Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th June 2004, 22:11   #1

Default Hi, I am new here & Some info required

Hi All,
I am from chennai & have been reading through some of these posts & have been very impressed with what i have seen - Keep up the good work folks - Decided to take the plunge & have joined to add to the malady.
I need some help - I will be picking up my Black Optra 1.6 LS tomorrow from the dealer.
1. What do i need to watch out when i pick up the car from the dealer?
2. Any immediate addons - Teflon/polymer coating etc. ?
3. Any other suggestions to help me mainatin the car ?
4. I am returning the orginal system for 5000 to the dealer & am planning to buy a new one - Need to play cassettes/CD/MP3 - Any suggestions ?

All other suggestions welcome
Thanks,
veipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 23:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the car doesn't come with tubeless tyres then it would be a good idea to get them fitted with tubeless by the compay itself.

Trust me, having tubeless tyres will help a lot.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 00:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey veipe .
Congrats for buying Black Optra 1.6. I got mine two months back. Black 1.8 LT.
Your car will come with tubeless tyres. Just ensure they're giving you Goodyear NCT and not Kumho (hope that spelling is correct).
Happy driving man.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 13:33   #4

Thanks guys - It comes with GoodYear tubeless tires.

veipe
Old 11th June 2004, 13:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Now that your car is here, how about some pics.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey veipe. Congrats on your new car and happy driving. For you music system you can go in for a Pioneer system , they have quite a nice range for mp3 systems . If you wish to get an amplifier and woofers that would work well. GTO has an excellent system in his Vtec. You could pm him for advice.

An upsize in tyres would also help

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 18:23   #7

Hi Folks,

I am in a spot of bother - I need to play my wifes collection of cassetttes as well as I would love to play CD & MP3. Any good suggestions on how I could achieve the same - I have a 2 Din provision. i would prefer Pioneer

veipe
" I see when I believe"
Old 11th June 2004, 18:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

the only way i know of doing this is to get a cassette head unit with a CD changer that will play MP3s. Alpine, Sony and Pioneer make these. Blaupunkt's CD changer does not play MP3s.

BTW I have got a lot of reports of CD changers of different makes that start giving trouble so make sure that your installer can give you service if this happens.

Oh yes and one can add ampliofiers and speakers and even spare batteries (you might need to upgrade your alternator for this) and capacitor banks et. al. but keep in mind bigger is not nesscarily better

the car enviroment is hardly condusive to serious listening. Besides it is diffcult in that the tempretures, humidity, etc. put stress on the electronics and the small space and odd speaker locations rarely offer the kind of support one gets when building a home stereo system.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 20:47   #9
Max
BHPian

Gang,

Greetings. This is my first post. Please Please welcome me. Now back to topic.

Get the MagWheels / Alloy Wheels. I really love the looks optra with Mag Wheels. I am planning to buy one and one thing i have decided that when i will have my black optra the next day i am going to install Alloy Wheels having elegance style. Like it has been given in this photo.

sorry i don't see any place where i can upload the image. will try to publish it through some site.

cheers.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 05:13   #10
Max
BHPian

Smile

Ok. here is the picture of optra with my kinda Alloy Wheels.

Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 22:09   #11

I myself got a Black Optra1.6 LS last month, and have run just about 500km. I also had similar questions...
1. Alloy Wheels - Does it make any big difference?
2. Upgrade to 15'' wheel - In US (Suzuki Forenza) and Canada (Optra), the same vehicle is sold with 15'' wheels and tyres (190/55 R15). Dealer is suggesting 195/65 R14. Any advices? Does it affect safety?

As of now I am going in for Teflon coating (everyone tells me that do it definitely for black), and a 3M sun control.
msreenivasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 23:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

you can get a pioneer music system
which plays mp3 and cass. for around 17000.
its pretty cool and i have seen it nd liked it but dont have any model no.
also congrats on your new car
hope you enjoy it but for some reason i dont seem to .....
can some one help me out.........
maybe becoz its a daewoo or that the top of the line versionis too expensive for me to consider .. i love the sunroof and leather ...
oh well anyways
enjoy the car
and i hope that it is not a descision you will regret.

cheers lamborghini
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 12:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (msreenivasan @ June 15 2004,20:39)]As of now I am going in for Teflon coating (everyone tells me that do it definitely for black), and a 3M sun control.
sreenivasan,

The teflon coating is totally useless...it neither prevents minor scratches and nor protects the paint...recently 2 of my friends got new cars and went for it and now both of them r regretting their decision

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 13:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (msreenivasan @ June 15 2004,20:39)]1. Alloy Wheels - Does it make any big difference?
2. Upgrade to 15'' wheel - In US (Suzuki Forenza) and Canada (Optra), the same vehicle is sold with 15'' wheels and tyres (190/55 R15). Dealer is suggesting 195/65 R14. Any advices? Does it affect safety?
Hey Veipe,

Enjoy your new car man!

Msreenivasan,

To answer your questions-
1. Does it make a BIG difference... alloy wheels have these benefits -
-They are lighter so better fuel economy etc.
-They dont rust like steel wheels so the airseal between a tubeless tire and an alloy is superior to that from a steel wheel
-They usually let more air flow over your brakes, keeping them cool
-They dissipate heat through the alloy better.
-There are several more reasons...but honestly..i think the best thing about alloys is the way they make your car look! Even if the other advantages werent there i would still go for alloys!

2. In the US & other countries (with better roads) the stock wheels given on cars are always larger. In India this would not be a good idea as with larger alloys your tire sidewall height (profile) just gets shorter..and hence its easier to damage the alloys or feel the bumps in the road with larger wheels.
Your dealer is suggesting 195/65R14... that makes sense if you like spirited driving! But keep in mind...what is more important than how wide your tires are is how good the quality of the rubber used is. If you are looking for amazing braking and road holding go for the utlra-sport tires available from most manufacturers. My favourite being michelin.. beautiful soft grippy rubber.

cya
Rehaan
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 13:42   #15

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I decided to go for a Pioneer Cassete player with a 12 CD changer - NO MP3 for now
Lamborghini : Its all in the mind - Havent we learnt to accept Hyundai ? The Matiz was a very good car too.
IN the last six months GM Asia have improved their sales - The Optra(Not sold everywhere as the Optra) has been one of the most significant contributor to the increased numbers - It has won the Car of the year award in Thailand (If i remember it right).
Msreenivasan: I checked out on the same - Moving to 15" tyres - The reason as quoted by the dealers is that the Indian models have had their suspension finetuned & therefore the larger tyres could cause problems.

Veipe