Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th June 2010, 20:55   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junniaga View Post
Indica DLS V2 2004 fails to start when the Engine is Hot enough for the Fan to go ON and Temp Needle touching Centre.Remedy Please?
Go to the Lucas service centre in your city and have them check it. It could be the starter motor or the battery.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 21:26   #602
BHPian

junniaga does your car has ECU? If it has then please check whether it has ECU cover on it. The problem I think is due to water entering the ECU maybe due engine being washed or any other reason. Please get it checked at the workshop.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:47   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Go to the Lucas service centre in your city and have them check it. It could be the starter motor or the battery.
i think we dont have it in Srinagar Kashmir. although i knw my battery is up for change

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
junniaga does your car has ECU? If it has then please check whether it has ECU cover on it. The problem I think is due to water entering the ECU maybe due engine being washed or any other reason. Please get it checked at the workshop.
I dont think thats causing it as after washing or in Rains car is alright!
kcj3b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:21   #604
BHPian

There is atleast one Lucas auto electrical in srinagar. Someone has posted exact address of the centre in srinagar on TBHP.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:06   #605
BHPian

The alternator belt in my Indica DLS (2004) starts slipping even on passing through a small puddle. It is much worse during rains when it slips continuously. Have had the belt changed twice and tightened but the problem remains. Please advise.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:00   #606
BHPian

The issue described is a very simple one but its an annoying thing. The culprit is a small valve located in the manual diesel pump. Its function is to prevent the disel's return flow to the tank when the engine is off.
Sometime this can lead to poor acceleration and jerking of vehicle when accelerator is suddenly pressed.

Checks required for confirming this valve issue.
1. Engine won’t start in cold condition (mostly during the first start in the morning)
2. If the engine is not starting, open the engine compartment and on the right side of you just beneath the LHS head lamp of your vehicle you can see the fuel filer and the manual valve, rotate the manual valve in anticlockwise so that it get loose and pulls up. push the valve up and down many times till the valve gets hard.
3. If you find the valve very easy to push up and down then we can confirm that the issue is the valve itself.
4. Go to some fuel pump repair shop and tell them to replace the valve. it will cost only RS. 200 to 300.
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:51   #607
BHPian

Hi All,

I own an Indica which is ten years old, which i got last year, nowadays after driving some distance , say 20 or 30 kms and switch the car off, and if i try to start it again within 2 or 3 minutes, the car refuses to start. Then i switch off the ignition key and try to start again, it starts perfectly, no issues. I usually wait for the coil lights to go off, then only i start, so does anyone have any idea about what this issue might be?
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:13   #608
BHPian

Get the starter serviced at a Lucas/Bosch centre, it should go away. It is a problem with many old Indicas.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:11   #609
Senior - BHPian

"Refuses to start" I would need a bit more than that.

It cranks but does not start or it doesn't even crank with a kat-kat sound.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 17:11   #610
BHPian

i guess it doesn't even crank, and a gives low thud thud sound, but only once. after that it starts
Old 4th August 2010, 19:23   #611
Senior - BHPian

its a bendix drive problem. Get it replaced/serviced.

For peace of mind change the whole starter motor.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th August 2010 at 19:26.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:36   #612
BHPian

Sorry for troubling again, any approximate cost of the same?
Old 4th August 2010, 21:53   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
Sorry for troubling again, any approximate cost of the same?
No problem man!

to tell you the truth, i have no idea about tata parts cost. But a bit of advice. Don't buy the starter motor from TATA service outlet. they will cost a bomb.

Buy directly from Lucas-TVS or Denso dealer. it will be much cheaper. Fitting it is easy, a 10 minute job and any mechanic can do it.

I am not so much keen on repairing the starter motor. They are not that successful and will not last long. i have seen this part failing too prematurely in Indicas. Your lasted 10 years, that should be a record.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th August 2010 at 21:54.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:16   #614
BHPian

SirAlec, the thing is , i did not own this indica for the past ten years, i own it only for the past 1.5 yrs
Old 20th August 2010, 19:08   #615
BHPian

With utmost love I brought back an Indica petrol once again. SirAlec, most petrol Indicas suffer from sequential or intermittent engine missing. Why do petrol Indicas have engine missing issues? Since it bears an EDIS ignition I am eager to know the answer.