Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th April 2010, 12:09   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I often experience lower back and neck pain after long drives. In fact I was down on bed for 3-4 days after driving non-stop for 15-16 hrs during my recent Maharashtra trip. I own a Swift, and even the Swift seats are not supportive for my 6'2" stature. So I use a small cushion for the lower back that acts as lumbar support, and helps relieve the pain somewhat. For the neck, I've neck rests but practically they are of no use. I've to place another small cushion behind the neck after 4-5 hrs of driving.
The bottom line of all orthopedic problems is the way we use our body. I have intravertibral disk bulge for the last 10-12 years which I acquired in a bike accident. Maintaining fitness levels and doing the right exercises has helped me avoid surgery and let me ride bikes.
Correct posture helps. The right support for lower lumbar is very required. Driving for long periods without breaks is an unhealthy practice.
You can look up an orthopedic or a physiotherapist for the right exercises.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 14:52   #182
Senior - BHPian

@tsk
Buddy I would really appreciate that.

Will take an appointment and try to visit soon.

BTW the problem is more pronounced when I drive the Safari which sadly has lumbar support.
When I was on the Desert Storm I drove a total of 3200 kms approx and that too on stock gypsy seats. Touchwood I had no problem. Also when I drive my Optra or the CJ3B jeep no issues whatsoever. The problem only becomes unbearable on the 2.2 DiCOR, which I love to drive the most. I don't know what to do.

Due to this I was/ am contemplating to trade the safari for the Civic or something more comfortable.

Last edited by harjeev : 7th April 2010 at 15:05.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:07   #183
Team-BHP Support

The safari has comfortable seats but the lumbar support is more suitable to large framed people. First you try to adjust the lumber support and see what helps.
Otherwise, you can try the car back support pillow. I am also planning to get one soon. Its wedge shaped, and gives soft support for lower back.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 12:10   #184
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Has any Punto owner experienced back pains? Any particular position I should slot the driving seat into? Getting pains when I drive. Note that I am able to drive Pulsar for 3 hours at a stretch without any problems. I am around 5ft 8 in tall. This is first time I am driving car.

Last edited by download2live : 25th April 2010 at 12:11. Reason: Spelling
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 13:46   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Has any Punto owner experienced back pains? Any particular position I should slot the driving seat into? Getting pains when I drive. Note that I am able to drive Pulsar for 3 hours at a stretch without any problems. I am around 5ft 8 in tall. This is first time I am driving car.
Since this is the first time your are driving the car, I feel improper position is the mean reason for back & shoulder pain.

1.) Position your seat so that you dont need to stretch/move ahead to change gears.
2.) Ensure that during normal driving, your have proper head/neck support..

I have not driven a punto, is that a low slung car?

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 25th April 2010 at 13:47. Reason: k
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 14:41   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I have not driven a punto, is that a low slung car?
Low slung.....Ummmmm......Dont really know. (This is my first car). I guess experts here will have to answer if its in the low slung category.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 14:54   #187
BHPian

Ever since i started to drive the i10, i have started to have back pains . Its more of a spot pain and always comes back since am driving the i10 regularly.

I used to drive NHC and never had a back pain due to driving.

Is there a suspension difference between i10 and NHC. I thought both of the suspensions are of same type.

I have purchased a back support system and its provides a good support and helps to correct posture. As ofnow, am adjusting with this.
Name:  backcaresr.gif
Views: 955
Size:  16.3 KB

Last edited by ikoneer : 25th April 2010 at 14:55.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 17:22   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Ever since i started to drive the i10, i have started to have back pains . Its more of a spot pain and always comes back since am driving the i10 regularly.

I used to drive NHC and never had a back pain due to driving.

Is there a suspension difference between i10 and NHC. I thought both of the suspensions are of same type.

I have purchased a back support system and its provides a good support and helps to correct posture. As ofnow, am adjusting with this.
Attachment 337485
looks good buddy!!!
What is this called. Can you provide us with the name of the manufacturer and/or phone numbers, if any!!!
thanks
Old 29th April 2010, 16:21   #189
BHPian

Back pain could be for several reasons. There may be a history behind it. I'm no expert. Just wanted to share my own experience. I started getting back pain. Initially I thought age must be catching up on me . Then I noticed the pain goes away sometimes especially when I'm on vacation. So I started noting how/where I seat while driving/watching TV at home/working in office, etc.. Tried experimenting with different posture as well as different seat. My suspicion fell on the chair I use in office, this seems most obvious as that is where I spend most of my time. Got myself a new chair. Not been having back problem ever since. This may not be the cause for you, but its worth checking out.
kaynmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 16:50   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

harjeev dada,

while lumbar support and posture correction takes care of the root cause - there are other systems to take care of your pain as it occurs - like Sujok. Drop me a sms whenever you're over at Gurgaon
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:08   #191
BHPian

I never had back pain while driving the Corsa or the Indica for the last 7-8 years. But now it was different with the i20. I could manage only for about 2 hours of city driving at a stretch and then it would shoot up.

