Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 00:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Swift ZXi/VXi Nippon Security System Question

I have a Maruti Swift VXi. I got the Nippon Security System (NCS-099), which comes as a standard fitment in the ZXi version.

Issue 1 :: Point No 15, on page 5 (NCS-099 owner's manual)
Drive Lock/Unlock Mode
"... Door unlocking can also be programmed by either removing the key from the key cylinder or by turning OFF the IGN. All the doors will unlock automatically"

In my vehicle, this does not work correctly - it only works in one fashion. The doors are unlocked as soon as I switch off the ignition. As per the manual (page 8), the default unlocking mode should have been the removal of the key from the cylinder. When I tried to change the setting using the procedure outlined in 3.4 on page 9, I was not able to get into this mode at all. Four chirp sound confirms the entry into drive unlock mode. But I only get 3 chirp sounds. I tried this on another friend's vehicle and the behaviour was exactly the same as in my vehicle.

Question for Swift ZXi owners
Can the owner of a Swift ZXi (cars without the I-CATS system), confirm the model number of their security system (from the manual).

Can you also confirm when the doors unlock - is it on ignition switch off or is it on key removal from the cylinder? If it is on ignition switch off, can you try changing the setting to make the unlocking happen when you remove the key from the cylinder, by following the procedure in the manual?

Question for Swift VXi owners with MGA Nippon Security System.
Can you confirm the model number of your security system (from the manual). Can you also confirm when the doors unlock - is it on ignition switch off or is it on key removal from the cylinder? If it is on ignition switch off, can you try changing the setting to make the unlocking happen when you remove the key from the cylinder, by following the procedure in the manual?

Issue 2 :: Point No 19, on page 5 (NCS-099 owner's manual)
Radio Frequency Lock Out
"When the vehicle key is in the key cylinder, remote ceases to function."

In my car, the remote continues to work, even if it is in the key cylinder. It only ceases to work, if the key is on the IGN ON position. But according to the manual, the remote should stop working as soon as the key is in the cylinder.

Question for Swift owners.
If you own a Swift ZXi or a VXi with the MGA security system, can you check if the above is working in your car?

I have taken up this issue with Maruti and they in turn with the Nippon support people. But on their first try, they were not able to get it to work as per the manual. They are now trying to get a new control unit to see if it is a problem with the control unit. Any light you guys can throw would be appreciated.

If there are Swift owners from Pune, in whose cars these features work as mentioned, I can have some reference for the Nippon engineers.

-Biju
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th October 2007, 08:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Q1 - In my car the doors unlock only when the key is removed from the cylinder. Also this is a programmable option so you should be able to program it.

Q2 - The remote stops working as soon as it is inserted into the cylinder.

Like you have already mentioned for point 2 there must be a problem with the control unit in your car.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Default Same problem..

@ pjbiju, I also have swift Vxi with Nippon MGA locking. I too am facing the same issue. Tried to go by the manual and program it for unlocking only when the key is removed. But it continues to unlock when the ignition is turned off. I seriously want the first option as its a pain when your car always unlocks when u turn off the ignition on red light stops.

You must have noticed that the room light on the swift Vxi comes on (if its switch is positioned in the middle) as soon as the key is removed. Perhaps the unlocking needs to be done through this circuit, not the ignition one. I think I will call the nippon guys at my home this weekend. They are very prompt in providing service I have heard..
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 10:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have a VDI and Nippon and have the same issue. Keep this thread updated with your findings Akash.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Q1 - In my car the doors unlock only when the key is removed from the cylinder. Also this is a programmable option so you should be able to program it.

Q2 - The remote stops working as soon as it is inserted into the cylinder.
Hi Vikram,

Do you have a ZXi or a VXi? If you have the ZXi, can you let us know the model number of the security system (given on the front page of the owner's manual).

In my car and in another (VXi) car that I tried, we cannot get into the mode for programming the Drive Unlock mode. The Nippon engineers tried changing the cylinder lock itself on my car. Now they have ordered a new control unit. But even when they tried with another control unit they had, it did not work. Since the security system comes as factory fitted in ZXi, it is possible that in the VXi, the connections were not made correctly.

So if I manage to get a VXi where this is working correctly, that would be a great help.
Old 4th October 2007, 13:36   #6
BHPian

I own an Zxi, the very first model. I have tried programming the locks to be opened when ignition switch is off and to open when key is removed from the cylinder. Both ways it worked fine.

I hope you should have some problem with the wiring or difference in model of the system. (I am not in town, so could not get you the model no.)
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 15:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have found a colleague who has a ZXi and the security system works perfectly fine. I have also found a couple of more Swift VXis that have the problems I have outlined. So it seems to be a serious problem in the VXis with the Nippon MGA security system. In reality most people may never bother to change the default settings, in which case they may not discover the problems at all. The Nippon service engineer confirms that the security systems in ZXi and VXi (sold separetely as MGA) are excatly the same. I am having him come over next week to identify the issue. Will keep you all updated.
Old 17th October 2007, 01:38   #8

Hi,

I am about to get my Swift VDi and the dealer is trying to push the nippon security system. When I asked them if the system will roll up all the windows when you do a remote lock, they said that this function is not there with Nippon.

Can someone verify if indeed all the windows get rolled up when you lock the car?

Thanks
CarJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 07:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the Nippon system will not roll up the windows when you lock the car. There is an aftermarket fitment available called the power window relay. This when connected to the system will roll up the windows on locking of the car. It is easily available in all auto accesories shops. It costs anywhere from 1000 - 2000 bucks depending on make and features.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:41   #10

Thanks for the reply.
I am confused now and have few more queries.

Is that something which can be installed along side Nippon. The showroom people are telling it is not possible to install the relay with nippon system.

Do people get it installed from outside generally?
Will doing so void the warranty as some wire cutting may be needed?

Thanks
CarJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 13:07   #11

Default Nippon Sux :(

Exactly the same problem is faced by me on my WagonR Vxi which is 1 year old now.
See this thread :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-locking.html (Problem with WagonR central locking)

I tried programming it but to no use. It still unlocks the door at IGN OFF position. I am thinking of going to the Nippon Authorized service centre in Pune, lets see if they can fix it. Else, I'd simply buy AutoCop.

I wonder why Maruti has tied up with Nippon - and not AutoCop - which I presume is an old hand at these..
paish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 01:01   #12
BANNED

guys..i own a swift zxi...bought in 2005. the doors unlock only after i remove the key from the cylinder and not after i turn off the ignition.
yup, when the key is in the cylinder, the remote doesn't work...this is perfectly fine.
also, when i start the car, all the doors lock after i reach a speed of 20km.
theres another feature...that after unlocking the car, if i dont open any door in under a minute..it automatically lock all the doors.
i think the model maybe different as in zxi, even the boot is opened through the key remote and the central lock switch in the car.
sorry, don't know about the model no. as i have lost the manual and also i had lost the earlier remotes...so got new ones...which come standard in SX4 zxi.

Last edited by sanchits : 18th October 2007 at 01:05. Reason: adding a point
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 06:25   #13
BHPian

I have VXI, with Nippon security system. I do have the same issues. If any one able to find a fix for these issues, please do post it, it may help many of us.

regards,
-manju

Last edited by manjubp : 18th October 2007 at 06:28.
manjubp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 06:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@Carjunki - yes it is a relay that is installed in addition to the Nippon system. Just get your nippon system fitted by the dealer & get the relay fitted from outside. It works just fine.
Old 18th October 2007, 17:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Problem Solved

Finally today, the nippon engineer solved the issue. I had cross checked the security system in a ZXi and the model number of the security system is the same - NCS 099.

There was something wrong with the wiring harness of the VXi at the Key Switch coupler that gets connected to the blue/yellow wire of the security system. I will post the exact technical details soon.

But any of you having this problem, please contact your local Nippon Service Engineer and I can PM you the number of the service engineer in Pune who resolved my problem and now knows exactly what the issue is. So the service engineers can talk to each other and have the issue resolved.