Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th September 2007, 09:53   #106
BHPian

perhaps OT, but why are we Indians so resigned to our fates that we have to take these individual bail-out measures, like ramps to raise our cars. Imagine the cost and inconvenience if everyone does this. And why? Because the b****y politicians do not bother with maintaining infra-structure.
Already see the huge costs in people having to use inverters, gen-sets, etc, because of power deficiency.
One small step we can take is to never take part in anything where a polotician is glorified or praised, no functions, inaugurations, etc should be had involving politicians. Starved of publicity, they will soon realise they have to perform.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 11:21   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Since we are anyhow OT, you know what? Your genes show through in many of your posts. You are a fundu analyst. I love the way you sneak in a SWOT analysis into everything. I am sure your team loves you too.
Oh you have no idea! This gentleman is an analyst extrodinaire! I experienced some of that during his ICE'ing phase! But that's a good thing. Impulsive is not in shuvc's vocabulary

@filcord: I agree with you dude. It is very frustrating to pay all these taxes, just to watch them fill the politicians' pockets and a bare fraction being used for things like infrastructure development.
As far as not attending their functions is concerned, trust me... they'll find a way to fill the streets. Let's just say they can be very convincing, especially to the people of the lower socio-economic strata...
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 13:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hehe, @Zappo, right now I don't have a team. Doing some operational stuff, hence lotsa peers and virtual teams. I just try to apply the rarest sense (common) as much as I can

Water is now around 8 inches in the locality. Wrt the car, it is just in line with the door sill. There's some water on the floor, which I guess will have to be physically drained.

Maruti guy says dealer workshop flooded with cars today ! He wants to tow tomorrow morning when the water goes down further. Says Royal Sundaram is closed over the weekend, so anyway claim submission will happen on Monday.

It's difficult to co-ordinate since cell network is still almost down. I'm standing with the lappy near a window and posting this, since data card connectivity is limited to one or two places in the house. Same with cell.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 13:29   #109
BHPian

Really sad - it's a horrible thing to happen to a car... To most owners their automobiles are just means of transport, but to an enlightened few, they're more... Sad to see such travesties happen to what is obviously, a much loved car...
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 13:55   #110
Senior - BHPian

Was preparing a checklist for myself - which I will share with the service engineer too.

Comments ? Additions ?
  1. Check ECM
  2. Check Climate Control
  3. Check cigarette lighter
  4. Change engine oil / oil filter
  5. Change brake oil
  6. Change gear oil
  7. Change coolant?
  8. Change power steering fluid?
  9. Change brake pads?
  10. Drain & clean petrol tank ?
  11. Change fuel filter ?
  12. Check & oil wheel bearings
  13. Clean AC
  14. Clean spark plugs
  15. Check security system
  16. Check throttle body
  17. Dry and clean seats
  18. Dry and clean door pads
  19. Decarb (was anyway due)
  20. Anti rust coating (had anyway planned this October)
  21. Polish & Clean - exterior/interior (had anyway planned this October)
  22. Oil seat channels
  23. Check power windows
  24. Check headlight assembly (there's water accumulation in the lights)
  25. General cleaning & oiling mechanicals
  26. General electricals checking
Old 28th September 2007, 14:01   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Was preparing a checklist for myself - which I will share with the service engineer too.

Comments ? Additions ?
  1. Check ECM
  2. Check Climate Control
  3. Check cigarette lighter
  4. Change engine oil / oil filter
  5. Change brake oil
  6. Change gear oil
  7. Change coolant?
  8. .......
  9. .......
  10. Check headlight assembly (there's water accumulation in the lights)
  11. General cleaning & oiling mechanicals
  12. General electricals checking

I pity the service engineer. the poor fellow is going to have a tough time ahead
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 15:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

Brakes - full checkup, not just of the pads
Check Spark plug wires
Check ignition coil (dunno if this was under water)
Change wiper liquid
Check wipers
Check full exhaust, including cat con & muffler
Check clutch & gearbox (since they were under water)
Check horn
By "Clean A/C" I assume you mean check the gas too

These are some things that came to mind. If I think of any more, will let you know. Heck of a list this is!!
Old 28th September 2007, 17:32   #113
BHPian

Have been following this thread for sometime shuvc and there are no words to say how bad i feel about your car. Just make sure the a.s.s are not in too much of a hurry to start up the car.
@Filcord, just give the 'am admi' a batli or two and they are willing to support the politicians all the way. Thankfully we do not have such experiences here in Goa. But it is only a matter of time!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 23:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

@shuvc: any updates?
Old 30th September 2007, 00:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

Ah well @Razor - Murphy seems to have go tired of you and got on my back now.

The mains in our building blew yesterday (Friday) evening. It's almost 30 hrs since. No power yet. CESC is taking their own sweet time. Cell signal is better. Water outside is still around 6 inches. Deep tubewell water seems to have been contaminated. Tap water has an odd smell. We are buying water. Man, I feel marooned !

Ok car updates. Went out of the house for the first time since last Sunday.
- service engineer came and checked today (Sat) morn. Engine oil seemed fine. Hearing of the water level, they were 99% sure ECM had been submerged.
- tow truck came at 2pm
- tow truck refused to start. Had to push it to get it started !
- car towed to workshop peacefully (charged 900/-)
- told Maruti, am in no hurry. Only requirement, car should be delivered in tip top condition.

There were other cars with ECM problems. Seems those are getting insurance cover. The insurance guys will come and give their assesment prob on Wednesday. Monday I've got to get the claim form signed from my org. Tuesday, being 2nd Oct, not sure whether they will work. Service engineer has set a deadline of 15th October for delivery.

Btw, am on the lookout to borrow/hire a spare car to drive these 2 weeks.

Will now preserve lappy power and brace myself. Don't think I'll get any sleep tonight either.
Old 30th September 2007, 00:42   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Have been following this thread for sometime shuvc and there are no words to say how bad i feel about your car. Just make sure the a.s.s are not in too much of a hurry to start up the car.
@Filcord, just give the 'am admi' a batli or two and they are willing to support the politicians all the way. Thankfully we do not have such experiences here in Goa. But it is only a matter of time!
Just make sure the a.s.s are not in too much of a hurry to start up the car. Yup, ask them to take as much time as required but not hurry with anything. Again open plugs and ensure the cylinders are absolutely dry before they crank, oil is aok before they run the car at idle, easiest way to flush is to use petrol, followed by oil in the gearbox.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th September 2007 at 00:44.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 01:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, this is a nightmare. I just hope it never happens again, to anyone. And I hope your car will be back in top condition.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 02:14   #118
Team-BHP Support

OT: You are *buying* water in Kolkata?!! So Kolkata is also going the way of all our southern cities. This is one thing I never thought I will ever have to see. We buy bottled drinking water (20 liter jars), tanker water is used for household works... its a regualr affair here. But in Kolkata...

Last edited by Zappo : 30th September 2007 at 02:16.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 14:33   #119
BHPian

All the best Shuvo Da !! Do keep us posted on the motorshop people 's assessment as well as the insurance wala's assessment of the car damages .Take care of your car ( and yourself too ) !!
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 15:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

All i can say is " ALL THE BEST"
Keep us updated.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote