Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th January 2016, 15:15   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Help! Car submerged in flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
"least protection to damage" in the context of flooding ?
The ECM in my Maruti alto was in a steel case with no protection whatsoever and the metal connecting rods just rusted and broke away on just moving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Themselves said I could keep the settlement sum and get the car repaired myself.
I am not sure too cause the car will be listed as total loss in insurance data base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Something tells me the best option is to take personal loan and get all the electronics/electricals changed. Engine will be nothing more than draining, cleaning and refilling.

Can be a suggestion for people who don't want to haggle with insurance guys !!
If you had see the quality of sewage water which flowed through our cars and the amount of corrosion and bleaching it has caused I doubt you will suggest that option, unless it was very minimally exposed to the flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Visaster, we cannot generalise this method stating that people go for this option for pocketing money. So, if he saves 30% it is his luck and this money can be kept for future expenditure.
To me excess money after all repairs seemed like a sweet offer and indeed it does not tally somewhere. Why will the insurance company be so lenient?

If the car is considered total loss by the insurance company and entered in the database, can it be repaired and re-insured? What kind of insurance will cover these cars, third party?

Thanks to local mechanics people are saving money in that case, avoiding the exorbitant service quotes from A.S.S. What people loose is piece of mind, no warranty on repairs and no one to question in case something goes wrong. I don't think anyone should take this route for at least safety reasons of fellow members of the family.

Last edited by Visaster : 12th January 2016 at 15:24.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 16:37   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
If you had see the quality of sewage water which flowed through our cars and the amount of corrosion and bleaching it has caused I doubt you will suggest that option, unless it was very minimally exposed to the flood.
Very true! The Buckingham Canal, which directly flooded our house and car, had been (like the rivers) running at its cleanest in (possibly) living memory, but still, all flood water is a mixture from drains sewers and all.

One of the pictures I (unfortunately) cannot forget from our flood day is black water belching out of the toilet.

Yes, that is part of what has gone into our cars. I still wonder about our Polo (as yet it is still here). One thing that occurred to me yesterday is that the mud is not only in the upholstery and the carpets, but it will also be in the AC/ventilation ducts. I think I have breathed enough of that stuff (with added mould spores, of course) without driving around with it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 10:19   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

In that case, its a nothing more than total loss. Even a 100% insurance settlement will not do justice to revive these cars. The worst part of this is that scrap dealers will make a killing in haggling for these cars since there is so much potential for second hand market with repainting and engine overhaul.

I am wondering if scrap dealers are taking you guys for a ride in such cases !!
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 00:30   #409

Thumbs down Re: Help! Car submerged in flood

With a lot of push and helpful friends, managed to best 100% IDV on my 3 year Passat. Wondering how the buyer would set the car right (or) would he cannibalise the parts - neither of which the manufacturer refused to do, despite tries aplenty. Sigh. May the car have a safe journey.
KalyRaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 05:51   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

My Polo is finaly setttled. I have the money from the insurer; I have the money (in cash) from the buyer.

I also have the car. They don't seem in any hurry to take it away. Of course, it is Pongal, but still.

One day I will learn to be suspicious before the evemt instead of leaving it until afterwards. My suspicion now (hope I have to post a retraction in a few days time) is they are not interested in moving the car until they have a buyer. I suspect that some of these buyers are not guys that will actually repair the cars, but guys that will sell them on, as is, or a small margin.

If that situation does continue, we will move it, and inform them that it is in the street, and we do not take any further responsibility for what happens to it there.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th January 2016 at 05:53.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:50   #411
BHPian

Quote:
My Polo is finaly setttled. I have the money from the insurer; I have the money (in cash) from the buyer.

I also have the car. They don't seem in any hurry to take it away. Of course, it is Pongal, but still.

One day I will learn to be suspicious before the evemt instead of leaving it until afterwards. My suspicion now (hope I have to post a retraction in a few days time) is they are not interested in moving the car until they have a buyer. I suspect that some of these buyers are not guys that will actually repair the cars, but guys that will sell them on, as is, or a small margin.

If that situation does continue, we will move it, and inform them that it is in the street, and we do not take any further responsibility for what happens to it there.
What happens as paperwork?
Did you sign name transfer sort of forms? In a country as large as ours. Passing to many hands with out proper documentation leave the documented owner at risk if the car gets to wrong hands.
I hope folks keep vigil when this dual settlement happens.
sathya_g_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 11:15   #412
BHPian

Has anyone gotten back a car after a substantial repair from chennai floods ? as per popular belief, do you face electrical nags with such cars ?
varadha_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 21:24   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make sure to hold the original copy of the "Delivery Note", this is very important.

If the buyer details are not updated in RTO records even after a month from the sale then you may need to send a registered post(with acknowledgement) to the RTO with a copy of "Delivery Note" saying that you have sold the car but the buyer is yet to do the transfer process.

You can also refer to the below team-bhp article for the documents that needs to be retained and the ones that should be submitted to the buyer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821 (ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India)

Last edited by arun_josie : 16th January 2016 at 21:26.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 23:16   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
What happens as paperwork?
Did you sign name transfer sort of forms? In a country as large as ours. Passing to many hands with out proper documentation leave the documented owner at risk if the car gets to wrong hands.
I hope folks keep vigil when this dual settlement happens.
My thoughts too. I have given a receipt for the cash, and the buyers will give me a "delivery note," which will be signed when the car is collected.

I have "identity proof" docs from the buyer. I will enter them on a copy of RTO Form 29 as transferor details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Make sure to hold the original copy of the "Delivery Note", this is very important.

If the buyer details are not updated in RTO records even after a month from the sale then you may need to send a registered post(with acknowledgement) to the RTO with a copy of "Delivery Note" saying that you have sold the car but the buyer is yet to do the transfer process.

You can also refer to the below team-bhp article for the documents that needs to be retained and the ones that should be submitted to the buyer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821 (ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India)
The said delivery note is just a personal thing that anybody could knock up. The formal thing seems to be the form 29, which seems to be addressed to the RTO from the seller.

I'll check out the link. I was thinking that I should look at that thread, and you made it easy for me!

I'm racked with doubt... I wish I'd had the car properly examined, and really thought through and made informed and costed-out decisions about restoring it. I guess it is natural that, now, after the thing is fixed, I should be convincing myself that it wouldn't have been that hard. Hey ho.

As to they buyers leaving the car in our garden, I think I can retract that. We were expecting them today, but, after so many of the "just another ten minutes" calls, we had given them an hour and were late for our own appointments so we left before they [allegedly] did turn up. Rescheduled for Monday. Sunday may not be holiday for them ...but it is for us!
Old 17th January 2016, 13:27   #415
BHPian

Dear All,

My 2011 Alto K10, which was submerged above dashboard level, was finally towed on 1st January, and parked in the Alandur yard of MSM.

At least till it was here at home, I ripped off the floor carpets and let the floorboard dry. I even released the handbrake and moved the car to and fro once in a couple of days, to save the tyres and prevent the brakes from getting jammed. These are preventive steps you can take if car is still not towed.

It is now lying in the yard, neglected, for more than two weeks. Sad situation for a workhorse which served me well. Of course, it is sitting in the midst of hundreds of similar others, but I am starting to feel bad. There was so much water still there when it was towed. The silencer emptied itself on the road due to front being lifted and jostled by the tow truck. Water from the dashboard emptied into the cabin again, and more water filled up the tail lamps.

I am starting to feel that the car can be saved. More so because of the recent interactions with MSM in this regard. The SA called me last week and I have been in touch ever since. I asked him straight, that if they have a pre determined estimate depending on the make and model of car and level of water submersion, then why the delay? He then said that they're processing only about 20 cars per day. They bring the car to the workshop, clean the engine, try starting it, check other parts, and then prepare the estimate with or without the cost of the engine! I was surprised, especially after hearing horror stories about other manufacturers' dealer workshops preparing blind and exaggerated estimates. This has given me some hope, however little it is! I recall the interaction I had with the regional service manager, who had said that all critical parts will be replaced in a 'repairable' situation. If this is true, I'm really happy with the efforts Maruti is taking, maybe genuinely understanding the positive sentiment factor that we Indians associate with our vehicles. I sincerely hope that all manufacturers take genuine efforts while handling such sensitive situations. If the car cannot be saved, at least the company's reputation and customers' trust in them can be retained. The operative word here is sensitive.

For about a month, I managed travel with Ola / TFS / Uber and struck up healthy conversations with most of the drivers. The personal rapport was invigorating and very much educative for us. I learned about happy and sad stories from most of them. Some had got their submerged cars repaired locally to protect their livelihood while others' brand new cabs escaped the floods.

In the meanwhile, I bought a second hand 2010 Alto F8 Lxi from a friend of a friend. I now got the much needed mobility that I was missing for a month now.

Hoping for the best outcome for everyone.

Peace.

Regards,
Abhishek
satanic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:00   #416
BHPian

Good to know that Maruti is being sensitive. My uncle's 2015 Honda city S petrol that was submerged till window sill for about 3 minutes, before they pushed the car to higher ground, got an estimated repair bill of 10lakhs from Honda. My uncle has claimed Total loss for IDV of 8.5 lakhs and is getting a new car. The car was turned off the whole time and the estimate also included a new differential which is just rubbish. The car was parked and it has a water damaged differential!!! All they need to do is remove, clean and refix. But they're just interested in replacing everything.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:02   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanic_dude View Post

For about a month, I managed travel with Ola / TFS / Uber

In the meanwhile, I bought a second hand 2010 Alto F8 Lxi from a friend of a friend. I now got the much needed mobility that I was missing for a month now.
A very sensible decision to buy pre-owned, dude .

The radio taxi service is also a good alternative for those who don't want to park their cash in pre-owned cars.

The per km charge of these taxis is just a shade above the per km cost of owning a car(accounting for cost of capital blocked , fuel, maintenance, insurance, and loss on sale)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:14   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The said delivery note is just a personal thing that anybody could knock up. The formal thing seems to be the form 29, which seems to be addressed to the RTO from the seller.
Form 29 including few other forms will be with the buyer and he will submit it to the RTO during the name transfer. The problem here is, these buyers will take their own sweet time to transfer. In most situations, they will repair it and then will look for a buyer which will take time.

When I sold my accident car, the buyer took more than 3 months to transfer because he repaired it and then sold it. So, after a month from sale, I send a copy of "Delivery note" including few other documents to inform RTO that this is no more my car and I have already sold it. Basically, the delivery note is valid for only 15 or 30 days. So, Royal sundaram asked me to update RTO after a month if the name transfer was pending.

Also, make sure to fill the car details and your details(if any) in the forms that you are going to submit to the buyer. Don't just sign on blank Form 28, 29, 30 etc.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 18:54   #419
BHPian

Got a call from the Maruti MSM SA. Estimate is prepared and the final bill will be ready in a couple of days. The RC transfer for the 2010 Alto F8 I bought from a friend, also will happen exactly around the same time.

Keeping my fingers crossed! I would love to see my K10 get repaired back to roadworthiness either by MSM or by some miracle healer. I had made up my mind for a total loss, but I'm having a slow change of heart. Come on, it's a Maruti Alto! Let's Go!
satanic_dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 23:45   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been an eventful day. The car has gone. I bid farewell to it with a tear in my eye: there had so nearly been a reprieve!

In line with advice in prior posts and in the selling-a-car thread, I decided to put right what I had done wrong. I had signed copies of form 29 and 30 without any buyer details.

Two guys came this morning, saying that they were ready to tow the car away. We told them that was fine, but first, I wanted the name and address of the buyer on the forms.

It came very close to my handing back the cash and saying that the deal is off. The buyer told me, sorry, no way, I have contracted to sell the car, he has already sold it on, and I cannot withdraw from the bargain now. As to the forms, I even had the buyer's buyer on the phone to me asking that the buyer details be left blank so that they can fill them in after restoring the car. Gave me all the usual no possible problems spiel.

No possible problems? I had problems after selling my last car even with full buyer details on the forms. I left the registration to them, they did not do it, and we had police at the gate after it was involved in an accident. That buyer also lied to the insurers (he had not transferred that either) that he was working for us. So the nothing-can-possibly-go-wrong pleas fell on my deaf ears.

I also became more and more aware that they seemed really quite keen to acquire the car: the biggest red flag that my selling it has been one big mistake!

Anyway, I have forms 29 and 30 with the "buyer's" (middle man) name, address and signature on them. I also have proof of his ID. Of course, I have the delivery note.

I am sure that they will do what they will do, but we will lodge those forms with RTO ourselves within a few days.

Sad to see the dear Polo go: all too late I made up my mind that, due to the odd angle the car was lying at, major electronics might have been spared. Too late. I had made a deal and I was held to it.

According to them, I am the only one out of fifty sellers that has caused any trouble. So be it. I have to say that, considering that, from their pot of view, I was being a real pain in the 'after-sales-service' and taking up hours of their time, they were quite calm and polite about it. The buyer had to come to our house from some distance to sort the stuff out.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th January 2016 at 23:47.