Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th October 2012, 18:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How to maintain your Wiper

What about the glass? Its quite possible the glass has micro scratches and that can make it difficult to get a clean wipe. Experienced this myself, when Chowgule (MASS) in Pune ruined my windshield by sandpapering it to remove paint sprayed by mistake. These small scraches are usually not noticeable in daylight. Night time with light coming from certain angles reveal them better. Check it out if this is a possible cause.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 18:52   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
What about the glass? Its quite possible the glass has micro scratches and that can make it difficult to get a clean wipe. Experienced this myself, when Chowgule (MASS) in Pune ruined my windshield by sandpapering it to remove paint sprayed by mistake. These small scraches are usually not noticeable in daylight. Night time with light coming from certain angles reveal them better. Check it out if this is a possible cause.
Glass seems to be fine buddy.

OT. Did you get your windshield changed as MASS spoiled it themselves?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 19:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Glass seems to be fine buddy.

OT. Did you get your windshield changed as MASS spoiled it themselves?
Yes, and its a long story. They did it only after Maruti's intervention. Of their own accord, they simply denied doing any wrong at all (and they did a lot of wrongs, besides damaging the windshield) and flatly refused to replace it. I'v summarized this story few months ago in another tread.

The headlights were also ruined, and they did not replace those. Instead they took it to someone who "specializes" in headlight restoration. Apparently, what they do is abrade a v thin layer of the plastic lens. This gets rid of hairline scratches and also removes yellowness/dullness on old plastic lens headlamps. The results seem amazing in daylight and the lense can look almost new. But once you see it at night with the headlight on, you see that the headlamp is covered with a gazillion (maybe finer) scratches. These possibly disperse light, so no way the lens can perform as new. Maybe this is why Maruti Suzuki does not recommend such practices. For windshield at least they clearly told me they do not recommend any kind of restoration or rubbing of the glass. There is no acceptable solution for getting rid of any kind of scratches. However, I might say (for headlamps) that the result is still better than using headlight with yellowed lens as I guess the removal of the surface yellowness/opacity results in better light output despite the micro scratches. I got this done at Chowgule's expense (they denied any wrongdoing on their part, and made it sound like it was a complimentary gesture on their part to keep me happy); but when I asked them the cost of doing it to other cars, I'd say its not worth it, compared to the price of a new headlight assembly. The cost was something like half the cost (or whereabouts) of a new assy for my Maruti. Anyway I feel they once again did something which is neither authorized nor recommended by Maruti, but then the result was a tad better than what it was to begin with, so I let the matter rest as the unpleasant story had dragged on for months by then.

Oops... I feel I may have gone a tad off-topic? Anyway, what I'v attempted to emphasize is that if the surface is scratched/damaged or has any kind of film over it (clear coat in my case, thanks to Chowgule... could be road grime, etc., in other's cases) then its possible that no wiper may do its job very well.

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th October 2012 at 19:28.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 22:11   #94
BHPian

I bought these Aerotwin lookalike blades (Cool Concepts) last monsoons. I had a problem with squeaking and shuddering initially. Then I started using the windshield wiper fluid from Turtlewax (forgot the name). And the squeaking stopped.

I also wipe the blades once a week with a tissue and its been two monsoons and the blades are still doing their job perfectly.

So, to take care of the blades, ensure that you wipe them (on the point where they touch the glass) at least once every week. Also use the windshield wiper fluid in your tank (currently using Sonax).
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 22:33   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
So, to take care of the blades, ensure that you wipe them (on the point where they touch the glass) at least once every week. Also use the windshield wiper fluid in your tank (currently using Sonax).
Using my AEROTWIN since 2008. Still works like new. SONAX windshield wiper fluid is good but you don't get to see them in stock always.
I use a mix of glycerine and water solution to keep the rubber soft. I do it frequently these days in Mumbai because my car doesn't have a covered parking any where.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 23:18   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Using my AEROTWIN since 2008. Still works like new. SONAX windshield wiper fluid is good but you don't get to see them in stock always.
Sir if you visit bangalore sometime, then spar in mantri mall can be the place for you. They have got lots of Sonax wiper fluid in stock. I got myself two bottles yesterday at 98rs each.

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 20:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

I ran into this thread by chance & boy am I thankful !! My LR Freelander is making this shuddering sound & patchy wipe on the LHS. The set of wipers cost INR 8000/- -Yes that is right just the wiper blades cost INR 8k I have no choice but to replace them, or else the windscreen may get scratched.

I tried putting Vaseline on the blade overnight & wiped it with tissue paper in the morning - does not seem to work.

There if absolultely no visible damage & the rubber is soft to touch, so no hardening either. Honestly - I would love to try out a solution instead of replacement.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 20:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
I ran into this thread by chance & boy am I thankful !! My LR Freelander is making this shuddering sound & patchy wipe on the LHS. The set of wipers cost INR 8000/- -Yes that is right just the wiper blades cost INR 8k I have no choice but to replace them, or else the windscreen may get scratched.

I tried putting Vaseline on the blade overnight & wiped it with tissue paper in the morning - does not seem to work.

There if absolultely no visible damage & the rubber is soft to touch, so no hardening either. Honestly - I would love to try out a solution instead of replacement.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks
Take a 5 rupees colgate tooth paste, the white paste not the gel one. Wet the wind screen. Take a moist sponge and apply the toothpaste and rub in circular motions till the whole windshield is covered. Use one full tube for it. Leave for a minute and then wash off. It should help .
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 21:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Recently on a long drive in monsoon,i noticed that driver side wiper in my Linea,is not wiping properly,on closer inspection i found out that a part of rubber was torn,and since Linea comes with Aero sort of wipers i couldnot find them in open market,and since i was away,from my city,i could not find a aftersales either,then the super intelligent me took out 5Rs feviquick and fixed that torn rubber,i switched them on and voila it seemed the wiper was fixed,as it started wiping properly,but after the trip i realised,what a big fool i was,dry feviquick had left a scratch on the windshield.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 03:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Any suggestions ??

Thanks
How about trying to treat the rubber with WD40? It has been known to soften rubber. Not tried myself. Just occurred to me after reading your post. Do post your experience if you try.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 18:32   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Take a 5 rupees colgate tooth paste, the white paste not the gel one. Wet the wind screen. Take a moist sponge and apply the toothpaste and rub in circular motions till the whole windshield is covered. Use one full tube for it. Leave for a minute and then wash off. It should help .
Now that sounds interesting & do-able - thanks Will try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
How about trying to treat the rubber with WD40? It has been known to soften rubber. Not tried myself. Just occurred to me after reading your post. Do post your experience if you try.

Sorry I do not know what WD40 is

Cheers
Old 5th November 2012, 10:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried but none worked, maybe the wiper blades are different or some such thing. Hence got a new pair installed. It was imperitive to have good wipers as the winter here warrants useage of wipers due to weather conditions.

So a brilliant noise free wipe henceforth. Costs a B O M B + some more, but one does not really have a choice there :-(

Cheers