Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th April 2010, 09:55   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
hi guys, i have heard that HID's are not successful on highways, is that true ?? if some one who is a frequent traveler on highways, and has HID's, please clarify.
I am a frequent highway traveller. I find the HID lights better than stock halogens.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:08   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me contribute my bit:

1. Unless you have projectors HIDs are permitted only on low beam. See the Corolla Altis with HID on low beam and Halogen on high beam.

2. If you retrofit having HIDs on low beam only is not possible. You have two options

Single discharge with an electromechanical device for moving between low and high beam.
Bi_Xenon with two discharge zones.

In the former the contraption for moving the lamp is known to fail quite often. In the latter when you switch beams for a fraction of a second the intensity drops until the discharge stabilizes.

Really a Hobson's choice. I think I will favour the latter.

I think HIDs may become fully legal some time in the not too distant future.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 15:29   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Update from Philips Dealer, Bangalore

Hey folks, I got some update on Philips HID from the distributor in JC Road, Bangalore.The landline number from the website is not working.The contact number is 09844166794 and I believe his name is Sunil.As per him, the HID costs 8350/- for Swift! And fitting would cost another 300 - 400 and could be done in JC road from some shops.It comes with a 3 month replacement warranty and you could buy single bulbs if one of them conks off for half the price!Also this is a Bi-Xenon HID as per him -- so this is a better option.I am anyway checking with some contacts in Muscat for finding the prices.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 15:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys,

Anyone could give more info on P4 HIDs? Are those available in Bangalore?

Also is the price of Philips HID @ 9.5K still or some reduction is there?

I am looking to have a light upgrade for my swift. Its either going to be a pair of Hella Rallye Series or a HID kit.

Your thoughts please?
Hi,

I am using the P4 HID 50W 6000K kit in my Swift. They are good and seem to do their job. However, I would still recommend Philips and I myself would be changing to them as for some reason I find that the light and colour temperature of the Philips 6000K kit much better than the P4 kit.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 19:30   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi,

I am using the P4 HID 50W 6000K kit in my Swift. They are good and seem to do their job. However, I would still recommend Philips and I myself would be changing to them as for some reason I find that the light and colour temperature of the Philips 6000K kit much better than the P4 kit.
if you want better visibility forget 6000k. i have philips 6000k on my innova autogauge 4300k on my accord. the 4300k is much, much better. and it irritates other drivers on the road less, but still looks very good.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 22:35   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
if you want better visibility forget 6000k. i have philips 6000k on my innova autogauge 4300k on my accord. the 4300k is much, much better. and it irritates other drivers on the road less, but still looks very good.
I like shades closer to stock halogens as they provide better vision and are comfortable for oncoming traffic. Philips 6000k has a better shade compared to unbranded 6000k shades.

For comparison we have 8000k fake Siemens HID kit installed in our Maruti 800, Compared to the Philips 6000k in the Punto they are all show no go and the light scatters too much to blind oncoming traffic.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 23:20   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi,

What was the price of P4 HID?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 21:48   #83
BHPian

Default HID myth busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me contribute my bit:
I think HIDs may become fully legal some time in the not too distant future.
I was very much interested in installing HIDs for my Manza. After reading this article, I just dropped the idea.
rule breaker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 00:55   #84
BHPian

My cousin has HID's in his fogs(swift) I'm not sure which HID's they are and how many K, but just a query,Since he's moving and wont need them anymore, Can I replace the fogs lamps of my Hyundai Getz(type 1, 2004) with them?
thanks in advance
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 07:46   #85
BHPian

I have been searching the net for HID. See following link. Price is as little as 3200/-

'HID' < All - Shop in the US from India @ 20North=

Will these be any good?? Reviews on website are good though.
vickey_jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 04:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickey_jai View Post
I have been searching the net for HID. See following link. Price is as little as 3200/-

'HID' < All - Shop in the US from India @ 20North=

Will these be any good?? Reviews on website are good though.
Have read this line 'The reviews given here are aggregated from shopping websites across the internet.'
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 04:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
My cousin has HID's in his fogs(swift) I'm not sure which HID's they are and how many K, but just a query,Since he's moving and wont need them anymore, Can I replace the fogs lamps of my Hyundai Getz(type 1, 2004) with them?
thanks in advance
you'll need those HID Bulbs (if they are same) + ballast from his car to be able to install them on your car.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am planning to change first to a projector setup and then to 4300K Phillips HIDs in headlights & fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What was the price of P4 HID?
I paid around 12k about a year and a half back when Philips were selling their kits for 20k!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule breaker View Post
I was very much interested in installing HIDs for my Manza. After reading this article, I just dropped the idea.
Agreed. But then why does a reputed company like Philips make aftermarket HID kits for all cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
thanks in advance
It is possible if the bulbs are of size H8.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:40   #89
BHPian

Default HID Autogauge for Innova

Quote:
i have philips 6000k on my innova autogauge 4300k on my accord. the 4300k is much, much better
Akshay, I agree with you. I heard this from my other friends too, who used higher K than 4300 in their HID kits. Yellowish white light is always better than blueish or crystal whites.

BTW, Do you get 4.3K Autogauge for Innova too? I'd like to use these for short beam (H1) and fog lights (HB4). I have got projector set-up installed already that separated low and high beam bulbs with H1 set each. Appreciate, if you could share the source and price for this Autogauage kit. TIA!

Safe and Happy Driving,
KK
kishoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:49   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
Akshay, I agree with you. I heard this from my other friends too, who used higher K than 4300 in their HID kits. Yellowish white light is always better than blueish or crystal whites.

BTW, Do you get 4.3K Autogauge for Innova too? I'd like to use these for short beam (H1) and fog lights (HB4). I have got projector set-up installed already that separated low and high beam bulbs with H1 set each. Appreciate, if you could share the source and price for this Autogauage kit. TIA!

Safe and Happy Driving,
KK
I use Autogauge 4300k in my projectors(Single bulbs). I got it for around 7.5k
You can check my thread which has a demo video showing it's output.
4300k is the best HIDs with max output when compared to the others.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote