Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th February 2016, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Default Re: More details - Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi Guys,

I am also facing similar problem with my 2007 Alto Lxi which otherwise is in pristine shape. ....

Visiting 3M and take their advise. Can the fellow bhp-ians give some advise? Now I am not in a big favour of getting this repaired (if at all possible) outside of Maruti service centres because I am afraid it will affect the resale value of the car.
Sorry, saw this now only. After it rusts there is not much you can do. I have sold my car in 2010.

What I remember is the following:

1. Hyundai service suggested me to replace the complete door and bonnet. It was costing a bomb.

2. Got it inspected by 3M dealer at Nandanam (I dont think 3M had setup its shop then in Chennai). I think Balaji dealers or something. For the bonnet, since rust was underbody they did lot of brushing, filing and then used anti rust coat (no guarantee). However for my door, since the rust was external - paint finish would be lost - we decided to leave it asis. I sold off car in same condition after 1 year. Call it irony. The rust did not spread.

When I bought my Safari, I did underbody coating. Touchwood, no rusting so far.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car Rust - Any Solution?

I have noticed rust inside the door frame after removing the rubber beading. There is rust on both sides. The funny thing is this door has been covered by a door visor for the past several years. And I'm not sure how water could have collected here. The other side door has rust in the exact same place.
Car Rust - Any Solution?-img_20171222_200312.jpg

Car Rust - Any Solution?-img_20171222_200606.jpg
Should I repair or replace this door? I have not had much luck with repairs of rust in my rear hatch. The rust keeps coming back
I should be able to get a replacement scrap door for a few k compared to around 10k for a new one. But am a bit concerned about pre existing rust

What is the recommended approach?

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd December 2017 at 09:22.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I have noticed rust inside the door frame after removing the rubber beading. There is rust on both sides. The funny thing is this door has been covered by a door visor for the past several years. And I'm not sure how water could have collected here. The other side door has rust in the exact same place.
Attachment 1708614

Attachment 1708615
Should I repair or replace this door? I have not had much luck with repairs of rust in my rear hatch. The rust keeps coming back
I should be able to get a replacement scrap door for a few k compared to around 10k for a new one. But am a bit concerned about pre existing rust

What is the recommended approach?
Hi. Was your problem solved? If yes, what was the approach? My 2008 Swift Dzire also has rust spots on doors and door frames. There is an inch wide hole due to rust at the door :(
raptor3624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 06:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor3624 View Post
Hi. Was your problem solved? If yes, what was the approach? My 2008 Swift Dzire also has rust spots on doors and door frames. There is an inch wide hole due to rust at the door :(
I have literally parked this issue as my car is mothballed due to me being abroad.

Tactical solution - treatment with https://www.amazon.in/TUFSEAL-RC800-...rust+converter

Strategic solution - replace doors with scrap units - Probably will need to do this in chennai
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Use a rust converter, a double coat is preferred,you can paint over it.
It will stop further progress of rust. Second solution is to replace door. Rust converter works great. Hope this helps.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 07:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Strategic solution - replace doors with scrap units - Probably will need to do this in chennai
If you are planning to stay for longer period in Chennai, I will suggest you to go for door replacement. I lost my beautiful Bajaj Pulsar's original chrome muffler entirely to rust even after caring for it like baby.

Monsoon and Humidity there just eats away metal.

TufKote has solutions for underbody & rust inhibition and it has been 3 years since first coat and its still holding on pretty good. (touch wood).

Last edited by prithm : 5th March 2018 at 07:51. Reason: spelling
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote