Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th December 2009, 23:54   #511
Senior - BHPian

do you mean the black engine cover or the damping treatment applied to the whole car?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 06:12   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Due to Check Engine lamp gloving continuously I have replaced the Potentiometer as told by the TASC. But I notice the FE have dropped down(after the replacement, cost was 4.3k). For the past 2 weeks when the running with ac on and switching it off the engine rpm refuses to come down. Will the problem be regarding the potentiometer? and any body throw some lights regarding the working of potentiometer
What is a potentiometer?
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 23:43   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
do you mean the black engine cover or the damping treatment applied to the whole car?
@greenhorn: the black engine cover!
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 18:48   #514
Senior - BHPian

thats going to be hard to get. We've discussed this before, and it doesnt seem to be available, or is hard to get

I have a problem. When turning at full lock, or near full lock, especially on bad roads and inclines, I'm getting some loud vibrations from my front right wheel

what could be the cause ? busted wheel bearings? driveshafts?
Old 19th December 2009, 18:55   #515
BHPian

Quote:
I have a problem. When turning at full lock, or near full lock, especially on bad roads and inclines, I'm getting some loud vibrations from my front right wheel

Definitely not the bearings - maybe the driveshaft but most likely the suspension arm ("axle" as per local mechanics)
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 00:44   #516
BHPian

Quote:
thats going to be hard to get. We've discussed this before, and it doesnt seem to be available, or is hard to get

did u upsize the tyres?

if no then get the suspension arms checked
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:36   #517

indica DLS 2005 kms done 47700.

1. I am getting creaking sound from engine compartment from timing belt side specially in cold condition.

2. Also getting some rattling sound from same area.

It is increasing, but still in cold condition.

Should I take it to garage or minor creaking or ratting is OK.

how can I increase the pick up with out doing much modification.
Manish Rathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:00   #518
BHPian

Guys, what's the exact symptom for

1) Clutch release bearing gone ?
2) Lower ball joints on PS gone ?

I gave my car for the 40K service, its run 42k. I complained about some clutch noise and in general lot of humming noises

Diagnosis - Both front wheel bearings gone and 1 rear wheel bearing gone - possible since the car was not only overloaded with farm produce but abused on some severe landscapes which pass as roads in our native village , but besides these I got the above 2 as well.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:15   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Rathor View Post
indica DLS 2005 kms done 47700.

1. I am getting creaking sound from engine compartment from timing belt side specially in cold condition.

2. Also getting some rattling sound from same area.
Creaking/rattling from the timing cover end could mean
  • broken bearing of an idler pulley
  • broken bearing of water pump/AC compressor
  • power steering pump beginning to say goodbye
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Guys, what's the exact symptom for

1) Clutch release bearing gone ?
2) Lower ball joints on PS gone ?
  1. Clutch release bearing damage will produce a whining sound when the slack is taken up in the clutch pedal (when the clutch is depressed partially).
  2. PS would have a ball joint and a tie-rod end. Both (or either) will produce a khat kind of sharp noise when going over potholes/bumps, or a constant rattling sound when going over a rippled surface.
Hope this helps...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:57   #520
BHPian

Thanks SS-Traveller. I think you got it spot on, there is a tiny noise at half clutch, but I only noticed it when starting up the car and it "seemed" to go away. Any idea if that could be due to riding the clutch ? I am looking at 6000 in damages for that.

For the ball joint, I have not noticed it so far. I guess the clutch bearing is probably more important to take care otherwise the long term could mean more expenses right ?
Old 25th January 2010, 19:16   #521
Senior - BHPian

ball joint noise = vibrations when you turn, on inclines, and especially in case of both
Old 25th January 2010, 19:25   #522
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
but I only noticed it when starting up the car and it "seemed" to go away. Any idea if that could be due to riding the clutch ? I am looking at 6000 in damages for that.
It could be due to riding the clutch. The bearing noise does go off once the clutch is released.

The amount you mentioned is not just for the bearing. Usually they change the clutch plate and pressure plate along with it. It is actually not needed and each individual item can be changed. The set is changed as the labour costs are more, but need not.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 19:32   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...there is a tiny noise at half clutch, but I only noticed it when starting up the car and it "seemed" to go away. Any idea if that could be due to riding the clutch ? I am looking at 6000 in damages for that.

For the ball joint, I have not noticed it so far. I guess the clutch bearing is probably more important to take care otherwise the long term could mean more expenses right ?
Well, you could defer the bearing replacement for a few thousand km if you don't ride the clutch constantly. A little whine is not going to make matters any worse than they already are, but if it increases to a distinct loud grating sound, you'll need to act then.

In any case, when opening up for the bearing, your clutch plate will be changed (after 42k km it would be more than half worn in most cases), which is why the 6k bill told to you.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 20:05   #524
BHPian

Quote:
ball joint noise = vibrations when you turn, on inclines, and especially in case of both
Thanks greenhorn,not that I have noticed it. It could be also that the ball joints were damaged when I hit some stones strewn on the road and beached the car on the median a few months ago. I lost the PS then, it turned out to be a minor damage at that time since one strange connector from the pump to the rack thing or something like that had taken the hit and was broken and all the PS fluid had leaked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

It could be due to riding the clutch. The bearing noise does go off once the clutch is released.

The amount you mentioned is not just for the bearing. Usually they change the clutch plate and pressure plate along with it. It is actually not needed and each individual item can be changed. The set is changed as the labour costs are more, but need not.
Thanks trrk, it confirms my suspicion. The problem comes when my mother and grandma go on the trips to our village and we hire a driver to take them. For sure I know that when the car comes back something or the other always make a wrong noise. I guess a lot of riding the clutch happens with these drivers nothing can be done I guess. I cannot accompany them on all the trips and if it were another car I guess it would have packed up by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, you could defer the bearing replacement for a few thousand km if you don't ride the clutch constantly. A little whine is not going to make matters any worse than they already are, but if it increases to a distinct loud grating sound, you'll need to act then.

In any case, when opening up for the bearing, your clutch plate will be changed (after 42k km it would be more than half worn in most cases), which is why the 6k bill told to you.
Oh ok, I guess then 6k is probably not bad then, if it would mean then that the clutch plate would be changed as well. Let me check that,since I was sort of expecting around 10k for the clutch plate alone. If its going to be 6k a few thousand km later as well, I guess I can live with it. I was hoping to do a Tanveer whose clutch had not been opened up for about 1 lakh or something, but when the car is not driven by only one person, I guess that's the price to pay.

Just one more question, can I defer the ball joint replacement as well to a few months/few thousand km down the line ?

Thanks a lot guys for your responses.

Last edited by indivic : 25th January 2010 at 20:06.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:52   #525
BHPian

There is a strange problem in my DLS 2004 done 85 K Kms on the odo. The engine cranks fine but refuses to start, if it starts there is idle fluctuation and it dies with 5-10 secs. Even push starting does not help, the engine starts for half a sec and then dies. What could be the problem ? Should i take the car to Lucas or TASC ?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote