Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th November 2007, 12:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Premium Diesel for your Oilburners

Folks,

I would like your opinion on this . Which s the best Diesel for Cars like the Indica in case you are not using any additives. I have read conflicting opinions on this as some forum members opine that Xtra Mile and Turbojet result in excessive smoking.

A lot of forum members also recommend Shell but the same is not commonly available in NCR ( if at all).

Regards,

Rajneeesh
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 17:21   #2
BHPian

I tried normal and xtra mile diesel for my Swift VDi and looks like mileage is better with Xtra mile so sticking with it.

Yes Looks like It is smoking more but I am not worried too much about it.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 00:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I heard Indica owners use System D for better FE.

Dont and i repeat dont put premium fuels for your diesel cars, it will only make the car smoke more and some more.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 19:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

The best is the normal diesel without any additives. Gives the best mileage though a bit coarser
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 20:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The best is the normal diesel without any additives. Gives the best mileage though a bit coarser
You are right.Normally with premium diesel engine is smooth,but too much smoke.With normal diesel even it is coarser there wont be much smoke.But one thing i noticed with premium diesel is get more power than normal diesel.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 20:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

maybe true,after using the super diesel of bp i get very low mileage throughout my 20000 km in my verna,i am thinking of switching over to normal diesel after this tankfull.i am getting arround 12-16 kmpl overall.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 20:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

"premium" fuels seem unpopular on this site, and particularly I've taken the advise not to use them in my Swift VDI. It's a first diesel for me (pwnership at least, I've driven others) so advice is really useful.

But, if everybody is advising against premium fuel, what is the point of it? What are the oil companies selling there? Is it just a marketing thing?

I used to put higher-price, higher-octane petrol in my car in UK: the mileage was noticably better, and it worked out less per mile than the lower price. Either was acceptable according to the car manufacturer.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 20:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah...that's right. I use normal fuel to my Ikon. I have stopped using the premium fuel as there was no big difference in the mileage I was getting. I switched back to normal.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 20:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

For petrols using Premium fuels is fine, i have been using primarily since the car is meant to run on 91Octane only.

About diesel when i used the car smoked so much that there was no visibility at the rear in my RVMs.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 22:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

yes the smoke is too much and when we care for our drive i hate premium nowram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 12:14   #11
BHPian

i have started using SYSTEM D for my dicor and believe me the engine is lot smoother and peppy then before.
i highly recommend system d with normal fuel.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 17:29   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But, if everybody is advising against premium fuel, what is the point of it? What are the oil companies selling there? Is it just a marketing thing?
Yup, its just a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
I used to put higher-price, higher-octane petrol in my car in UK: the mileage was noticably better, and it worked out less per mile than the lower price. Either was acceptable according to the car manufacturer.
Fuel octane rating is vastly different from regular fuel + additives. Some engines with high compression ratios perform noticeably better on higher octane petrol. But the supposedly premium diesel has no conceivable benefits. Mercedes Benz, Skoda and Ford strictly advise AGAINST premium diesel.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 17:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Also check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...m-engines.html (Do premium fuels harm engines?)
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 19:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, its just a marketing gimmick.

Fuel octane rating is vastly different from regular fuel + additives. Some engines with high compression ratios perform noticeably better on higher octane petrol. But the supposedly premium diesel has no conceivable benefits. Mercedes Benz, Skoda and Ford strictly advise AGAINST premium diesel.
Astonishing!

I made the mistake of putting in my old Indica (Woops, I forgot that --- second-time diesel owner), and probably would in the Swift too if I hadn't read the warning here first.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 07:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"premium" fuels seem unpopular on this site, and particularly I've taken the advise not to use them in my Swift VDI. It's a first diesel for me (pwnership at least, I've driven others) so advice is really useful.

Premium petrols are popular at Team-BHP but not Premium diesels. The FE seems to be better with Premium petrols.

I'm ignorant about the Premium diesels since I'm a Petrolhead !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote