Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th January 2016, 13:44   #421
BHPian

Default Re: Help! Car submerged in flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadha_r View Post
Has anyone gotten back a car after a substantial repair from chennai floods ? as per popular belief, do you face electrical nags with such cars ?
I would continue to hold off in celebrating with success for some more time. But, at the same time, I would like to tell you that I got my 12 year Old Corolla revived after it stood for 24 hours in Window deep water.

Issues were : (did work with an outside garage)

ECM had to be replaced and reconfigured
Auto A/C module had to be repaired (electronics, basically 5 capacitors)
Starter motor serviced
Radiator fan motor serviced
All electrical sockets and adapters cleaned
Entire Interiors stripped, washed and refitted

Issues pending which I am addressing one by one slowly :

O2 sensor error code
Took it Toyota and they replaced it with a new sensor, error remains. They corrected some electrical connections, but used the old sensor, error remains and I will talk to them to find a solution as now it is still running with the old sensor.
A/C mode changer actuator not working
Did not replace this and currently placed the throw to have direct face throw. Will do this work later as otherwise the A/C and Heater are perfectly fine.
Driver Side power window not working
Think the Motor is gone. Thinking whether to buy it from Toyota or get an aftermarket and get this done
Car's own central locking not working
The actuator is damaged I guess, still not tested fully. But, if has gone, I would probably go in for a Remote Central Locking which will be much cheaper with better Options
Airbag lights on
They say the Airbag module is gone. But, I not very confident with anyone as they would say this today. Tomorrow, the warning light will lit up and they will say spiral cable, then Sensors and then the Airbag itself - So, thinking of a good way to find out the exact cause of this issue. Unfortunately no way to TEST whether the Airbags are OK as well apart from others mentioned above. May be, I will disable the airbags totally, weird, but, not sure.

Most of the above will be corrected very soon except for the Airbag issue. Otherwise, it is running great as ever.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 14:23   #422
BHPian

I am stuck in a fix. The insurance company told me that there is buyer for 40% of there cost of IDV so the remaining amount they will pay me so I had to provide certain documents. Believing them I furnished those documents and now there is no sign of the buyer.
But the insurance fellows are claiming that buyer will come dont worry, we will provide only the remaining 60% of the IDV.
I feel cheated at the end of this long wait. I have no buyer at hand, and getting only <60% of the IDV.
Its too late for me to start running behind a scrap dealer now.

To top it ABT Maruti dealer has cheated Rs6000/- from me for just providing me with work estimate for the car. I wonder how these people can do such thing to people who are already in so much of agony.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 15:08   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
.........insurance fellows are claiming that buyer will come dont worry, we will provide only the remaining 60% of the IDV.
I feel cheated at the end of this long wait. I have no buyer at hand, and getting only <60% of the IDV.......
Get that in writing, or REFUSE part-payment. It's their headache how to make the payout add up to IDV, not yours.

If they insist or threaten, report them to IRDA. Losing your car is bad enough, you shouldn't be cheated out of a fair payment too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th January 2016 at 15:10.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 15:53   #424
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
To top it ABT Maruti dealer has cheated Rs6000/- from me for just providing me with work estimate for the car. I wonder how these people can do such thing to people who are already in so much of agony.
Yes. The total loss is split in the ratio of 60:40 by all insurance companies. BTW what car do you have?

Dealers argue that they pay a rent for the vacant land and it has to be compensated by customers (us) only.

My car was with MPL for 45 days with no signs of any work. When I started putting pressure, they responded with an inflated estimate for 4,85,000/-. Asked them to do only the necessary work required in the car, but they were not in a mood to listen. So I decided to take out the car after paying 6000/-.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 20:52   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes. The total loss is split in the ratio of 60:40 by all insurance companies. BTW what car do you have?

Dealers argue that they pay a rent for the vacant land and it has to be compensated by customers (us) only.
MY first post in this Great forum.

VW Mount Road tried to pass me a quick buck, saying that a parking charge is levied amounting to Rs 500/day. A quick call to VW customer care following a conference call with the Service Manager, along with the executive, made sure that such charges are non-existent.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 15:44   #426
BHPian

Visited ABT Guindy a few minutes ago. The place is still full up to the brim with flood damaged cars. Went to get a couple of small interior plastic trim parts that are missing, in my 2010 Alto that I bought second hand. Also the central locking is not functioning due to a loose door ajar switch somewhere, the cabin light stays on. Realising I won't get a proper response from the MGP store there due to the crowd and confusion, just booked a general service for next weekend when I intend to get these minor issues fixed, and get the old car fitted with internally adjustable ORVMs like the ones in my 2011 K10. Now they are attending to paid services, if booked in advance. I guess you'll need to book in advance for any work.

Currently, I'm in the MSM Guindy lounge, waiting for the SA. The estimate was to be ready more than a week ago, but still no sign. While I completely understand that MASS may not be able to commit a set date due to the sheer volume of cars, just wanted to drop in in person to have a chat. Also hoping to catch a glimpse of my K10 :( I don't intend to make any more noise. They're tired, and so am I.

On the brighter side, the 2010 Alto Lxi has now been transferred to my name, and I'll get the updated comprehensive insurance from Chola MS within a couple of days.

Cheers to new beginnings, repairs, restorations and revivals.

Peace.

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by satanic_dude : 23rd January 2016 at 15:47.
satanic_dude is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 12:45   #427
RGK
Senior - BHPian

In my apartment, an I20 was serviced by a local mechanic. He started the work in the 2nd week of December. Dismantled all relays, cluster, spark plugs, motors etc..

Some of the items, he cleaned and re fitted. AC cleaning, Gas refill, Seats, Mat, Upholstery were done in the workshop. The car has come back in tip-top condition and just waiting for power steering unit (EPS). So far the cost has reached 90k and another 40k max for labour and power steering.

The mechanic says, wheel bearings may give some problems in future and can be attended at that time. I think this was a very decent deal and appreciated the mechanic for his dedicated and sincere work. The core component ECM was serviced for Rs 6,000/-. Will try to post the photos of the car.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 21:34   #428
BHPian

Hi RGK and swami69,

Thanks for your updates about cars being restored. It is indeed very heartening and encouraging to read the increasing number of reports about flood vehicles coming back on the road.

My colleague whose house was ravaged by the floods, said that he had got his Swift, which was submerged up to window level, readied up at AIE MASS Neelankarai, without invoking insurance, and for 78k. This he had done ASAP after the floods, as he was heavily dependant on it and needed it to manage shifting his house. This person had to sleep in the car for some days during the interim, and moved household items with the Swift, as packers and movers were not available on account of Pongal. Most importantly, he also mentioned that the car has not faced any issues post repair, and he has already completed 3000 km after that!!!

Folks, I think we need to take the 'total loss estimates' with a pinch of salt.

Oh, and I could not meet the SA at MSM the other day, and was watching the Ind vs Aus match for a while, in their extremely comfortable customer lounge. I then met the SA I know personally since the K10's first service in 2011. He checked an Excel sheet which had a remark 'estimate preparation' against my vehicle number. I was really surprised at the amount of genuine effort these people are investing in categorising cars, after what looks like a meticulous approach towards checking each car! He asked what I was planning to do with the car, and also mentioned that even 'A' category flood vehicles were getting repaired! Now, I am 99.99% convinced that the K10 can be recovered, also because it has minimal electronics.

Called the SA who's working on the estimate. He said it's almost ready and I should know about it soon. Really hoping to hear more positive news.

Peace.

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by satanic_dude : 25th January 2016 at 21:40.
satanic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:00   #429
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Just updating the photos of the I20, completely restored by a local mechanic. The car is waiting for the power steering unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Car submerged in flood-wp_20160126_001.jpg  

Help! Car submerged in flood-wp_20160126_002.jpg  

Help! Car submerged in flood-wp_20160126_004.jpg  

Help! Car submerged in flood-wp_20160126_008.jpg  

RGK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:18   #430
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

With Service centers running in full steam to repair the flood ravaged cars, the regular service is taking a huge hit. I have been unsuccessful in taking my Ciaz for third service (10K service).

1) Booked thru app, wasn't confirmed by the workshop. Usually they call us back within seconds of booking service on the app.

2) Numbers provided for booking arent picking up the calls

3) Took the car, just to find at 8:30 AM there was a huge queue of cars waiting for service only to find out that they take only 10 cars per day for regular servicing.

Unsuccessfully returned after 3 attempts. While I managed to book my service for tomorrow, from what I heard, it looks like it takes really long time for them to bring up the cars which had water upto dashboard level.

Per the SA, they are able to complete 3-4 flood affected cars a day with 3 technicians working on each car and they have 1000+ cars waiting for flood repair. Their major challenge is getting the spares for flood repairs. If Maruti is struggling to dispense their service, no wonder many cars are declared total loss.

My gut feel, most of these total loss cars, on a normal scenario, could be repaired back to the glory. It is just the volume that makes these guys give exorbitant quote and declare total loss.
sathya_g_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:24   #431
Senior - BHPian

please escalate via email- and put the fault for not servicing on the service centre. if something goes wrong with the car, they may claim that this was due to servicing not done on time, and make you pay
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 18:02   #432
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
My gut feel, most of these total loss cars, on a normal scenario, could be repaired back to the glory. It is just the volume that makes these guys give exorbitant quote and declare total loss.
You are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
please escalate via email- and put the fault for not servicing on the service centre. if something goes wrong with the car, they may claim that this was due to servicing not done on time, and make you pay
Sorry greenhorn. I think no company is in a position to listen to general service issues at this point of time.

Last edited by RGK : 27th January 2016 at 18:30.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:09   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry greenhorn. I think no company is in a position to listen general service issues at this point of time.
Which may be true, but does that mean we should take on open up ourselves to increased risk against manufacturers who will not hesitate to use anything and everything against us?

I'm sure that their customer service should at least have the time to provide a boilerplate response to the effect that their service centres are fully booked, and that they would try to resolve this issue at the earliest.

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th January 2016 at 18:11.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:01   #434
BHPian

Quote:
You are spot on.

Sorry greenhorn. I think no company is in a position to listen to general service issues at this point of time.
Even if they do not listen for various reasons, we need to document that the ASS is not taking our car for general service. This will safeguard us from any future issues where the company may say that it was not serviced on time etc., No verbal business at this point in time.

Swami

UPDATE ON MY COROLLA :

Got the Spark Plugs changed from Toyota
Got the Engine Oil and Oil Filter changed from Toyota
They did one more OBD scan and the AIRBAG was ticked as Good
I do not see the Airbag light anymore and it just behaves as it should. i.e., it come on when the key is turned and after few seconds, it goes off. I think it settled itself or when they were changing the oil filter or something, accidentally fixed the sensor, seal belt pre-tensioner or something. I do not know.

I got a PIRANHA central locking fixed instead of struggling to repair the existing central locking. One good thing is, all the door actuators were working fine and the new Remote unit was fixed and wires were drawn through the doors to use the Existing OE actuators. All good now with this locking system.

Will keep you posted.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 28th January 2016 at 14:06. Reason: Added more content
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:22   #435
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Which may be true, but does that mean we should take on open up ourselves to increased risk against manufacturers who will not hesitate to use anything and everything against us?
<<<Even if they do not listen for various reasons, we need to document that the ASS is not taking our car for general service. This will safeguard us from any future issues where the company may say that it was not serviced on time etc., No verbal business at this point in time.

Swami>>>

Just a notification by email to the dealer about our readiness for service is sufficient.