Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:23   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
I bought a high quality MINI PANORAMA convex mirror for 250/- (a pair ) at Unique Car Fashion, 51, KP Tower, 2nd Cross, journalist Colony, JC Road. B'lore-2. Its an improved version and it really works great! Thanks for the heads up on the advantages of this accessory. Its a life saver and a keeper!

::: 21세기 자동차문*를 선도하는 기업 CAREX :::

I-pop WIDE MIRROR

Oops.

Make that link:

카렉스상품관리 > [복사본] 익스테리어 >
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 16:32   #32
BHPian
 
p'arth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 257
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

The fish eye helps remove blind spots of C Pillar primarily. Is there a solution to remove the A Pillar blind spots especially on the driver side when turning right?

A probable solution that I am thinking is to stick the convex mirror inside the car on the opposite A Pillar (front passenger A Pillar). By doing this it will give the driver a view of the blind spot caused by driver side A pillar on his right side. The driver can glance into it while turning right.

Has anyone tried this solution?
p'arth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 08:57   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default

I disagree with the logic for ditching the blind spot mirrors, I have used them on my Safari till recently (some naughty kids have since stolen them), it was a very useful accessory while parking at kerbs, i found it extremely useful in a vehicle like the safari which i must say has limited view of the world outside while parking.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 09:53   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

The reasons given on website is load of crap, and does not have creditbility...the website has their own product to sell (they are offering $5 cash back for removing and opting for their product)...talk about credibility.

While the usefullness of this might be debatable, but certainly not the reasons pointed on the website.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 11:47   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Hi Wolffe, I have them on my car too and I guess yours is a Ford too.

But I have a feeling your stick-ons display exactly the same view as the main ORVMs. I have my stick-ons facing the opposite as yours - the larger rim towards the inside of the car, so that the stick-ons display just the blind spot areas - I adjust them such that the moment something gets too close to disappear in the main ORVM, it shows up in the stick-on.

Isn't it the right way to have them? Comments?
+1 to installing it the way Glass has described.
i find it extremely useful on the right mirror. However, the one on left mirror seems too far and I can hardly make-out anything visible there. Perhaps, i should have installed it on the Inner-rearview mirror the way it is shown on the packaging (see pics below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Wolffe : What's the price of the rotating blind-spot mirror ?
Two weeks ago, I picked up a pair (rotating type) from JC Road area for Rs. 120/-. The non-rotating type was being quoted at 80/-.
Sorry, i didn't note the shop name .. but its location is: 12.957878,77.581286 - Google Maps

The outer-rear-view-mirrors were clicked from driver's viewpoint. The external images were intended to explain the scene.
The stock left-ORVM covers area only upto the Slanted plant. The fisheye does a remarkable job there covering upto the tree between B and C pillars.
The only problem is.. this is a zoomed-in picture. From driver's seat, the image inside the left fish-eye mirror is very small and not as useful as it should've been.

The stock right-ORVM shows the house in the background and stops at a bush next to the tiny shed. No part of the shed is seen.
Yet again, the fish-eye has done a great job in revealing the scene. This one on the right mirror, being very near to the driver, provides excellent vision.

Well worth the investment.
Attached Images
       
scanD is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 12:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,387 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

A few days back I was driving a friend's car with these mirrors installed and found them to be very disturbing, maybe because I am not accustomed to them. I was always having the feeling that something was coming up beside me, only to look and find the fish-eyes. Got very irritating after sometime.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 12:38   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai/Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

Interesting link on a related note....

Disco ball-inspired mirror gets rid of driver's blind spot - CNN
insipid.insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 00:17   #38
BHPian
 
robimahanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BLR/GAU
Posts: 611
Thanked: 1,575 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

I have been using these mirrors for a while now and I must admit the are a boon in the highway esp. when the right ORVM in the laura is not convex.
Signal Mirror Technology Invented by Muth: Perfected by Muth
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 13:18   #39
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 467
Thanked: 426 Times
Default A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc) The original rear view mirror will only show you whats directly behind the car.

But since the convex add-on has a greater degree of coverage, you can actually see a useful part of the road you're entering.

Also handy on highways if you want to change multiple lanes to exit.

Here's a drawing to help you see things better. (Pun intended)

Name:  Convex Mirrors.jpg
Views: 5426
Size:  570.3 KB
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:13   #40
BHPian
 
racer_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc) The original rear view mirror will only show you whats directly behind the car.

But since the convex add-on has a greater degree of coverage, you can actually see a useful part of the road you're entering.

Also handy on highways if you want to change multiple lanes to exit.

Here's a drawing to help you see things better. (Pun intended)

Attachment 956774
I would rather prefer to turn my head or crane my neck out to see the approaching vehicles when I join the roads like this.

The fish-eye mirrors give you a distorted view of oncoming traffic with absolutely no way to estimate their distance and angle correctly. I am certain I will crash if I have to rely on these alone.

Last edited by racer_m : 16th July 2012 at 11:15.
racer_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:44   #41
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc)
Attachment 956774
The illustration is actually wrong.
1)The position of the white car is too late for getting any visual cues to avoid danger. It's almost in the middle of the road. Ideal method would be to slow down before joining the main lane and look out sideways for fast moving traffic through your front window glass.
2) None of the highways(new as well as the relaid ones) have such a design wherein the service lane joins the main lane in such an awkward manner.

Last edited by Daewood : 16th July 2012 at 11:49.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 12:14   #42
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

While users of the add-on mirrors might find them useful, I personally find them very difficult to use- the field of vision is increased, but the image is smaller- you have to concentrate more to make out details. I am more of an old school driver- if you can't make out what is behind you, SLOW DOWN and crane your head to make sure. This is the reason I slow down to 3-4 kms/hr or stop when taking a turn at intersections when I can't see the traffic properly. I drive so sedately that sometimes truck-wallahs overtake me. But my record speaks for itself- zero collisions, scratches, or near misses in over six years of driving. Of course, I have been rear-ended at traffic lights a couple of times, but that was at a standstill.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 12:36   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default Re: A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Here's a drawing to help you see things better. (Pun intended)

Attachment 956774
So you get rid of your blind spots in such a road after you put your car's nose first into the road you are getting into?

The stick-on convex lenses are always a distraction and eats away major portion of your important visibility and it doesnt help you getting a reference as to how far away the following vehicle is, a reason why convex mirrors were never used RVMs even though they offer extended visibility of the following traffic.

The best solution that the manufacturers are moving towards, is this...

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-ford_fiesta_11.jpg

A convex lens on the outside of the conventional SVMs!

Last edited by anachronix : 16th July 2012 at 12:39.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 13:04   #44
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

IMHO, except for points #2 & #3 most of the others pretty lame!

And this seems more like a business gimmick.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:06   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

The dumbest logic I have ever heard of on that website. They are called blind spot mirrors for a reason. If positioned correctly they help you see what is in your blind spot without having to turn your head. I used the rectangular ones consistently in south Africa and Mozambique and found them most useful. It really works
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blind Love, Blind Faith !!! DRAGONLORD 4x4 Vehicles 19 17th April 2010 08:27
Mirror Mirror On The Wall, Which Is The Ugliest Of Them All! LOVE HER(ALD)! The Indian Car Scene 87 26th December 2008 22:12
Eye to Eye contact- an important driving tool! akash_m Street Experiences 23 7th July 2007 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks