of windshield and continues even after rain stops. I tried mixing shampoo, sonax liquid in the water.
I had the same problem with my swift. I run the OEM wiper blades. I tried several things like
1. Cleaning the wiper blades everyday.
2. Added Colin with water to the wiper spray.
3. Added Vim Liquid with water to the wiper spray.

Solution:
Get the windshield cleaned in any of the Shell Gas Stations. The water & mist slides off after that. I asked them what is the solution that you use, they weren't aware of it. There is a drum filled with this solution that they pour into the cans.

Next time will check with the manager or the guy incharge. Let's see if we'll crack it.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 12:20   #86
BHPian

Default Re: How to maintain your Wiper

Hi Guys

I had started developing issues with driver side factory fitted wiper in my wagon R facing first monsoon of its life .
When the rains starts to get moderately heavy, the wiper starts making sound with contact on glass surface when moving towards left.
It looks like rain water is creating friction on getting trapped between wiper and glass surface.

The result is that there is annoying sound and water not getting removed from galss prorperly.

I promptly got wiper blade replaced with new one in Maruti service center, the guy also added a pouch of shampoo. It was an Maruti unknown OEM brand .

Today again in moderate rains the same issue re-surfaced.
Point to note that if I spray the windshield fluid, the problem gets resolved temporarily.

I also noted that right side of wiper is making noticeable vibrations when in action.

Can it be a issue with motor, is motor covered under warranty?

Really don't know whats the issue, the money gone to replace wiper blade have been wasted.

Last edited by born_free : 7th August 2012 at 12:22.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 12:45   #87
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
I had started developing issues with driver side factory fitted wiper in my wagon R facing first monsoon of its life.
Point to note that if I spray the windshield fluid, the problem gets resolved temporarily. I also noted that right side of wiper is making noticeable vibrations when in action. Can it be a issue with motor, is motor covered under warranty? Really don't know whats the issue, the money gone to replace wiper blade have been wasted.
Wiper squeaks and troubles on a new car is unlikely. The OEM blades supplied usually last about a year or two before they start to give up. Again, this depends on whether you park your car in the sun, since most vehicles parked in the sun tend to have brittle rubber on the wiper blades much sooner than say a car with covered parking.

Since you replaced the wiper blades and the sound still persists, it must be due to a thin film of oil on the windshield. I had noticed this once on my Santro. Try cleaning the windshield with a good quality cleaner or try Colin and then wipe it dry with a couple of wads of tissue. This should remove the problem. It worked in my case.

If the problem still persists then it might be due to the alignment of the wiper arm on the windshield. Service Centers are notorious for creating this problem where the guys in the washing bay lift the wiper arms awkwardly which lead to arm getting bent and slightly misaligned which can also cause a noisy wipe.

It is not a problem with the wiper motor assembly. The motor assembly is very robust and is usually trouble-free for the lifetime of the car.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 15:04   #88
BHPian

I have a reasonably new Ertiga (~2 months old), but my problem is with the Wipers.
It rained in Mumbai last night (very neat and heavy I may add), and I noticed the following:

1. Front Wipers - Lots of Streaking (Lines), Patches of water/ moisture left in between. True for both the units.
2. Rear Wiper - Would clean on the way up, would dirty up the glass on the way down, and for the last 1/3 part, seems to lose contact with the glass.

Question: What should I do? Follow the cleaning steps in this thread (Was going to try WD40), or should I contact Maruti Service?

This has been reported to my Service Center, they have tried to clean the wipers with soap water, but no change in the outcome was noticed.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 17:32   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Question: What should I do? Follow the cleaning steps in this thread (Was going to try WD40), or should I contact Maruti Service?
I faced the same issue with my then brand new Swift. I believe the quality of wipers supplied by Maruti Suzuki on their cars is third grade and you might want to look for suitable after market replacements. I would buy a set of Bosch wipers just before the next monsoon.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 18:19   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
1. Front Wipers - Lots of Streaking (Lines), Patches of water/ moisture left in between. True for both the units.
I have this issue too in my Ritz VDi (1 year 10 months old). I have change the wipers twice though MGA. This set was replaced in June'12. Now the blades jump when it is straight and going back to the lower part. When it moves up it cleans well but while returning it makes lines. This lines part is more for the left side wiper.

MASS is clueless about this and are saying that the Wiper assembly must be changed. This issue has started off recently and when asked about warranty then the service adviser went away saying we will try again saar!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote