Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2016, 14:25   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Understanding wheel alignment - negative camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hello all

Hope I am posting in the right thread. I am also trying to understand wheel alignment. Here is my problem

I have a Bolero. The rear wheels has a slight negative camber. The inner side of the tyres are getting worn on both wheels evenly. When I consulted Mahindra ASC they told me that after years of usage the rear leaf springs have become flat. Which I agree because I have also loaded heavy material occasionally on my Bolero.
I think computer wheel alignment guys wont be able to check and adjust camber unless camber bolts are provided. Best way is to get it checked in a manual scale. They can probably guide you, but do try a reputed guy. Classic wheel alignment in Kalyan Nagar is good. Meet the owner if you are going and not the other guys.. Not sure if this helpful..
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:45   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Understanding wheel alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
...no alignment can be /need to be done in rear wheels with fixed axle... Should I fix the problem and then change the tyre or vice versa?
In the prevalent designs for rigid rear axle, there is no provision for rear wheel alignment correction. So, the information you received is correct. If the tire wear is normal, there is no need to worry.

Also, the amount of loading should not result in uneven wear on inner & outer edge of the tire, if other suspension parts are not damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Can the camber of rear wheels of small cars be adjusted? By small cars, I mean hatchbacks like Alto, Wagon R, Spark and the likes... I am facing positive camber on both the rear tyres... he said positive camber can't be adjusted in the rear. And, the only cause for such a problem can be deformation due to accident or damage to hitting a big pothole or boulder.
Small hatchbacks usually come with McPherson Strut in front and Semi-Independent Torsion Beam (sometimes rigid beam) in rear. In this setup, Camber and Castor can't be adjusted in front or rear; only front toe can be adjusted.

Positive camber is usually OK (normally ranges between +30min +/-1deg) for small hatchbacks.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:51   #78

Default Creta - Wheel Alignment

I just completed 5000 km on my Creta, and planning to get Wheel rotation, balancing and alignment, and do this every 5000 km. The service schedule of Creta recommends this every 10k km. If I do this, will there be any warranty issues?

TIA
mahipalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 12:20   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Creta - Wheel Alignment

Nothing to worry about. Go ahead and get it done.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 12:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipalc View Post
I just completed 5000 km on my Creta, and planning to get Wheel rotation, balancing and alignment, and do this every 5000 km. The service schedule of Creta recommends this every 10k km. If I do this, will there be any warranty issues?

TIA
No dont worry at all. It's even better that you getting it done before the recommended schedule. Go ahead and get it done.
SpoiledBratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 20:59   #81
BHPian

Default Alignment way off post suspension overhaul - Swift

TBHP team,

I have an old Swift '10 that has seen better days.
Today, at 60k on the odo, I overhauled my suspension and steering rack.

Parts changed:
1. Steering rack has a new plastic bush. Minor ticking sound on changing direction has been rectified.
2. Jumping rod bushes changed. MGP.
3. New suspension arms (front). MGP.
4. New struts (shockers only - front) Monroe.
5. New shocker mounts and bearings. MGP.

My tyre alignment report is off. I had the car put on the lift @ MRF once again to have it double checked.

1.Rear toe (R) is +5.5mm (should be 0.6 +/- 0.6)
2. Left steering axis inclination SAI is 16* (should be 11*40' +/- 1*)

Kindly advise what the best way to proceed may be.
The car has been in some large potholes, and the parts were changed (listed above) just for the heck of it.

Attached is the alignment report.
P.S. The MRF franchisee owner at Sec 16 NOIDA was rather concerned and got out a rope with a weight etc. I found it rather comical...
Attached Thumbnails
Understanding wheel alignment-inked20180121_203233_li.jpg  

wooka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:15   #82
BHPian

Team, I hate to bump this thread on a day's notice, but I am planning a 1K kms run on the upcoming weekend- would appreciate any help. Sashi has been helping on a different thread, but this request includes additional information.
wooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:18   #83
BHPian

Default Re: Creta - Wheel Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Go ahead and get it done.
Can you please have a look at this report and see if everything is okay with the car's alignment. This was generated yesterday, post changing all four tyres and front and rear shock absorbers on my Zen Estilo.

Understanding wheel alignment-img_20180123_075530.jpg

Thanks.
dailydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 16:45   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. It looks good.... Why do oyu have doubts?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 17:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Yup. It looks good...
Just that in eight years of owning the car, this is only the second time that I have got a printed sheet showing the before-after and target values. My regular alignment place doesn't print reports. Since i had to get new tyres (MRF ZLX), i went to the MRF T&S franchisee this time. Moreover, I wanted to confirm whether the new shocks fitment has had any effect on the values. Thanks for the assurance.
dailydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 19:22   #86

Hello,

I have a Mar-2017 manufactured Maruti S-Cross 1.3 Alpha, bought in Apr-2017.

From pretty early on since acquiring the vehicle, I have not felt comfortable with the ride, particularly in terms of wheel/steering alignment. The car always seemed to veer to either one side, never straight.

I have highlighted this at the 1st and 2nd free services that the vehicle has been through as well as at 2 follow-up visits specifically for the same issue AND 3 iterations of wheel alignment/balancing.
Short summary - i have been reporting this to the service centers repeatedly with no real fix. Each time I get the "check karenge" initially and then "kuch problem nahi, thoda alignment kar diya" response. The car appears to be ok for a while and then I see the issue recurring.

I drive in the city (Hyderabad) 99% of the time - home-office-home, so no rough roads involved here. Driving style - sedate.

I got the wheel alignment done in Dec'17 and again recently in Jan'18 and i see the issue has re-appeared yet again. The steering center and the wheel center seem to be at logger heads - the car veers right currently, when the steering wheel is centered (T)

I am now at my wits end. Could someone please help with suggestions/inputs on a thorough investigation road-map that I can insist on, at the workshop?

Thanks!
mvs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 19:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs07 View Post
The steering center and the wheel center seem to be at logger heads - the car veers right currently, when the steering wheel is centered (T) I am now at my wits end. Could someone please help with suggestions/inputs on a thorough investigation road-map that I can insist on, at the workshop?
Make sure the wheel is absolutely straight and locked (they have steering and brake lock devices) when the techs work on the alignment. You can verify this position yourself before they finalise the settings.

Earlier in Jan '18 I took my car for its very 1st WA at a tyre shop that I visit for a nitrogen topup. After the first attempt the car had a mild left steer when the wheel was straight. Drove right back and had it corrected. I checked the steering wheel position myself before having the lock device put on. Was perfect after that. It is also worth mentioning my ASC never made this amateurish mistake.

Also worth mentioning my Honda City Type II had a WA issue that simply never went away till I had the wheel bearing replaced. It may be worth checking the bearing as well. Yes, I know your car is new but one should expect strange things to happen.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th January 2018 at 19:53.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 01:46   #88
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs07 View Post
Could someone please help with suggestions/inputs on a thorough investigation road-map that I can insist on, at the workshop ?
First of all let me tell you that, you are facing two issues and not one. The issues are premature loss of alignment and an off-centre steering wheel. These are two seperate issues and so I have quoted the two issues individually with the possible ways to diagnose/rectify the same.

Quote:
The car appears to be ok for a while and then I see the issue recurring.
This indicates that the car is not able to hold on to the alignment for long. Diagnostics; check the lower control arms, tie-rods and stabilizer links for cut/worn out bushes or bends even though your car is new. There is a good chance that while the car was delivered/serviced these guys must have hit the underbody, because of which a new car is behaving in this manner. If they don't find any visible damage, ask them to do a proper alignment one time in front of you. Now you just take that report/printout and keep it safe with you. After a month or two, go back to the same place that did your earlier alignment and ask them to redo the alignment. Now take the current report/printout and compare it with the earlier report, if both the reports have one side that has a huge variation before and after alignment, it is that side that has a faulty suspension component for sure.

If you have any past reports just refer them or post them here. Your service center can keep on doing the alignment 10 times but your problem won't be solved until the cause of this premature loss in alignment is rectified.

Quote:
The steering center and the wheel center seem to be at logger heads - the car veers right currently, when the steering wheel is centered (T).
This is what is called as an off-centre steering wheel. Cause of this; a mistake by the guy doing your alignment. He did not lock/hold onto the steering at the dead centre while someone did your alignment i.e. adjustments below the car.

To rectify this, the steering will have to be opened and re-centred. If your car has airbags, only let the service center do this. I had written in detail regarding this here (Honda City : Official Review). The procedure will most probably be the same even for your car, just check with your service center.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote