Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:02   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
IronWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Benga-loo-ru
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I second that, without thinking twice. It should be true IMO.

I've been following this thread for quite sometime now. If the above is what we've reached, what are we trying to discuss now?
IMO we are discussing OHC 1.5 (Non-Vtec with the Bhp advantage) Vs Baleno (engine cc advantage)

I still dont have an answer to my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Time to rename the thread maybe?
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Or probably time to close this thread
Disagree
IronWolf is offline  
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:33   #137
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
Whats fair in comparing a 1.5 with a 1.6 capacity engine ?
I do see your point. The Baleno surely has a 100cc advantage. But the OHC-Vtec and the OHC also have a BHP advantage over the Baleno. I am not saying these just cancel off, but given the cars available here, these kind of comparisons are inevitable.

A thread on the Ikon1.6 / Palio1.6 / Baleno1.6 would be great, but do we have enough data on their performance (tests conducted by auto-mags etc) ? Without which it would be meaningless to do a comparo.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 4th December 2007, 20:32   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
A thread on the Ikon1.6 / Palio1.6 / Baleno1.6 would be great, but do we have enough data on their performance (tests conducted by auto-mags etc) ? Without which it would be meaningless to do a comparo.

Ikon 1.6, Baleno 1.6 and the Palio 1.6 acceleration times can be found at some old issues of Autocar. Ikon's was 11.96 and more or less is in the ball park of what the company claimed. Dont know if there was a difference in the times of the pre and post NXT's. However wise handling wise the NXT's were a bit mellowed down to suit indian tastes of Ride. Its a bit slower than the Euro III Baleno, but not by much.

Whereas I still maintain, straight line acceleration is one thing, agility while maintaining a sppedy pace is another.

Moreover, we all know how much to trust the vintage overdrive. On top of that the Baleno used in the 17 car test wasn't stock (it had upsized tyres and what not, who knows).

Last edited by 1100D : 4th December 2007 at 20:35.
1100D is offline  
Old 4th December 2007, 22:02   #139
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

He he.. I am sure.. so what shall I consider this! an invitation for a drag! ;-)

[quote=BlackPearl;644374]that depends on who is driving the stock baleno... but definitely not me[/quote
ssjr0498 is offline  
Old 4th December 2007, 23:37   #140
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,386 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
He he.. I am sure.. so what shall I consider this! an invitation for a drag! ;-)
actually here is a guy in Kolkata who burns the Kolkata roads at night in a black baleno. he is a national racing champion and this year's INRC 1400cc champ. I am ready to place a bet on him
BlackPearl is online now  
Old 4th December 2007, 23:43   #141
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
actually here is a guy in Kolkata who burns the Kolkata roads at night in a black baleno. he is a national racing champion and this year's INRC 1400cc champ. I am ready to place a bet on him
Hmm,

tiger in a sheep skin!! "ki dada amar to phetey jeto"

but honestly dada, even if the gentleman is a INRC champ there is nothing much he can do in a drag with a relatively lower performing car.

Just for the sake of it!! How much will u get out of a launch, his being perfect and mine being somewhat ok!! the Honda will compensate for that.

I have a video in which a friend of mine dragging his OHC Vtec against a Baleno was struggling to gain traction while the Baleno gained traction and was almost a car's length ahead, at the end of the 1/4th mile, the vtec still beat the baleno..

Anyway, next time I am in Kol!! how bout we meet up?

Cheers,
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 4th December 2007 at 23:54.
ssjr0498 is offline  
Old 4th December 2007, 23:51   #142
BHPian
 
vittalnrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Baleno and 1.5 City both are good vehicles. But production is stopped now so why still fightin over these toys. Find new toys boys, there are civics,corolla,accord,etc. I think its time to move on , these cars have reached their saturation point.
vittalnrv is offline  
Old 4th December 2007, 23:57   #143
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,386 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hmm,

tiger in a sheep skin!! "ki dada amar to phetey jeto"

but honestly dada, even if the gentleman is a INRC champ there is nothing much he can do in a drag with a relatively lower performing car.

Just for the sake of it!! How much will u get out of a launch, his being perfect and mine being somewhat ok!! the Honda will compensate for that..
Cheers,
Shrey
what you have said is quite true. no point in just a head to head drag, but being baleno fans we would have set up course where his driving skills would do the talking . moreover, if its a non vtec then only a slight difference in shifts could change the results

Quote:
Anyway, next time I am in Kol!! how bout we meet up?
surely Sir, anytime PM me or any of the Kolkata tbhpians as soon as you land....
BlackPearl is online now  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:03   #144
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Dada in this case I would have called upon one of the distinguished bhpian's to come to the vtec's rescue.. This guy own the vtec from the days it was launched has lived his life on the ghats. He can take corners with his eyes closed

The last time he came to the track day in Chennai,driving a frenz vtec with worn out 195's he was a full 1 second quicker than another bhpian's Baleno with 205's.

IMO and from what I have seen, be it track or the drag the vtec's have and will still outperfom the baleno.

Cheers,
Shrey


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
but being baleno fans we would have set up course where his driving skills would do the talking . moreover, if its a non vtec then only a slight difference in shifts could change the results

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 5th December 2007 at 01:07.
ssjr0498 is offline  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:12   #145
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,386 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Dada in this case I would have called upon one of the distinguished bhpian's to come to the vtec's rescue.. This guy own the vtec from the days it was launched has lived his life on the ghats. He can take corners with his eyes closed

The last time he came to the track day in Chennai,driving a frenz vtec with worn out 195's he was a full 1 second quicker than another bhpian's Baleno with 205's.

IMO and from what I have seen, be it track or the drag the vtec's have and will still outperfom the baleno.

Cheers,
Shrey
ok ok, no more discussions on this . we are going OT
BlackPearl is online now  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:33   #146
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default

Just to add some masala to the already spiced up thread.

How would Viva CRDI Vs Baleno Vs Honda City ( non-vtec) fare? Trust me, viva crdi is no sloucher
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:37   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How would Viva CRDI Vs Baleno Vs Honda City ( non-vtec) fare? Trust me, viva crdi is no sloucher
Oh you are so right, its a true sleeper car of sorts. Loved the grunt when I test-drove one at the time of purchasing my car. However, I happened to bust two right tyres on the test-drive as the car went into a pothole. Moreover the steering was not that precise.

However the true colors of the CRDI comes out post 130. The car accelerates from there all the way upto 180, singing merrily all the time, brilliant engine.
1100D is offline  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:41   #148
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How would Viva CRDI Vs Baleno Vs Honda City ( non-vtec) fare? Trust me, viva crdi is no sloucher
Eh?

Compared to the other two, I would say it is. Sorry, but no offence meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
IMO we are discussing OHC 1.5 (Non-Vtec with the Bhp advantage) Vs Baleno (engine cc advantage)
Quote:
OHC Vtec vs Baleno (both stock) - which one is faster to the ton and beyond?
You mean VTEC or non-VTEC?

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 5th December 2007 at 01:44.
rocksterraghu is offline  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:41   #149
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Oh you are so right, its a true sleeper car of sorts. Loved the grunt when I test-drove one at the time of purchasing my car. However, I happened to bust two right tyres on the test-drive as the car went into a pothole. Moreover the steering was not that precise.

However the true colors of the CRDI comes out post 130. The car accelerates from there all the way upto 180, singing merrily all the time, brilliant engine.
Ahem, going over potholes i agree aint a very pleasant feeling but busting two tyres on the test drive sure must have dissuaded you from purchasing it. Strangely, the steering feel is one thing i love the most, i feel it gives nice feedback.
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th December 2007, 01:44   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Strangely, the steering feel is one thing i love the most, i feel it gives nice feedback.
Yes, but when you drive a Ford, you'll see that the steering not only provides feedback but also talks to you and sometimes gets telepathic!

However, Even if this thread has long lost its purpose, it is good that the life beyond a certain few cars are also being made visible.
1100D is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: OHC VTEC or OHC 1.5 adit1329 Shifting gears 5 22nd June 2012 17:00
NHC-Vtec or OHC Vtec..which is a better buy? sunith Sedans 4 2nd May 2006 21:25
Esteem faster then a OHC Vtec BUSA Shifting gears 10 7th March 2006 02:41
Which car is faster? Baleno or Vtec? speedfreak7116 Sedans 122 30th September 2005 22:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks