Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th October 2007, 12:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Newbie Qs for a 1Lac ODO Indica

hi,

sorry for sounding like a total nubie...

I have an Indica V2 2001 having an ODO reading of 1 Lac + .

1. There seems to be a decrease both in power and FE. Read through net, was considering engine flushing. Is engine flush same as oil flush? I understand that oil flush in older engines is NOT recommended as it leads to deposits flowing in the engine, hence causing damage.

2. In case oil flush is different from engine flush, and the latter is recommended....where to get engine flush done? and how much will it cost? is there is a way that I can do it myself?

3. Use of any engine oil/diesel additives recommended? have used system D, creates more of a problem rather than good.

4. Any other way to improve FE? I've never got more than 16 without AC in Delhi driving conditions.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 12:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Stay away from flush. Its a oil like liquid you add in the engine oil and then run engine for 20 minutes. It can dislodge hardened deposits and lead to seal leakage.
Apart from that you can add STP engine oil additive with engine oil.

As for diesel additives, I use STP sometimes. A whole can goes into full tank of diesel and you need to repeat the process every 2000kms.

But I have seen that if you get diesel from reliable pump, you do not need any additives.

As for your FE and power decrease, I think 16 is great in city driving conditions. About loss of power its most probably the fuel pump. Overhaul costs around 7000rs and Lucas TVS can do it for you.

I would suggest that do not fix if not broken. Your car seems to be running fine, so unless there is serious stuff going on like engine eating oil etc., let it be like this.

If you fill in mineral oil, change every 6000kms or so. I use castrol GTX diesel in my car, and am happy with the oil(its done 85K+ and is a 2001 V2 June model)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 12:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
hi,

1. There seems to be a decrease both in power and FE. Read through net, was considering engine flushing. Is engine flush same as oil flush? I understand that oil flush in older engines is NOT recommended as it leads to deposits flowing in the engine, hence causing damage.

2. In case oil flush is different from engine flush, and the latter is recommended....where to get engine flush done? and how much will it cost? is there is a way that I can do it myself?

3. Use of any engine oil/diesel additives recommended? have used system D, creates more of a problem rather than good.

4. Any other way to improve FE? I've never got more than 16 without AC in Delhi driving conditions.
I think its the fuel pump thats casuing the power and FE loss,get it checked at authorised service centre(delphi in my car)
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 13:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk.... too many questions for you now :-)

1. what is the exact name/# for this STP engine oil and diesel additives? and how much do they cost each? any place to source?

2. I'm on the verge of changing the engine oil. Was considering elf 20W/40 (i think thats whats recommended for Indica right?). How good is that?
Old 19th October 2007, 13:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

1. Forgot the names. But there is just one engine oil additive I have seen in sector 16. There is one from Bahrdahl too, but it says "For engine done less than 50,000kms", so I did not use that
2. Winter is coming, so get some 10W40 or 15W40. I use Castrol GTX Diesel. Mind you, thats not Castrol GTD, its Castrol GTX diesel. I have also used Shell Helix(mineral) 10W40 and that was okay.
Old 19th October 2007, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fuel pump got recently overhauled....i guess thats not the case. or may be its physcological pressure mounted up seeing a recent 1 Lac + ODO
Old 19th October 2007, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Hey Panky, I agree with tsk when he says that if it ain't broken don't bother playing with it! If you're facing problems with power & FE, maybe you should get the car's air & fuel filters checked. BTW, when was the last service done on your car? If it's been long, then I guess changing engine oil and oil filter will also help.
My Indica has run 1L+ Km and I ain't facing any issues. Agreed the power ain't what it used to be when it was new, but I find it just fine. And the FE is amazing, around 17 in city, with good A/C usage.
Hope that helps!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
hi,

16 without AC is good in city. I guess I will suggest to use normal diesel only.

I am not sure what is oil flush, but I went for engine flush at 60K. Results were very good, though no change in fuel efficiency, pick up increased and smooth engine. I used Wurth brand Flush additive, mixed with existing engine oil and left idled for 10 minutes. then removed it, filled another 2 liter of engine oil, idled for 5 minutes, removed it as well. finally filled the engine oil complete so it costs, Wurth fluid (~350 Rs)+2 ltr Engine Oil.

I am not using engine additive at all.

Today I measured my FE as 17, no diesel additive, no engine oil additive. Normal diesel. Mine is 2002 89K Km Indica DLS
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 12:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

given the method as rajiv suggested above, do you guys think if oil flush would help, i mean adding flush and then subsequetly using that 2 Lt oil and then draining it out. I think it should work, wotsay?
Old 20th October 2007, 13:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

thats engine flush. Thats what I did at 80K in my indica. But then I did flushing at 50K too. If you have never used a flush before, then doing your first at 100,000 is not a good idea.
Only thing I can suggest is use a high detergent engine oil like Chevron Delo mineral, and drain it after 4K, and subsequently use it for 6K
Old 20th October 2007, 14:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
thats engine flush.

Only thing I can suggest is use a high detergent engine oil like Chevron Delo mineral, and drain it after 4K, and subsequently use it for 6K

tanveer, in that case what is oil flush? I thought the method rajiv told was oil flush. I think I had an engine flush at around 50K (TASC did that)

Chevron Delo Mineral? where to get it from?
Old 21st October 2007, 01:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Oil flush and engine flush are the same thing. You add something to engine oil. This something is a very strong detergent.
Since you havent done a flush for 50K kms now, the results may be unpredictable.
As for Chevron Delo, try looking in Khan market for chevron oils.
Even the Castrol GTD is good has its a high detergent oil.
Add STP engine oil additive to the oil.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys: Update time, I went around to some shops searching for Chevron Delo as tanveer suggested, but no luck. in the process, I laid my hands on Mobil (Delvac:I think -CI standards Rs. 180/lt). the guy told me no need to add engine oil additive and suggested me not to go in for a flush. Changed deisel filters to Delphi-TVS and i can feel the difference in power.

one more suggestion, i replaced the air filter with a local one, due to non availability. any good filters there, K&N universal is not meant for indica am told.
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

1. Good oil, one of the best mineral oils there is
2. Delphi filters are better and OEM. I always use Delphi
3. Try getting an OEM filter. Local brands cannot be trusted. You can get a K&N stock replacement filter if you want, but in our dusty conditions I do not recommend those. Even K&N website says "Use a shroud when used in dusty conditions".
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Good oil, one of the best mineral oils there is
Ahh! Thanks Tanveer....I was just wondering if I made a right choice.