Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st May 2010, 19:01   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Did you have low diesel levels in the tank? Did the car start up normally after the engine stopped? Are you able to reproduce the problem?
Yup. The car did start up normally after the engine stopped.

Low levels of fuel in tank is the nearest link.

Should resolve this issue to report back tomorrow.

Thank you, SS.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 20:58   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problems you describe point to a front axle CV joint issue. Get the CV joint repaired / replaced. Also check (and replace if necessary) the rubber boot (bellow) protecting that joint - problems usually occur if that boot is torn/cut - something like this.

Not sure why the noise won't happen when you've got Apollo Aceleres in front - are they a different size than the Goodyears?

The CV Joint rubber Booths are in good condition

yes the original is 175/65/14 the accleres are 185/60/14
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:29   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
The CV Joint rubber Booths are in good condition

yes the original is 175/65/14 the accleres are 185/60/14
The noise is because of the extra load on the CV joint during a turn because of the wider tyre. The narrower tyres don't exceed that load threshold somehow, and don't generate the noise yet - but soon will. Have the CV joints repaired / replaced.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:06   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
With the steering tilted completely to the right and on a slope, the car experienced volatile rpm ranging between 800 - 1200 and the engine jus shut-off.

Felt wierd after 60K long kms and 2.5yrs - first time something like this has occurred.

Any clues to what could be the reason for an abrupt & volatile rpm jump couppled with engine shut-off.

The car is a Indi V2 Turbo, June'07 model.
With steering turned completely, the PS hydraulic pump will put extra load on the engine. The governer (of the FIP) is not being able to deal with it. With this level of surging/ hunting, I would say something in the governer is badly worn. Otherwise I would say the governing system is gumming up. A confirmatory test would be to rev the engine to say 3000 rpm, and suddenly let go the throttle. The engine will stop or almost stop.

Can't explain the slope.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 12:49   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
With steering turned completely, the PS hydraulic pump will put extra load on the engine. The governer (of the FIP) is not being able to deal with it. With this level of surging/ hunting, I would say something in the governer is badly worn. Otherwise I would say the governing system is gumming up. A confirmatory test would be to rev the engine to say 3000 rpm, and suddenly let go the throttle. The engine will stop or almost stop.

Can't explain the slope.

Regards
Sutripta
Have tried the hi-rev test and seems fine with no stops or almost stops.

At the incidence, the car was low on fuel and to that was added the A/C, the sharp hi-rise 'parking curves' in a mall driveway, 4 well-fed pax on-board and a throttle speed of abt 25kmph - guess a wrong combination of sorts did me in.

But, now am payin extra attention to such an occurance and shall keep the forum reported.

Safe for now.

Thanx for writing in, as well.

Cheers.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 11:23   #591
BHPian

Default Indica DLG - Hard Clutch

Clutch has become very hard, it really pain to drive it. ODO is at 60K Kms. It is a signal for worn-out clutch pending for replacement. It used to fine and had given it for servicing 3 weeks back. Usually used to get it serviced at TASS, but this time had it done private garage.

Anyway to figure-out if the problem is with worn-out clutch
srinivasmhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:47   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The noise is because of the extra load on the CV joint during a turn because of the wider tyre. The narrower tyres don't exceed that load threshold somehow, and don't generate the noise yet - but soon will. Have the CV joints repaired / replaced.
SS, I guess I must have confused the issue. It's the other way around. The narrower tyres made the noise. It's absolutely fine with the wider tyres. So I went and bought two more wide accleres
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:54   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
Clutch has become very hard, it really pain to drive it. ODO is at 60K Kms. It is a signal for worn-out clutch pending for replacement. It used to fine and had given it for servicing 3 weeks back. Usually used to get it serviced at TASS, but this time had it done private garage.

Anyway to figure-out if the problem is with worn-out clutch
Its not necessarily the clutch plates.

Check the clutch cable and its settings.

Indica used cables right?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:23   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Indica used cables right?
No. Vista uses cables.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 19:24   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
indivic, Thanks. did you change the gearbox mounting? Oh don't worry you won't need to change the clutch plate again if used well. When you get your next service done, check the clutch cable. Mine was real bad and a new one does a world of good

regards
No, the gearbox mount or clutch bell housing is yet to be changed. Guess what I did with the old flywheel, when my mom took the car to our native village, I just dumped it in the boot and asked the driver(he comes from the town nearby) to have it machined and polished.

Today I got it back , looking nice and shiny. What it cost me - Rs.150/-
It was still a good lesson learnt, never plan a repair very close to a long trip.

I also had the clutch cable changed along with the plate replacement, cable was not looking too good.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 11:52   #596
BHPian

Hello all once again, I am planning to sell off my Xeta GLX in a few days, and retain my V2 LSi. I understand that Indica uses an Electronic distributorless Ignition system controlled by the ECU. I have installed K&N CAI on my V2, performance on AC at Higher RPMs is much better, Now I want to upgrade to MSD ignition systems. Previously I had done that on my 1999 carb M 800. Since that was an entirely different setup, I ask the gurus to suggest the exact compatible bolt on module of MSD without any electrical modifications. I wish to get a little more from my Indica in terms of performance. Thank you all in advance.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 16:59   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
I wish to get a little more from my Indica in terms of performance. Thank you all in advance.
What exactly do you want from your car, as Indica petrol (or diesel)is not that tuner friendly. It is little that you can do in it.

And adding a K&N filter and my performance increased xx% is just a feel good factor. Believe me!
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 01:49   #598
BHPian

i want to improve engine behaviour. I dont want Gold sensor to signal the ecu for better throttle enhancement, instead I wish to try msd ignition module which can be connected in series or as parellel circuitry. Mine is pure petrol. I have driven 10 kms without any air filter, suddenly engine noise subsided, vibrations vanished and that encouraged me to attach a CAI. There was no difference in pickup with ac on or off. This change in drive may not be applicable on most cars.
Old 5th June 2010, 17:32   #599
BHPian

Today on my way to Mumbai, while passing through Pardi flyover NH8, my V2 petrol was running on full AC and suddenly the temperature needle reached red mark. AC stopped working and I pulled over, tried to put some coolant in the coolant water but due to pressure of the hot fluid, burnt my fingers, little knowing the coolant level was intact.

Waited for an hour to let the engine cool down and drove to Valsad, Lucas-tvs, checked the radiator fan relay, was working alright, but the fan fuse of 80A and a secondary fuse had blown off and charred. He did it within seconds. He also explained that fuse burning can happen to any new car too.

I have read quite a lot of Indica overheating stories, new and old. I was baffled for sometime, thinking about the radiator fan going off or the water pump failure.

I thank God almighty for bringing us back to my hometown where the car stood up in minutes.

part2: Another sad story of TASC, this time Carewell Motors, Valsad. My driver took my Indica to the service centre yesterday to get the windscreen wiper linkages changed. The service engineer's reply was " your car is too old now, why spend Rs 3800 on the new set, get them cleaned and serviced for Rs 1000 and collect your car in 4-5 days".

Got the entire windscreen wiper assembly with the motor and sprinkler serviced today afternoon at Lucas-TVS-Lion Auto Electricals, Valsad for Rs 550. Also got the starter and alternator opened and serviced for Rs 300. The windscreen wiper linkage had not corroded but jammed, unable to find a direct spare replacement in the local market.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:26   #600
BHPian

Indica DLS V2 2004 fails to start when the Engine is Hot enough for the Fan to go ON and Temp Needle touching Centre.Remedy Please?
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote