Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th October 2010, 21:48   #136
BHPian

Default HID with Projectors for Accent

Hello Guys

Do we have anyone on the forum who has a working setup of HID with Projectors on an Accent..

Regards

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 06:14   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
totally depends on budget ! two ways
1) get the entire headlamp assembly for i10 that have projectors fitted and hid . more expensive . more convenient .
I'm gonna stay away for while.

[quote]
2) retro fit projectors in your existing headlamps . you can choose from wide variety of projectors like from Hella / other aftermarket makers and can also use branded HID kits like philips / osram/ hella . cheapest ones with hid can be retrofitted for under rs 6600 while good quality projectors with good output and chinese hid kit will cost approx 8000-8500 .
[quote]
Hi Nobody.

Consider that I'm going to use Hella Projectors with Philips HID Kits. Do you comment on this combination. Have someone you know (SOMEBODY )any your friends used this setup for any car?

Quote:
always try to test the projectors output on road as they may look very good with angel eyes and etc but if they cant throw good light on road it serves no purpose .
+1to what sarkar said
Thanks mate for this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
@camon:If retrofitting/buying projector headlamps make sure its RHD type. If you end up with the wrong type it can make life harder for you and for the oncoming traffic. And remember to get projector with good quality optics from known or certified manufacturers.
Hi Sankar,

May I know what is meant RHD type.
And I Hope projectors from Hella should be from good quality. Even I heard and read many guys installing it in their car.

Regards,
Camon
camon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 08:22   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
May I know what is meant RHD type.
And I Hope projectors from Hella should be from good quality. Even I heard and read many guys installing it in their car.

Regards,
Camon
RHD is Right Hand Drive.
If you're sourcing projector retrofit kits from Left Hand Drive (LHD) countries you will get LHD kits. The beam cut off pattern for RHD and LHD is different, its like \__ and __/ for RHD and LHD respectively. You have to ask the seller if they have RHD projector or if they can get you one.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 10:34   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
RHD is Right Hand Drive.
If you're sourcing projector retrofit kits from Left Hand Drive (LHD) countries you will get LHD kits. The beam cut off pattern for RHD and LHD is different, its like \__ and __/ for RHD and LHD respectively. You have to ask the seller if they have RHD projector or if they can get you one.

Very very valid point that every one pays little care on this tip. There are accessory shops selling after market retro fit projectors, but none of them were clearly mentioned that which meant for what When I raised the same question, they were looking at me like aliens and consoling me by stating that it can be used for both. I dont want to educate them at my expense nor want to argue on this so I just gave up the idea of convincing them what funda is RHD/LHD.

I've got a pair of bi xenon projectors from HK last year and even that too not having anything stated.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

One ballast of HID kit is not working so is it possible to get only ballast?

If yes from where pls?

Thanks in advance.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

With refer to below post herewith find photo of the ballast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Guys,

One ballast of HID kit is not working so is it possible to get only ballast?

If yes from where pls?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
HID Xenon-ballast.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2010, 15:34   #142
BHPian

Quote:
With refer to below post herewith find photo of the ballast.
@Mugen_Power, getting hella spare ballast is not that easy, contact BMW/Merc *** for this.

If you can bring it from US try Amazon for a cheaper option as carry-onn-baggage.

Here's the link:
Amazon.com: Hella/Philips HID XENON Replacement ballast for D2S D2R LVQ212 Gen3: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

Name:  51A0pwwXbAL._SS400_.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  23.6 KB

As a last resort, I would say there's nothing wrong in trying other 35W ballasts if you can alter the sockets with the old one.

Last edited by sajjt : 3rd November 2010 at 15:35.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:32   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
@Mugen_Power, getting hella spare ballast is not that easy, contact BMW/Merc *** for this.

If you can bring it from US try Amazon for a cheaper option as carry-onn-baggage.

Here's the link:
Amazon.com: Hella/Philips HID XENON Replacement ballast for D2S D2R LVQ212 Gen3: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

Attachment 448414

As a last resort, I would say there's nothing wrong in trying other 35W ballasts if you can alter the sockets with the old one.
Thanks for your above reply Sajjt.

I do not have sockets as per above photo. It is as per below photo.
HIDs are bought before 4 years back and one Ballast went kaput and couldn't find at that time.

BTW are your on XBHP also?
Attached Thumbnails
HID Xenon-img2010110300001.jpg  

Old 4th November 2010, 14:27   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your above reply Sajjt.

I do not have sockets as per above photo. It is as per below photo.
HIDs are bought before 4 years back and one Ballast went kaput and couldn't find at that time.

BTW are your on XBHP also?
You can try the normal ballasts too, Get help from an auto electrician to mod the sockets by soldering and make it weather proof by applying RTV sealant on the joints.

Yes its me
Old 6th November 2010, 19:15   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
You can try the normal ballasts too, Get help from an auto electrician to mod the sockets by soldering and make it weather proof by applying RTV sealant on the joints.

Yes its me
So it means 35W Philips Ballast will work.?
Old 7th November 2010, 23:25   #146

I have a Punto 1.3 Multijet and I also wanted to do modifications like projector headlamp with white LED strip like in AUDI. What would be the cost and I heard from FIAT personal that ordinary HID's cant be fitted due to technical issues afterwards. Can anyone advise on this??
romsi_rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 09:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
So it means 35W Philips Ballast will work.?
Definitely, if you can alter the sockets to fit into the existing bulb.
Old 30th July 2011, 16:51   #148
Senior - BHPian

Default Using HID lamps on cars with Halogen bulbs

Team,

A few questions :

1 - Can HID lamps be used in cars that come with Halogen Bulbs as OE
2- If Yes,can they be used inside the OE reflectors or does this OE set up need mods?
3- We all know that bulbs need to be replaced ,what about HID kits?
4- Do High and Low beams work the same way as in OE bulbs?
5- Which ones to go for for highway use ? I know Philips has 6000K in India ..3000k .... ( what do these mean ? )
6- I have read about HID needing lesser power ,but I read about some of us having battery problems after HIDs.

If there isnt any thread already ,how about making this the HID Basics thread?

Cheers,

Satya
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 17:38   #149
BHPian

Default Re: Using HID lamps on cars with Halogen bulbs

Satya I think I can help here

1 - Can HID lamps be used in cars that come with Halogen Bulbs as OE

- Yes.

2- If Yes,can they be used inside the OE reflectors or does this OE set up need mods?

- No mods are required, it's a straight plug and play, but may require adjustment of beam.

3- We all know that bulbs need to be replaced ,what about HID kits?

- HID kits have multiple parts, mainly comprising of bulb and Ballast+Igniter. They have much longer running life, but yes, any one of them can replaced separately if the need arises.

4- Do High and Low beams work the same way as in OE bulbs?

- In H4 bulbs where Hi/Lo are in a single bulb, an H4 HID shifts the single arc up/down or back and fro for a similar light throw.

5- Which ones to go for for highway use ? I know Philips has 6000K in India ..3000k .... ( what do these mean ? )

- These are colour temperature. The lower the value the yeloower the colour of light. As a rule of thumb 4200K give the best visibility, and anything above 6000K is too blue to be practical. A higher Kelvin mean more strain from oncoming traffic.

6- I have read about HID needing lesser power ,but I read about some of us having battery problems after HIDs.

- HID comes in 35W and 55W. They bound to have lesser power requirements, but with a weak battery, the inital current draw requirement can pose a problem.

Hope this helps
rahuldevnath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 19:57   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Using HID lamps on cars with Halogen bulbs

I think Rahul got all the answers for you. Since you are planning to go for HIDs in your reflector headlights, you will need to align it properly. A lot of scattering will be there since you are using reflector type of headlights. HIDs are basically meant to be used with projectors. Get the alignment done properly by some experienced installer.

4300k HIDs are the best and they offer the best visibility range. 3000k will be yellow in color (like fog lights). 4300k HIDs will be yellow with a tinge of white light.

Most shops offer HID kits and no replacement bulbs. But nowadays they have started offering replacement HIDs. If you dont find them here, go online and get them. Pretty reasonable options.

High/low beam works differently here. The arc pushes a metal sheet. The light will be instant since you dont have any filaments.

HID's will last longer. I have been using it for more than 1.5 years now.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote