Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st October 2007, 21:28   #1
zma
BHPian

Unhappy accents tyre cracked after running 8kms

accents tyre got craked after running 8 kms.it happend after the service guys shuffled the tyres.the cracked tyre was the reserve tyre.the make of the tyre is bridgestone the tyre dealer says the tyre is oficially 2 years old so no warranty or anything.............
zma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 23:32   #2
BHPian

Very Unheard for a spare tyre to go this way, But then could have been a defect right from the start, Did you ever rotate it earlier prior to this..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 23:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Or could be that the defective tyre was placed in your car byt he dealer from another customer's car. Can you give us some pictures & more details please?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 23:54   #4
BHPian

Definitely defective, my dad's accent has been running for 7 years not with the same bridgestone tyres without any trouble.
jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 00:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Once my ford ikons brand spare new tyre(never used) was changed at Shakti Ford in service of the car i realised when my trye was flat and i had to change it and saw a bent rim and cracked tyre i was so pis##d off after that every service i used to check the boot for my belongings
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

I still have as a spare in my Safari of '98 vintage the factory provided Kumho tyre. Still as good as new as it has been sparingly used.

Only a year back I replaced the other 4 Kumhos with J&K 4x4. Never heard of spare cracking. Known to happen in very extreme conditons..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Must have been a defective piece. My bridgestone S322 are running smoothly since the last 15K kms with only one puncture till date.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Or could be that the defective tyre was placed in your car byt he dealer from another customer's car.
This is a possibility that should not be ruled out.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

I recently got my first flat in My 2005 Accent GLE after almost 2 years. I was in Mussoorie in July and had to get it changed. The spare ( Bridgestone S322 175 Stock ) was new and never run.

Did not have any problem.

Maybe the Dealer / Service station is conning you !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:01   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zma View Post
accents tyre got craked after running 8 kms.it happend after the service guys shuffled the tyres.the cracked tyre was the reserve tyre.the make of the tyre is bridgestone the tyre dealer says the tyre is oficially 2 years old so no warranty or anything.............
What exactly do you mean by "cracked' and is your tyre tube type or tubeless? Did you observe small cracks on the sidewall of the tyre without any other signs of damage? That usually does happen when a tyre is very old or has done a lot of running. But it should not have happened in a tyre that is just 2 years old and has not done much running. In this situation you are advised to change the tyre as the cracks may widen with a potential possibility of tyre burst. But the tyre should be usable in an emergency as long as you do not hit very high speeds.

Or are you talking of a major cut in the tyre tread or sidewall that makes the tyre unusable? This could have happened if the service guys hit a stone or a kerb with that tyre, before delivering the car to you. I suggest you inspect the damage very closely to see if any repair work was done on the tyre without your knowledge.

Last edited by rks : 22nd October 2007 at 16:04.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:48   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Or are you talking of a major cut in the tyre tread or sidewall that makes the tyre unusable? This could have happened if the service guys hit a stone or a kerb with that tyre, before delivering the car to you. I suggest you inspect the damage very closely to see if any repair work was done on the tyre without your knowledge.
Another possibility is that the tyre had a puncture or a valve leak and was run on very low pressure or run flat for some distance. If run flat for more than 1/2 km, the chances are that the tyre will become damaged and unusuable.

Also, is the tyre 2 years old according to the date stamp on the tyre? Or is it that the tyre was purchased 2 years back? In the latter case, the date stamp should also be checked. If the tyre is very old according to date stamp then the rubber could become brittle and fail, especially if it has not been regularly used.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

DO check the mfg date on your other tyres. Are they all 2 years old?
How old is the car?
Why were tyres being shuffled at 8 kms mileage?

Very likely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Or could be that the defective tyre was placed in your car byt he dealer from another customer's car.

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd October 2007 at 17:08.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 22:56   #13
zma
BHPian

Default got discounted

the tyre dealer said ,noting to do with it.he offered a 700rs discount on the purchase of new tyre.
zma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 18:52   #14
BHPian

Talking

i spotted a tire crack on the side wall about 1 cm length.
tire make MRF running since 1 and half years covered approximately 20k kms.
im planning to exchange soon.dealer exchanges these tires also ??
yasw_anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 20:18   #15
BHPian

So the spare cracked after being unused for two years? What pressure was it kept at?
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote