Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2004, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb Red Lining

guyz..
was red lining my accent tornado the other day .. i managed to pull the car to around 105 in the 2nd gear at around 6 k rpm

was wonderin after i reach hundred logically i should skip the third gear right and directly shift it to the 4 th cause the speed willb too high fer the 3rd rite
1 wanted too know what kinda damgae does it do to the engine?
2. if i keep accelerating even more will my acc cable snap offf?
3.what if i double clutch while i am red lining lol bizzare??
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 12:12   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

was wonderin after i reach hundred logically i should skip the third gear right and directly shift it to the 4 th cause the speed willb too high fer the 3rd rite
Nope. Third will be just fine.

Quote:
1 wanted too know what kinda damgae does it do to the engine?
The pre-set revv limiter will kick in before you reach an rpm range that will cause serious damage to your engine. However driving on the red line will surely create a higher rate of wear and tear than sticking to 2 - 4k rpm normal driving conditions.

Quote:
Nope. What made you think so?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 12:14   #3
BHPian

i din know abt the rev limiter .. so i thught abt it
Old 18th December 2004, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the Vtec, if you cross the 7100 rpm rev limit, the onboard computer detects that and switches off the fuel supply which slows the car down and brings it back below the redline.

I'm not sure if the Accent has this feature.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 15:02   #5
BHPian

ill find that out and let u know shan2u
Old 18th December 2004, 15:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Red lining can really screw u r car... a close frnd of mine ... once tried to race with me and since he was in a lancer which is pretty under powered compared to mine... he was ripping the engine high into the red line.... he was pulling 140km/hr or so in 3rd gear! thats quite abit for the lancer....stayed in the red line for quite abit ..........result...blown engine ...so try keeping it below the red

I had a question relating to this too.... are there any disadvantages of pulling u r car very often till just before the red line... as in not touch the red line at all shifting just before it touchs the red? does this coz the engine to get noisy or worn out in the long run?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 15:06   #7
BHPian

good question sahil which car do u own
Old 18th December 2004, 16:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a question relating to this too.... are there any disadvantages of pulling u r car very often till just before the red line... as in not touch the red line at all shifting just before it touchs the red? does this coz the engine to get noisy or worn out in the long run?
Any mechanical part will have some sort of frictional force acting on it. Higher the engine rpm, higher the frictional rate for a given time. Redlining a engine every time you drive will wear it's parts out, much faster than if it was driven normally.

If you want your engine to last for years then try not to revv it above 3-4 K rpm. Redlining once in a while wont do much harm. But try not to make it a habit everytime you get in your car.

During long distance driving i make it a point to shift at around 2800-3000 rpm. I redline my car maybe 2-5 times a month. I've never ever launched the car from high rpms in 1st gear. I always rip from a rolling start.

When ever i start with a cold engine i dont cross 2500 until the temp guage reaches it's optimum level.

Result : My Vtec has done 46K kms and it's still as good as new, i regularly get it serviced and check all the oil levels once every 4-5 days.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 17:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
good question sahil which car do u own
I have a Honda Accord Automatic....
I havent ever red lined my car since i always drive in D4 and when i keep the accelerator pressed full down the tacho shifts just before the red line starts, hence it does not let you go into the red zone. But i often drive in manual mode as in shift from D1 to D2 to D3 and then D4 ... when in D3 or below i can red line the car but never really done it, i usually shift before. But my only concern is that i am addicted to the sound of the honda engine and the poweerr surge at high rpms hence almost everyday i pull it a couple of times all the way up till before the red line... just hope this doesnt screw up my car ....damnn i am just too addicted to doing that

Last edited by Sahil : 18th December 2004 at 17:01.
Old 18th December 2004, 19:24   #10
BHPian

hey dude accord ..... was plannin to buy ......still dun know whether to wait fer the mondeo....or go for the accord
Old 19th December 2004, 00:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My accord is the previous generation one (2002 model) but the new accord is killer too... I was considering the mondeo too when i got my accord.... Accord overall wins hands down dude, go for it without a doubt u wont regret it.
Old 19th December 2004, 12:50   #12
BHPian

i think i shud wait have a look at the mondeo and then decide
wad say dude
Old 19th December 2004, 14:20   #13
bhp
BHPian

i think the accord v6 is anytime better than the mondeo !!
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 18:21   #14
BHPian

v6 i way expensive not inmy budget and A/T no fun ... a camry m/t is worth the price of a v6 ....so cant buy camry.. i love the camry.. ne time no matter how good is the accord i simply love the professional look of the camry...so i guess will wait for the mondeo and then if nothing works out .. rob a bank and will buy a camry lol..