I have not bought any support or anything but instead started my old habit of swimming regularly and the pain seems to have vanished. Now I'm able to drive for the entire day (especially on weekend shopping spree's) and not a single moment of pain.

There are a lot of people who have told me this as well that swimming helps a lot for back problems!

Anybody who can vouch for it here as well?
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:26   #192
BHPian

Default My experience

Gautam I agree with you about swimming.

Last Feb i had lower back pain(I work in IT and drive to work 50 minutes each way) so I do sit a lot, even though I am pretty active physically.

A good orthopaedician asked me to take 15 days complete bed rest and then taught me a few exercises(almost yoga), no other medication or physiotherapy(mostly recommended by many hospitals to make money) was recommended.
The doctor also told me :
  • to do yoga
  • to swim as much as possible
  • avoid sitting continuously(Sitting adds 17 times more pressure on your lower back than standing)
  • avoid too much exercise at gym( I am 40yrs)
  • Don't ride a bike
Its over 15 months(I have gone for a couple of long drives - 1000 kms in 3 days) and I have not got the back pain, its the occassional pain which goes away in a few hours.

I don't know swimming but I go to the pool witha plastic ball(football sized) hold it under water and beat my legs.

Swimming,Walking and Yoga is the permanenet cure for back pain the doctor told. Unless one is is in their 20's its not easy to make your lower back muscle stronger by going to gym.
DoNotHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

How many of us are inflicted with lower back pain ? I guess quite a few of us.

Back pain was the single reason why I sold my Lancer which I had gotten built so passionately. Low seating was the problem. I bought a Swift & 80% of the problem was solved, then a bought the Grand Vitara & there was nearly never a problem, infact after I got the Vitara I went on my first highway trip in 10 years.It served me well.

Now I have the Pajero & it is very comfortable for my back pain. The main culprit I think is lumbar support or badly made after market seat covers.

Making a comfortable chair is a science. I made furniture for a long long time so I know. Car seats are no different.

The only reason I never go rallying - is because my back cannot take the harshness of the drive. The main culprit is bad posture, straining the back when we are younger, picking up heavy weights the "wrong way"....I could go on & on.

My back pain has improved enough to make me mobile once again (just so you know I was bedridden for 3 months at one point of time) Could not stand for more than 10 minutes at a strech, could not climb stairs etc etc. Slipped disc is what I have, and ofcourse sheer neglect of body posture when I was younger.

Gentlemen take care of your back while you still can - it can be a crippling ailment. Enough said.

From a fellow sufferer ! !:-(
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 11:59   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
How many of us are inflicted with lower back pain ? I guess quite a few of us.

Back pain was the single reason why I sold my Lancer which I had gotten built so passionately. Low seating was the problem. I bought a Swift & 80% of the problem was solved, then a bought the Grand Vitara & there was nearly never a problem, infact after I got the Vitara I went on my first highway trip in 10 years.It served me well.

Now I have the Pajero & it is very comfortable for my back pain. The main culprit I think is lumbar support or badly made after market seat covers.

Making a comfortable chair is a science. I made furniture for a long long time so I know. Car seats are no different.

The only reason I never go rallying - is because my back cannot take the harshness of the drive. The main culprit is bad posture, straining the back when we are younger, picking up heavy weights the "wrong way"....I could go on & on.

My back pain has improved enough to make me mobile once again (just so you know I was bedridden for 3 months at one point of time) Could not stand for more than 10 minutes at a strech, could not climb stairs etc etc. Slipped disc is what I have, and ofcourse sheer neglect of body posture when I was younger.

Gentlemen take care of your back while you still can - it can be a crippling ailment. Enough said.

From a fellow sufferer ! !:-(
Hey Ricky
its really good to hear that your back is better now.
As you must have read I was/ and am suffering from back pain when I drive.
The problem is more pronounced when i drive my Safari and the reason I think are the front two seats. So I am thinking of replacing them with the toyota innova seats which I believe would be much better made and fabricated.
Also I would request you to please refer me a good orthopedic whom I can consult with regards to my situation.
I have PMed you my email.
Cheers
Harjeev
Old 5th May 2010, 09:52   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Ricky
its really good to hear that your back is better now.
As you must have read I was/ and am suffering from back pain when I drive.
The problem is more pronounced when i drive my Safari and the reason I think are the front two seats. So I am thinking of replacing them with the toyota innova seats which I believe would be much better made and fabricated.
Also I would request you to please refer me a good orthopedic whom I can consult with regards to my situation.
I have PMed you my email.
Cheers
Harjeev
Harjeev

I have answered your mail.

I just looked at all the jeeps you own, it is my understanding that none of them come with great ride quality. That being the single reason why I have not gotten myself one of those Hyderabad "Wranglers"

But I guess you'd know that yourself. The only cure is excercise tailored for your back & yoga specific "asanaas"

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote