Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th January 2016, 13:14   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Help! Car submerged in flood

At Thad - Bit late to the party (should I even call it that) but I completely echo your words in these pages. My 6 month old Vento submerged fully and my 2.5 year scorpio had water just above the bonnet.

Had to run from pillar to post to get the insurance guys to even come. I had offered to pick them up too but it took them almost 4 weeks before they arranged a surveyor. Next step was to get the VW guys to get an estimate. Guess what, they asked for some pictures of the car that I had taken and said they will send an estimate. The estimate came up to Rs 13.8 lakhs and all this without even seeing my car.

Looks like they just dont want to step out of their pretty offices to do the "dirty" work.

The Scorpio though is getting ready because I had no intention of letting a master piece like her and thankfully service guys are know to me.

Thank god for small mercies.
anvara is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 13:33   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Royal Sundaram guy came today and handed over a cheque for 3,20,000. I don't know how they arrived at that number.

A buyer is supposed to be coming tomorrow, who will pay 1,30,000, supposedly in cash, and take the car away. But the water is muddied, as well as the car, because the Royal Sundaram guy said, "... Or you could keep the car yourselves and get it repaired." He even mentioned Ignite Garage.

It's been sitting there for a month. The water in the headlights has gone green. Why couldn't they have have said that before?

Although life must go on is the order of the day, I don't think it is exaggerating to say that that those of us who have been in this flood are really suffering from post-traumatic stress.

I feel that if the car was salvageable (and I think, if electronics spares had been available, it was) then that should have been done a month ago. Now everything has suffered yet more from even sitting there in that state.
Thad, really sorry for your Polo. This would have been an excellent offer from the insurance had it come one month earlier. You got a damaged Polo for 1.3L and you have 3.2L to fix it. I agree to some post here that flood related damage estimates to cars are largely exaggerated. Once my old Zen got submerged to seat level in a flash flood. Once the water receded in 3-4 hours, I just got in to driver seat, cranked the engine and drove away. It suffered only cosmetic damages to upholstery. But that was a 1994 model with minimal electronics. Even now you could have tried this buy out option had this been a Maruti. I am not so sure about VW spares.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 19:43   #378
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried out copart?

http://www.motoroids.com/news/chenna...as-rs-5-lakhs/
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 21:25   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
For everyone it is there own. But, Thad, after seeing this whole thing for 30 days now and talking to so many car affected people in my neighborhood, I am pretty confident that most of the cars can be brought back to shape. ... ... ...
Encouraging words, but... hey ho, the cookie has crumbled :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
At Thad - Bit late to the party (should I even call it that) but I completely echo your words in these pages. My 6 month old Vento submerged fully and my 2.5 year scorpio had water just above the bonnet.
six months! At least I got four years out of my car. Could weep for you. Really.

Quote:
Had to run from pillar to post to get the insurance guys to even come. I had offered to pick them up too but it took them almost 4 weeks before they arranged a surveyor. Next step was to get the VW guys to get an estimate. Guess what, they asked for some pictures of the car that I had taken and said they will send an estimate. The estimate came up to Rs 13.8 lakhs and all this without even seeing my car.
Royal Sundaram were better than that. I can hardly imagine what it must be like to be on the insurers' side of the incoming phone calls. We have mostly been able to get hold of people to talk to in hours. In this kind of en event, I think it is reasonable to expect normally-minutes to be hours, and normally-days to be a week or two,

This morning we got the Ignite guys to come and look at the car, which was pretty good of them, as they obviously were far from certain of getting any work out of it. The option was to pay them around 10K for a basic cleanup, engine flush, and see what works, which I think would have been a very fair offer, especially when you look at the kind of numbers the main dealers are putting people off with. The trouble is, then, if there is hope, comes the spares: air bag units at 70K each came into the conversation. The radio would be dead-cert-dead. If the project failed, then we probably couldn't go back to the insurers and say, "err... you know that buyer you had, well..."

The official response, which I think has been confirmed here, is that there are no VW spares for this kind of electronic damage. VW won't import them for us. Individuals can, or can access them through grey-market dealers, but it is a grey situation.

Warwithwheels, the insurers are putting these vehicles up for sale online. I guess its a free for all if anyone wants to bid. I don't know if it happened, but a friend of mine was looking at a BMW as a personal restoration project.

Even showroom cars must be available.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th January 2016 at 21:27.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 21:50   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Has anyone tried out copart?
Had read the news and created an account. Followed the auction. The Porsche mentioned with base price as 5L, went for 25L.

I had created a thread on this. Was able to download the detailed info on all car including the VIN. Details in this post

Quote:
Warwithwheels, the insurers are putting these vehicles up for sale online. I guess its a free for all if anyone wants to bid. I don't know if it happened, but a friend of mine was looking at a BMW as a personal restoration project.

Even showroom cars must be available.
Thad, can you check the link above? Was your Polo in the auction list?
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 08:56   #381
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chennai Flood Impact: Large number of cars up for online auction at throwaway base prices

Friends, not sure if this is the right thread. Please see if you can answer my query. One of my friend's Safari was completely submerged under water. If anyone has the checklist of Tata Safari, Type-A flood check list, please provide. His Safari is still lying in the workshop and needs this checklist desperately to ensure that he gets the car in good condition back from the workshop. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 11:49   #382
BHPian

Been a long time since the incident. No sign of response from the insurance company or surveyor or the service company.
This is how the car rests meanwhile.

I have a query. The alloy wheels are extra accessories added to the car (cost difference of Rs.40K after exchange), when can I remove it? Can I remove it? The insurance company has supposedly put it on offer with the present alloy. How do I deal with this situation? I want my alloy wheels back.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Car submerged in flood-20160101_115243.jpg  

Last edited by Visaster : 7th January 2016 at 11:53.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:06   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Been a long time since the incident. No sign of response from the insurance company or surveyor or the service company.

I have a query. The alloy wheels are extra accessories added to the car (cost difference of Rs.40K after exchange), when can I remove it? Can I remove it? The insurance company has supposedly put it on offer with the present alloy. How do I deal with this situation? I want my alloy wheels back.
If those alloys are not declared in the insurance policy as extra fitment I dont understand how the company can claim rights on it. If you can swap it with whatever came from the company, I guess people shouldnt have an issue with it
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 13:47   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although life must go on is the order of the day, I don't think it is exaggerating to say that that those of us who have been in this flood are really suffering from post-traumatic stress.
Nick,

I feel your pain here - this must be such a headache and a unresolved question troubling you each day, not to mention the sudden calamitious financial liability.

Hope the new year concerts are helping you folks get over the pain.

PS: Someone spare a thought for those driver-owners who would have bought taxis for Ola/Uber on loan only to have it snatched away from them so cruelly like that.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 15:09   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nick,

I feel your pain here - this must be such a headache and a unresolved question troubling you each day, not to mention the sudden calamitious financial liability.
Indeed. We are lucky that we have the money to spend, with repair/replacement/travel/incidentals of over 2 Lakh (not including the car, of course). Many far worse off.

Quote:
Hope the new year concerts are helping you folks get over the pain.
For me, the rasika of the family: definitely. probably caught only 5% of the December concerts that I would have gone to, but they were really, really therapeutic. One young lady was delighted when I told her that her concert had been the only one in which I didn't think black water or flood defences even once

Mor Mrs G... We went to three T N Krishnan concerts, one of which was to a tiny audience, in a tiny temple, and, for the first hour, an acoustic concert in the dark, which was an extremely magical experience.

It warmed my heart to get enquiries and messages of support from several musicians (hey, I'm just a guy who sits in the audience) and one senior artist even telephoned us from another city.

Quote:
PS: Someone spare a thought for those driver-owners who would have bought taxis for Ola/Uber on loan only to have it snatched away from them so cruelly like that.
I've heard of drivers getting stranded in some place for days. We have met drivers whose houses were fully flooded. Some were lucky that the car was elsewhere, others were driving on a daily-rental basis.

It's been hell for all of us, rich, poor or middling.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th January 2016 at 15:11.
Old 7th January 2016, 15:39   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

One of my friend was in similar situation with his punto 90HP alloys and tyres. He had spend almost 90k on them. Car was towed to the dealer service yard. We spoke the service people and they agreed to let us in and change the wheels. He found punto stock alloys for very cheap on olx and we got second had tyres from a tyre shop. We went to the service yard and changed the alloys. Earlier we though of changing just the alloys but that was too much trouble.

Edit: get some WD40 if you want to do the same, because of water lug nuts might be difficult to remove.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 7th January 2016 at 15:42.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 20:27   #387
BHPian

Situation is same for my car. No progress from Bajaj Allianz. Will not be insuring my next car with them.

Other insurers seem to be better - Future Generalii, Iffco Tokio and Tata AIG.

Bajaj allianz has lost their reputation (whatever left of it) with their ZERO customer service, total lack of process and no urgency.
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 23:11   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Other insurers seem to be better - Future Generalii, Iffco Tokio and Tata AIG.
Bajaj allianz has lost their reputation (whatever left of it) with their ZERO customer service, total lack of process and no urgency.
It all boils down to leadership commitment and customer focus.

Change in either = tai tai fish
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:34   #389
BHPian

I am curious to know how Skoda service in Chennai doing for the flood affected Vehicles? Is it as good as (or) as bad as Volkswagen? My Friend has been thinking about Rapid for quite some time just holding back due to their poor reputation. Just thought of checking if there are any known cases (good or bad) with respect to this in Chennai.
sathya_g_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 14:52   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
I am curious to know how Skoda service in Chennai doing for the flood affected Vehicles? Is it as good as (or) as bad as Volkswagen? ... ... ...
I have driven a VW Golf, for a couple of years, back in London, and it has been long been my modest ambition to own a VW, even a small one.

Well, now I do, and I can tell you that it is my last VAG car.

I feel very sad to see the enthusiasm in the various Polo threads. An enthusiasm that I used to share. But if I post in those threads now, it could only be to say that, ok, buy a VAG car, but, the day you get stuck in a flooded underpass, or otherwise get your car full of water (It hapens; it isn't that rare) is the day that VW will wash their hands of you, and all you get is the insurance settlement.

VAG: Disposable cars.