Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th May 2010, 20:33   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
The hydraulic pipe of the power steering from the rack to the oil container has a slight film of oil and a drop on the banjo at the rack.
....any idea if this is high pressure or low? Will it give way? I need to drive to Goa but want to change this part
The oil container as you call it (the white plastic dabba) is the steering fluid reservoir. Both lines leading out of & returning oil into it are low pressure lines. The high pressure line is the one leading from the steering pump (on the back of the alternator, in the Indica/Indigo) to the hydraulic rams/actuators on the steering rack.

If you get a film/drop of oil on the pipe but the reservoir level is not going down significantly (more than 1/4th of its capacity) over a period of, say, 1 month, don't bother changing any of the pipes. If the loss is more than this, try tightening the circlips (jubilee clips) or replacing them. Also, check for cracks on the rubber pipes by bending them firmly - if you see crack lines, then you would want to replace the pipes.

However, if you haven't changed the fluid in the last 3 years, this may be a good time to get an oil change.

Get-me-home tip: If you lose steering fluid through leakage & end up with an extremely heavy steering, and cannot find steering fluid in the local area, use brake oil instead. It'll get you home, and won't hurt the steering pump either.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 21:18   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The oil container as you call it (the white plastic dabba) is the steering fluid reservoir. Both lines leading out of & returning oil into it are low pressure lines. .

Get-me-home tip: If you lose steering fluid through leakage & end up with an extremely heavy steering, and cannot find steering fluid in the local area, use brake oil instead. It'll get you home, and won't hurt the steering pump either.
SS-T
Thanks for the reply and the tip. Oil has been changed Jan 2009 when I fhcnged the power steeing pump. Loss is minimal and it has been hapening for a while since I noticed it on the bellows of the steering ball joint about two months ago. I was certain a few weeks ago when I removed the wheel to inspect this. I feel its from the crimp or through the pipe itself. Today I found a decent looking pipe from a TASS. However I feel the store guy or mechanic there have fitted a longer banjo and got it crimped on a old pipe. Luckily I removed the wheel and checked with the pipe on the car. I had measure the lenght. Now they say they will get it after a few days. I have postponed my trip to Goa because of this by a week. I will rethink about this now.

There is something else I have noticed, I had changed the timing belt last year so the cover was remover. I notice that the lower rear portion of the top/big cover doesn't sit inside the small lowere cover. This is towards the compressor side.So there is a gap there. Quite crude I would say. So am thinking of some ideas to fis this or leave it. Mechanich says chalega but I thought it's there to prevent dust.

And then the solenoid switch of the Lucas fuel pump leaks a little diesel from the crimp. This is the second time I have used quick drying araldite.. which makes it better but not completely dry. I went to the mico fuel injection place today but my friend had gone out so returned without this part
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th May 2010 at 21:20.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 21:34   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have postponed my trip to Goa because of this by a week. I will rethink about this now.
Don't see a need to postpone because of the steering fluid issue.

Quote:
...the lower rear portion of the top/big cover doesn't sit inside the small lowere cover.

Mechanich says chalega but I thought it's there to prevent dust.
A little bit of dust never hurt the timing belt. The cover isn't fitting because of heat warpage - happened in a lot of these cars when I used to see them - would expect the same now, unless Tata has radically improved plastic quality. The cover's job is also to protect from further damage/injury in case it breaks when the engine is running that job it continues to do.
Quote:
...the solenoid switch of the Lucas fuel pump leaks a little diesel from the crimp. This is the second time I have used quick drying araldite.. which makes it better but not completely dry.
Just a leaky o-ring. Quick job to change.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:24   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Don't see a need to postpone because of the steering fluid issue.
The cover isn't fitting because of heat warpage -

unless Tata has radically improved plastic quality.

Just a leaky o-ring. Quick job to change.
Good Info here. I will change the cover when I'm back if I can't align it properly.

No the leak is from the top portion, the plasting just below where the tiny bolt/stud projects to fix the elect connection. The plastic is crimped on to the switch. Maybe it gets loose. I've been controling it wil fast drying adhesive.
I'm quite ready to go now. rear wheel bearig was tight so got it greased and adjusted, New idler wheel for the alternator belt. New alternator belt. New clutch cable. 4 new apollo Accleres. Good Airflilter on. New fuel filter.
Oil is 6000 km old so I believe I can go another 1500 km before that change.
regards
Old 13th May 2010, 14:35   #575
BHPian

Default Can clutch vibration damage flywheel ?

Okay, finally I decided to change my clutch plates as diagnosed a few months ago, but now comes another news,it seems that the vibration on the clutch has also scored on the flywheel and the flywheel also needs to be replaced. Can such a thing happen ?

I did see the car on the hoist and flywheel had scoring marks like on a brake disk, I am also told that the "bed" has to replaced (Rs.350-450) as well, I have never seen (or even heard of this) one before, it was a pulley like thing attached to the monocoque ( I hope I got it right) and was quite loose.

Damage expected - Rs.6k, further diagnosis - FIP overhaul and both struts have to be replaced, which I am going to defer till I get next month's pay

P.S I am not going to Concorde anymore, this is at Carnation.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:20   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
,it seems that the vibration on the clutch has also scored on the flywheel and the flywheel also needs to be replaced. Can such a thing happen ?
I am also told that the "bed" has to replaced (Rs.350-450) as well, I have never seen (or even heard of this) one before, it was a pulley like thing attached to the monocoque ( I hope I got it right) and was quite loose..
Yes I suppose they will change the fly wheel and the ring gear which is around it. I suppose if this was not being done at a dealer workshop then you might have been able to machine the flywheel. But anyway it will now be like a new one.

By bed do you mean the gearbox mounting which is the only round things I can think off which may have got loose with age and use.
regards
Old 13th May 2010, 19:44   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...scored on the flywheel and the flywheel also needs to be replaced. Can such a thing happen ?
Ask them to have the flywheel turned and polished on a lathe - forget the replacement. If Carnation won't do it (TASSes don't), take the flywheel from them for a day, get the lathe job done yourself (should cost <500 INR) and ask them to fit it back.
Quote:
the "bed" has to replaced (Rs.350-450)
That's essentially the mounting support for the clutch bell housing - get it changed if required. Not very expensive, obviously.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th May 2010 at 19:46.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:51   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I suppose they will change the fly wheel and the ring gear which is around it. I suppose if this was not being done at a dealer workshop then you might have been able to machine the flywheel. But anyway it will now be like a new one.

By bed do you mean the gearbox mounting which is the only round things I can think off which may have got loose with age and use.
regards
Thanks deutscheafrikar (nice handle), yes the entire clutch assembly and the flywheel is changed, just completed a test drive, the clutch seems very light and the take up is quite smooth (it feels like a different car now).

Since the Indica will be taken by my family for their trips, I prefer to change the parts (provided I can afford it) - peace of mind.

I am no longer going to Concorde, but to Carnation and Carnation's work culture seems good. Access to the workshop floor is easy and you can see what work is going on - interesting for me to learn as well.

Next up will be the FIP over haul and suspension change...when is the next pay day coming up?

@ SS-Traveller : Thanks for your response , but too late, I got a new flywheel installed since my mother has to leave at short notice tomorrow, I will remember this point and use your tip for the next time (many more miles to go, before she will be put to sleep). The problem though is finding a good machining shop, must check with a few cabbies on where they go.

Last edited by indivic : 13th May 2010 at 19:57.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:41   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks deutscheafrikar (nice handle), the clutch seems very light and the take up is quite smooth (it feels like a different car now).

@ SS-Traveller : Thanks for your response , but too late, I got a new flywheel installed ...I will remember this point and use your tip for the next time .

indivic, Thanks. did you change the gearbox mounting? Oh don't worry you won't need to change the clutch plate again if used well. When you get your next service done, check the clutch cable. Mine was real bad and a new one does a world of good

regards
Old 19th May 2010, 21:35   #580
Senior - BHPian

SS-Traveller
I had two old Good years at the rear with new apollo acclere's in front. So one day I interchanged the tyres. I noticed when I took a sharp right on a slope the left front wheel made a noise like the wheel nuts were loose. My mech felt it was axle noise. However when I put the good accleres in front once again the noise dissapeared. So I bought two more accleres for the rear. Now the old accleres had done 3500km. Since then Ive driven about 575 km to goa and noticed the front left tyre is a bit choppy on the outside.

Anyidea what could make that rattle. I feel this choppy wear is linked
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th May 2010 at 21:38.
Old 19th May 2010, 22:14   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...when I took a sharp right on a slope the left front wheel made a noise like the wheel nuts were loose. My mech felt it was axle noise.
...and noticed the front left tyre is a bit choppy on the outside.
The problems you describe point to a front axle CV joint issue. Get the CV joint repaired / replaced. Also check (and replace if necessary) the rubber boot (bellow) protecting that joint - problems usually occur if that boot is torn/cut - something like this.

Name:  CVjoint.jpg
Views: 5384
Size:  105.0 KB

Not sure why the noise won't happen when you've got Apollo Aceleres in front - are they a different size than the Goodyears?
Old 20th May 2010, 10:30   #582
Senior - BHPian

My indica has begun to shudder a bit during cold starts.

The RPM falls, and the engine starts vibrating , then rpm goes back up after a while ( not rpm surging. the intervals last several seconds) ,and sometimes this process repeats and there is a lot of white smoke emitted.

issue does not happen during the day. only during the early morning start.

any ideas?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:39   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

The RPM falls, and the engine starts vibrating , then rpm goes back up after a while ( not rpm surging. the intervals last several seconds) ,and sometimes this process repeats and there is a lot of white smoke emitted.

any ideas?
Could be defective heater plugs.Try a few repeats of the heating cycle before first start to confirm.

If heater plugs seem OK,may be due to clogged injector nozzles.

cheers!
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 16:45   #584
BHPian

Exclamation Query here...

With the steering tilted completely to the right and on a slope, the car experienced volatile rpm ranging between 800 - 1200 and the engine jus shut-off.

Felt wierd after 60K long kms and 2.5yrs - first time something like this has occurred.

Any clues to what could be the reason for an abrupt & volatile rpm jump couppled with engine shut-off.

The car is a Indi V2 Turbo, June'07 model.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 18:50   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

any ideas?
Likely causes can be
  1. One or more glow plugs not working. Common issue with Indicas - check & replace;
  2. Clogged injector nozzles (both mentioned by Citron) - try using System-D;
  3. Water in diesel/accumulated in filter bowls - drain, replace filters as required, clean fuel tank if required;
  4. Jammed EGR valve (do you get heavy smoke during rapid acceleration when driving during the day? even though the car starts normally?);
  5. Air in fuel lines (worst case scenario).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
With the steering tilted completely to the right and on a slope, the car experienced volatile rpm ranging between 800 - 1200 and the engine jus shut-off.

Felt wierd after 60K long kms and 2.5yrs - first time something like this has occurred.

Any clues to what could be the reason for an abrupt & volatile rpm jump couppled with engine shut-off.
Did you have low diesel levels in the tank? Did the car start up normally after the engine stopped? Are you able to reproduce the problem?