Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th October 2008, 20:24   #151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Friends,

Need couple of suggestions for the problems faced in my Xeta
  • I have a strange issue of Head Lights. The Left is Brighter & Powerful than the Right. I changed my Head Lights from Stock to Philips & am facing this problem since then. I tried with different sets of bulbs & different mechanics but no one is able to solve my problem.
  • Second, the milegae, I get only 9KM with 100% AC in City. Need Suggestions to improve on it
Also please suggest if I need to go for Paid Service. My 10K 2nd Free Service is Due in Feb '09.

Regards
Marlon
1. In stock condition, are both the headlamps equally bright? Have you tried fitting the stock bulbs back and seeing if the problem persists?

2. 9 kpl with 100% A/C in Chennai city is normal. Try upshifting at 15-30-45-60 for 2-3-4-5 and see if there is any improvement. Have you hit the highway yet?

3. Why do you want to pay money when you have a free service due? I couldn't understand this.

Sir, how much has your car run so far?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 21:24   #152
BHPian

I didnt see this thread. Hope it isnt too late.

I'm no expert on engine oils but the best thing to do would be to use whatever's recommended in the manual (its castrol GTD for indica diesel) and IMO thats good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_cool87 View Post
I haven't got any reply yet.
I'm asking u guys because I don't want the garage boys to decide wat to do and what not !
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 12:08   #153
BHPian

My car has done 75K, should i get the timing belt changed from TASC or from roadside mechanic ?

And what are the symptoms of improper timing ? I feel the engine sounds like a tractor when idle and is sluggish after the car warms up, could this be a timing issue ?
Old 28th October 2008, 12:23   #154
Team-BHP Support

Get timing belt changed aroun 90K, before that, not needed.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 14:30   #155
BHPian

Should i get the timing checked at TASC ? or better to get it done outside.

I posted my problem on Indica users group and one person said it could be due to timing retard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Get timing belt changed aroun 90K, before that, not needed.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:13   #156
Team-BHP Support

If you know a decent outside mechanic, get it done from there. Buy OEM belt though, it costs twice as much as the "Taxi version".
As for cold clatter, thats a common issue with indica. As for sluggishness, there are other more common culprits like clogged injectors etc.,
Have you ever had your fuel pump overhauled? If not, that could be the cause too. Around 80K, the FP needs a good whack. But for that job, get it done from the experts.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:25   #157
BHPian

I havent got it overhauled but it was changed under warranty at 32K. Should i get the injectors cleaned ? Is it to be dont at TASC or Lucas service centre ?
And im planning to get the fuel filters changed at the next service before going for anything more complex.

Quote:
If you know a decent outside mechanic, get it done from there. Buy OEM belt though, it costs twice as much as the "Taxi version".
As for cold clatter, thats a common issue with indica. As for sluggishness, there are other more common culprits like clogged injectors etc.,
Have you ever had your fuel pump overhauled? If not, that could be the cause too. Around 80K, the FP needs a good whack. But for that job, get it done from the experts.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:27   #158
Team-BHP Support

When the engine is warm, try this, take her to full throttle near idle.
Is there any fluttering near redline?
This means there is some issue with fuel delivery
This can be
1. Caliberation issue
2. FP real problem
3. Filter issue.
If you see this after changing fuel filters(get Delphi fuel filters), then you may need to go for FP check. If you go to TASC, they will tell you FP overhaul as its a big money maker, so go directly to Lucas service center if you can.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:30   #159
BHPian

Actually there isnt any fluttering at idle but i get a different idle rpm once in a while and it returns to normal (~1000 w/o AC ) after revving a bit. And i've also noticed the rpms increasing on their own immediately after starting, this also happens once in 5-6 starts.

Ill try the test for fluttering at redline today.

Quote:
When the engine is warm, try this, take her to full throttle near idle.
Is there any fluttering near redline?
This means there is some issue with fuel delivery
This can be
1. Caliberation issue
2. FP real problem
3. Filter issue.
If you see this after changing fuel filters(get Delphi fuel filters), then you may need to go for FP check. If you go to TASC, they will tell you FP overhaul as its a big money maker, so go directly to Lucas service center if you can.

Last edited by adityamunshi : 29th October 2008 at 11:32.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:32   #160
Team-BHP Support

you definitely got some clogging somwhere in the fuel line.
Get filters changed, and injectors cleaned, and then see if there is any difference.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:35   #161
BHPian

Thanks tanveer. Ill get back to you after its done.
Quote:
you definitely got some clogging somwhere in the fuel line.
Get filters changed, and injectors cleaned, and then see if there is any difference.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:52   #162
BHPian

Hi Guys

I have been following the various points mentioned above; I have a Xeta 2006 (ran 27k) till date.

Just got it services from a non TASC (actually an authorised Maruti A.S.S) who also does Palio, Ford, TATA etc.

BTW - my query is that I have been experiencing a similar problem to AM which is when I start the car put her in first and when going to second press the clutch the rpm goes to 2000 plus, wherein I have not even touched the accelerator.

Is this what clogging is all about. The TASC (somewhere in September) mentioned that the clutch has to be changed and would cost about 8k, and since I dint want to spend so much he told me that he has done something which can make it run for a few months.

Dont know how serious this is as I have travelling a lot now a days on weekend - just returned from Mahaleshwar this weekend and had gone to Goa in September.

Please advise. BTW - at the non TASC got my decarbonising done, flushed the engine oil and refilled with Mobil (non synthetic fuel).

Thanks..Salil
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:44   #163
Team-BHP Support

TSK, I guess I could do with an advice from you. Others also provide some ideas if you can.

Actually there are two problems here. Heres the first. My AC at idle has been acting up for a while. It can not restart on its own if it cuts off. Of course everything becomes ok once the car starts running again. So basically the rev is not going up. TSK knows this problem. Its been on for a while now, just that I can not afford to keep the car with TASS for a day or 2 everytime a problem crops up. This being not a showstopper it is kind of remained till date. But am thinking of getting it sorted out in this service, either from TAS or else from outside.

The TASS mechs, the great guys that they are, they keep coming up with some new reason everytime. First it was some loose contact in a relay. Then it was a potentiometer problem. Latest is the FICP switch (or whatever it is called). One clearly visible thing that happens is that whenever the vaccum pipe is taken out, there is one in that switch (FICP?), the rev immediately goes up and the AC starts running. But with the pipe in place it does not happen.

So what seems to be the problem here? The potentiometer or the FICP switch? By the way TASS quotes an astronomical Rs.3200 as the cost for potentiometer! I do not know the cost of the FICP switch. Anyone knows any better price? All this is more infuriating because the problem came up in the first place because of those nincompoops and their careless handling of my vehicle. As of now I am just about managing because as a stop gap measure the cars idle rev has been set a little higher, so the AC picks up even in idle.

The second problem is a new appearance in my car since the last 3-4 days. Of late the car is showing tremendous allergy to get started in the morning. I am suspecting that a couple of glowplugs would have gone kaput. Lately even though I fire the glowplugs 3-4 times in the morning before I actually try to start the car still shudders and the battery gives up momentarily. However in second attempt it does start up.

Once the car has started and has run a couple of kms it starts alright. Even if I park it at basement 2 parking of my office (dark and cold) the whole day after a drive it still starts pretty ok in the evening. Its only the morning start that gives the problem.

Does it sound like a glowplug problem or could it be the starter problem? I suspect glowplugs because the car starts fine once fired up. By the way the car has a brand new battery.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd November 2008 at 10:46.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:43   #164
BHPian

A worn engine can smoke because oil leaks into the cylinders around worn valve guides, or the oil rings are worn, or both. These conditions will create white smoke, which is burning oil, as opposed to a rich fuel problem, which will create black smoke, which is burning fuel.

If you get a puff of white smoke when you start your engine, after it has been sitting for hours, that's probably due to worn valve guides. Oil laying on the cylinder heads leaks into the cylinders while the car sits. Since the engine isn't running, the oil accumulates enough to cause visible smoke for a moment when the engine is started.

As long as the smoking engine doesn't foul spark plugs to often and can still pass emission tests, there's no big rush to do anything. Your can plan this job, making arrangements for other transportation while the car is out of service. But don't procrastinate too long. If you do, you'll soon find yourself wanting to rid yourself of a clunker.

I your car suddenly begins belching out white smoke, you can't wait. Something broke.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:59   #165
BHPian

Default Indica AC problem

All,

I have a peculiar problem with my Indica DLS. The problem has been persistent for last 8-10 months pertaining to the AC (blower?). The blower would not run on the first speed. However, it will function if the speed is set on 2 or more.

The AC switch (that controls blower speed) cased inside the left side passenger vent (and not the knob on the dashboard) has been changed a couple of times. Each time, it works for a day or so and again goes back to the problematic state. TASC has not been able to resolve the problem even though they have changed the blower motor itself and blower speed switch a couple of times.

This is the only sore point that I have with my Indica currently which has served me brilliantly for last 92K (completed 92K yesterday).

Also, please note that I have not serviced my AC since I bought the car in 2003. Should I get it serviced from TASC (with whom I have lost confidence as far as AC is concerned) or should I get it done from local shop in Pune. Please suggest name/number of the shop from where I can get AC serviced.

takecare and drive safely

P.S. Mods, please change the forum if this is not the right forum to submit this post.

Mod's Note: Why post a new thread and then outsource your work to the Mods? Please use the Search button at the top bar to find a relevant thread in future.
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote