Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th September 2011, 08:08   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Severe back pain and driving!

@kratos11, anxiety can also be a reason for a pain in the neck. I feel greater anxiety when driving a car than when riding a bike. When anxiety level increases I get this pain in the neck and shoulder area even when relaxing at home. I am not saying that you have anxiety, but well this is a factor worth considering.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 00:55   #227
BHPian

Hi everybody
Mr Udai Bisht(think a bhp member) suggested i keep a cushion to support the back.
worked wonders finished a 6000 kms bombay leh bombay solo drive with no back problems.
last year did 3000 kms bombay gurgaon bombay without a cushion and was bed ridden for 2/3 days and had to to call a masseur before i could stand straight.
rgds
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 15:32   #228
Senior - BHPian

Dear Members,
I am at 62. I drive a lot. I do drive high way drive about 1000k in 24 hours. So for thank God, no such issues like back pain or stiff neck. I have the habit of sitting straight always. The same sit straight posture I apply in car as well as in computer too.Seems the sitting posture may also matter for the back pain etc.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 13:28   #229
BHPian

I figured out that if i sleep in a curled position, knees pulled in towards the belly the pain subsides.
freak1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:30   #230
BHPian

Anyone fitted a aftermarket seat or one from Safari or Indigo in a Swift? Recaro has some good seats for people with backpain or damaged spine. But I think these are not available in India.
RECARO: ORTHOPAD

I drive about 70KM/day and the road is not in great condition. Also 50% of the distance is in heavy traffic. Recently I started having low back pain. X-rays did not reveal much problem. But doctor advised me stop driving for some time or drive a SUV which is not possible at the moment (I drive a Swift).
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 19:03   #231
BHPian

After years of pain and starting this thread in 2007, the back pain has become a part of life. One know can identify the intensity of pain and the resultant corrective action. I am at home for about 12 days now with the back pain (slip disc pain). The driving position, the car, the roads etc are only excuses we give to ourselves. Infact after some injections and rest, when the pain subsided, I started muscle strengthening exercises and it has helped me sail four years. This time my pain reemerged because I have not been exercising for almost six months. Also we tend to feel that we are all superheroes. We ignore pain, our health to do other things. Let's exercise and take care of our backs. I am definitely hitting the gym once I am out of this pain.

Last edited by shivmarwaha : 20th November 2011 at 19:06.
shivmarwaha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 19:32   #232
BHPian

One thing is for sure that back ache could not be avoided completely if you are doing long drives. However, by bringing a few things that have already been mentioned by t-bhpians in this thread too, I could definitely control it fairly well. What I now follow is, keeping the seat fairly upright, change position a bit every now and then, regular breaks (this though is not always possible very frequently), and somthing that I don't know if directly related, keeping the back pockets of trousers or jeans empty.
swarooppatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 10:37   #233
Senior - BHPian

+1 to all points. Kindly remove the (fat) wallet from your rear pocket. Actually it is blocking the blood circulation in the area, applying pressure to the iliac crest and there by putting pressure on lower spine and disks.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 11:59   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu
+1 to all points. Kindly remove the (fat) wallet from your rear pocket. Actually it is blocking the blood circulation in the area, applying pressure to the iliac crest and there by putting pressure on lower spine and disks.
Thanks Myavu for the explanation, I followed this practice just as it felt comfortable. Now I also know why.
swarooppatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 22:08   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
...I don't know if directly related, keeping the back pockets of trousers or jeans empty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
@swarooppatil: The following links would make interesting reading for you...

Hip Pocket Syndrome – lower back pain | HealthBee

Piriformis Syndrome | Sciatica | Back Pain | Sciatica Nerve Pain | Herniated Disc Relief

The Claim: Keeping a Wallet in Your Back Pocket Can Cause Sciatica - New York Times

Word Spy - wallet neuropathy
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 12:06   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
After years of pain and starting this thread in 2007, the back pain has become a part of life. One know can identify the intensity of pain and the resultant corrective action. I am at home for about 12 days now with the back pain (slip disc pain). The driving position, the car, the roads etc are only excuses we give to ourselves. Infact after some injections and rest, when the pain subsided, I started muscle strengthening exercises and it has helped me sail four years. This time my pain reemerged because I have not been exercising for almost six months. Also we tend to feel that we are all superheroes. We ignore pain, our health to do other things. Let's exercise and take care of our backs. I am definitely hitting the gym once I am out of this pain.
I also used to have back pain with long drives. But, surprisingly, my nano LX do not give me any pain even after continuous drive of above 300 kms in a single stretch with only a tea break of 15 minutes after 135 kms !
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 12:09   #237
BHPian

Finally in a situation where I can now move about (though restricted to the house itself), physio and exercises have started. Hopefully by another week shd be up and going to work. And yes exercising. That is the only thing which can prevent these pain attacks.
shivmarwaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 12:50   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody i keep a cushion to support the back.
worked wonders finished a 6000 kms bombay leh bombay solo drive with no back problems. last year did 3000 kms bombay gurgaon bombay without a cushion and was bed ridden for 2/3 days and had to to call a masseur before i could stand straight.
Hallo,
I tried in-vain to acquire one custom built driving cushion from the internet but failed. For some reason the manufacturing company was not willing to deliver me the same in my state of West Bengal. Now I am thinking of buying one for me from the local bedding and mattress store. May I know what type of cushion do you use to support your back? Is it a soft and spongy one or shall I try it a bit hard? And considering my height to be around five feet ten, what size of cushion shall I opt for? Will the normal cushions available in the stores serve my purpose well?
Please reply soon to help me with my purchase.
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 14:21   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Hallo,
I tried in-vain to acquire one custom built driving cushion from the internet but failed. For some reason the manufacturing company was not willing to deliver me the same in my state of West Bengal. Now I am thinking of buying one for me from the local bedding and mattress store. May I know what type of cushion do you use to support your back? Is it a soft and spongy one or shall I try it a bit hard? And considering my height to be around five feet ten, what size of cushion shall I opt for? Will the normal cushions available in the stores serve my purpose well?
Please reply soon to help me with my purchase.
AMRON

They delivers to Kolkata. You need to pay by online transfer, they will send it to you by courier. I bought them from them in this manner.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 00:50   #240
BHPian

Rahul
Hi
I just used an ordinary cushion approximatel 15" by 15" and 4 inches thick filled with ordinary cotton.Same cushion like you keep on your sofas.
Hope this helps
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote