Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th January 2008, 18:49   #31

The Honda City Owners Manual talks of audible indication (screeching noise) of worn out brake pads. But I heard from a friend that he had a bad experience with OHC, the pads seem to wareout really fast after you start getting that audible indication. So probably the best way is to have a 'visual check' done during every service. I insist on this during my service visits. Not too sure if i can rely on the audible indication !?

My M800 has managed 50K with only one change at 40K (dont exactly remember). The NHC VTEC is now 52K on the ODO & still had 35% of original pad remaining (as per the notings made by Honda service at 50K interval).

I tend to urge others about virtues of the engine / gear breaking. Just had a lengthy session with a friend on the way back from Pune yesterday. Some corner of my mind however, I do have a doubt; is the engine or gear box affected due to this ?? I mean significantly; hope not.
sadesaath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 16:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I would tend to agree with tsk1979. I believe engine braking always helps in slowing down the car when decelerating/braking. If you press the clutch to the fullest, aren't you putting the entire task of slowing down the car to the brakes? Doesn't sound right from a commonsense point of view.

Maybe the TBHP experts can advise?
Sure. Engine braking helps the cause assuming you downshift.
And, according to me engine braking causes clutch plate to wear out faster.

What I was describing was - if the driver presses the brake but does not downshift.

BTW, my NHC has now completed 55000 KM and still on original brake pads and shoes. The condition has been monitored carefully (checked during every 5K service).
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

I've just realized that I've never changed the brake pads of my indica - at least i dont seem to have been billed for it. braking seems to be fine. I've run about 25,000k now.

How do i know when to change the pads ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

You will hear it.
There are wear indicators on the brake pads which grind against the discs, producing a metallic noise, when your brake pads are worn.
You can always have them inspected by a good mech too.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 18:57   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
There are wear indicators on the brake pads which grind against the discs, producing a metallic noise, when your brake pads are worn.
You mean the metallic sound is intentionally engineered into the pads as a wear indicator? Man, learn something new everyday!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 15:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Regular inspection is best way to keep the brake pads in shape.

Its enough to check one of them to get an idea about the wear. By rule both pairs should be replaced together be it the pads/ shoes/disk or even the tyre to keep it on optimum operation.

You will feel the problem because your brakes will be spongy when you step on the brake pedal. You will probably also notice that the brake pedal goes down to or very near the floorboard. You will often feel a pulsing sensation when applying brakes.all this are attention getter to have brakes checked

Metallic sound from brakes is final news asking for immediate a change and is best avoided to prevent damage to the disk/drum.

You can also keep a check on the level of brake fluid going down with time to auto adjust them.

Last edited by gigy : 26th September 2009 at 15:09.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 15:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys
how much would a brake pad set for a m800 cost.Also how much labor will be charged for replacing the same ?

thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 17:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've just realized that I've never changed the brake pads of my indica - at least i dont seem to have been billed for it. braking seems to be fine. I've run about 25,000k now.

How do i know when to change the pads ?
I've done close to 40k kms now and still havent changed the brake pads. Though off-late, I do hear some kind of a mild screech occasionally, the braking is absolutely fine and I still cant feel any kind of pulsation while braking?

Could this sound be related to the brake liners? I normally hear this sound in the mornings when I drive the first time but there is no noise once I've driven for a few kms - also, these days I tend to depress the brake pedal a few times while stationary.
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 17:23   #39
BHPian

I've done 38K+ on my Swift diesel on original brake pads. They are still perfect in dry, but sometimes ditch while driving in wet. I'm going to get them replaced with Bosch brake pads, going to get them from Bosch dealership tomorrow most probably!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 08:45   #40
BHPian

I have done 75 k in my Corolla. Replaced the brake pads at 42k and now am hearing squeaking sounds while braking. The Nandi Toyota service center guy says I have to replace the disc as there is not enough thickness left in it and brake pads. Brake pads cost @5000 and discs are @2000 per disc. Am wondering how to ascertain whether the disc has enough life left in it or not. Any thoughts? Will hammering the disc give me an indication?

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 10:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

As already said, screeching noise is the best indicator. This is especially high when you brake hard, but even a gentle press on the brake will reveal the problem. In my Corolla, the first time for replacement in AT was at around 19K but I had adequate warning even 1-2K earlier. However, at around 38K, there was no timely warning ie, a gradual increase in noise. It all happened within 2-3 days and because I delayed it, my cost went up from 6K (normal replacement) to 10-10.5K (some discs also got worn off).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 10:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
I have done 75 k in my Corolla. Replaced the brake pads at 42k and now am hearing squeaking sounds while braking. The Nandi Toyota service center guy says I have to replace the disc as there is not enough thickness left in it and brake pads. Brake pads cost @5000 and discs are @2000 per disc. Am wondering how to ascertain whether the disc has enough life left in it or not. Any thoughts? Will hammering the disc give me an indication?

Nainar
Squeaking sounds means your disc is already being eaten into, it's best to get it changed regardless. There are cheaper alternatives like disc skimming etc which you could do instead, but it's best to replace it if you are going to keep the car for sometime more.
BMW changes the discs as a routine thing when brake pads are replaced. It's normal procedure to replace discs each time.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote